RUMOR: Benjamin Allbright Cites Conjecture that Brian Daboll Could Replace Marrone in Jacksonville

Midwest1981

1 hour ago, Flip Johnson said:

There will be some weird hires this offseason with the trend towards innovative offensive minds. Some guys that wouldn't previously have been considered deserving will get hired, but I'm not sure that will include Daboll.

Not only that, but we could end up with like 8 head coach vacancies this offseason so teams will likely have to go pretty far down the list to find their new coach. Wouldn't shock me if Daboll gets interviews. Ties to Belichick and Saban and the general consensus has been that he's done a good job this year. Allbright isn't the first person to mention Daboll as a possibility for teams this offseason.

Edited by DCOrange

18 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

LOL

I used to live down the street from someone who had an old black busted ass chevy cavalier, and on the hood had an Audi symbol

This reminds me of the time I bought a new Audi and kept my beat up old VW Golf with the drivers side held together with bolts & Bondo for the 1st winter.  When I drove the VW I'm sure the other drivers had a whole different opinion of me than when I drove the Audi.  I was thinking of getting a bumper sticker to put on the VW saying "My other car is a new Audi" just because it really was but never did.  The problem with the VW was that if it got wet it would stall out whenever the car stopped for a light.  I once got stuck in a traffic jam where it was continually stalling and got a lot of grief from the people behind me.  All I could think of was I should have driven in the Audi that day.

• Haha (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Daboll is a Bills fan though correct? This is his dream job. Give him another offseason to tweak and make changes. If Daboll is successful with Allen though then I could see him being a desirable HC candidate. Ultimately Daboll needs to put up numbers for a few years. Build that resume up.

Being an offensive coordinator probably is not his dream job. And things change. Being the head coach at Syracuse was Doug Marrone's dream job. Then he unceremoniously left to become the head coach of his local-ish NFL team: his new dream job. Then he left Buffalo and ended up in Jacksonville.

If Daboll is offered a head coaching job, I would not at all be surprised if he took it, especially coming off a season in which the offense was pretty putrid.

30 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Except that there really don’t appear to be any very good QB’s this year.

Besides, the team is in cap hell, and old man Caughlin calls all the shots.

Jags will probably be the worst opening.

Just off the top of my head I would think the Redskins potential opening is easily the worst.

I don't think the Jags opening is bad at all to be honest, and even so, I doubt Daboll will have his pick of the litter. If he's offered any head coaching job this offseason, it could easily end up being the only one he gets for many years.

The Jags will have basically all the pieces of what should have been an elite defense intact next season (minus Dareus and probably one other underperforming player like Barry Church). Offensively, they'll have to figure out the QB position and probably iron out the O-Line but they don't have many holes to fill to be right back in the playoff picture again next year IMO

Edited by DCOrange

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Daboll must have a lot of inappropriate pics saved in his phone of owners wives. I just don’t get it 

His play designs are actually quite good--his ability as a play-caller is something I'm skeptical of at this point, but who knows how much of that has been trying to (a) protect his rookie QB, or (b) protect his offense when all he's got is a 3rd-string or replacement-caliber QB running the show.

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

Just off the top of my head I would think the Redskins potential opening is easily the worst.

I don't think the Jags opening is bad at all to be honest, and even so, I doubt Daboll will have his pick of the litter. If he's offered any head coaching job this offseason, it could easily end up being the only one he gets for many years.

The Jags will have basically all the pieces of what should have been an elite defense intact next season (minus Dareus and probably one other underperforming player like Barry Church). Offensively, they'll have to figure out the QB position and probably iron out the O-Line but they don't have many holes to fill to be right back in the playoff picture again next year IMO

In addition to GB and Cleveland, I feel like we could see any of NYJ, Jax, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Arizona (yes, I think Wilkes could be one-and-done), Carolina, Tampa Bay, Atlanta make a coaching change.

Crazy

1 hour ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

A team hiring daboll at head coach this off season is a gutsy hire.

Daboll's coaching trajectory is he will be a head coach at some point if he wants it, but to hire him this off season. What has the guy done?

My thoughts exactly.  He hasn’t had the greatest players to work with, but he also hasn’t shown himself (yet) to be an excellent offensive mind in the NFL.

I don’t think Daboll gets a HC job this year. A more interesting conversation would be what happens if the offense takes a major step forward next year and Allen/Daboll take the league by storm.

He would definetly fit the mold of an OC who can work with a young quarterback and he would be a lock for a HC job. Would the Bills entertain promoting Daboll to HC to keep him from leaving. 

I know, deal with the problem when/if it comes but it’s not that far fetched. If McD still can’t get the game management part of coaching down I think they Pegulas would have a tough decision.

56 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Marrone is going to the Jets I think. I think he wants out of Jacksonville and wants to go be with his boy Mike Maccagnan. They Jets hired their coach and GM separately, which obviously is dumb. I believe that Marrone is the guy Mike Maccagnan wants to be his head coach. If Marrone isn't fired he will probably quit anyway to go to the Jets.  

Oh, I don’t know. I just can’t see Marrone choosing to simply quit and walk away for another coaching job.

• Haha (+1) 1

Funny that three weeks ago Daboll was getting fired from the Bills... now he is the trendy new Head Coach candidate..

Hope they get at least one more year out of him..I would like to see what he can do with Year 2 Allen with some weapons and an OL 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

It would be like the last time an inept organization hired away our coordinator (Pettine).

It’s like anytime anyone has even a glimmer of success in Buffalo the rest of the league is like wow that guy must be a genius! Or a “Saint...”

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Didnt Chris Polian suck as GM of the colts?

If I'm a person potentially getting my first HC gig, the last person I want to be tied to is Chris Polian.  A HC typically succeeds or fails based on the talent he has and I wouldn't trust Chris to give you any help there.