December 7th 1941

/dev/null

Got to tour the site while on an anniversary trip to Oahu, and it is nuts how "right there" the ships are under the waterline--you can literally almost see everything it's that low. That and the fuel oil bubbles that periodically come up if you're paying attention. IIRC, the legend is that they will stop leaking oil when the last survivor joins his brothers on the other side. It was a moving and powerful experience, highly recommend. 

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Got to tour the site on while on an anniversary trip to Oahu, and it is nuts how "right there" the ships are under the waterline--you can literally almost see everything it's that low. That and the fuel oil bubbles that periodically come up if you're paying attention. IIRC, the legend is that they will stop leaking oil when the last survivor joins his brothers on the other side. It was a moving and powerful experience, highly recommend. 

I'm a little concerned as to the future of the Arizona and Utah memorial sites.  Visits to the Arizona Memorial have been suspended due to structural problems and the ship itself has structural fatigue issues.  I would like to think that it is inconceivable that the Arizona would be cut up and moved but you don't how the people of the future will feel about a crumbling wreck that by a lot of estimates still has half a million gallons of fuel oil aboard.  The USS Texas is not fairing a whole lot better with itself having structural fatigue issues and the salt water of the Gulf of Mexico making further damage.  Should have been placed at a Northern freshwater site.  USS Pennsylvania should have been considered for preservation but I understand it would have come at great cost at a time when most Americans wanted to put the war behind them.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I'm a little concerned as to the future of the Arizona and Utah memorial sites.  Visits to the Arizona Memorial have been suspended due to structural problems and the ship itself has structural fatigue issues.  I would like to think that it is inconceivable that the Arizona would be cut up and moved but you don't how the people of the future will feel about a crumbling wreck that by a lot of estimates still has half a million gallons of fuel oil aboard.  The USS Texas is not fairing a whole lot better with itself having structural fatigue issues and the salt water of the Gulf of Mexico making further damage.  Should have been placed at a Northern freshwater site.  USS Pennsylvania should have been considered for preservation but I understand it would have come at great cost at a time when most Americans wanted to put the war behind them.

Sobering reality, thanks for sharing the info. I went in 2010. Should not have a price tag to keep them around and stable, but you never know 

14 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

My grandfather was on the USS Pennsylvania.

Unfortunately I did not have a good relationship with him, but I still respect that he served his country and survived that horrific day at Pearl Harbor.

it was tough getting them to talk about it

i had to craft extremely respectful good questions to get a decent answer

glad I did it a few times

just thinking a bit about my grandparent's WW2 generation that volunteered to go and fight from Canada

i couldn't even imagine sucking it up and volunteering for military service in a safer assignment

5 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Sadly, a date that is of little interest to many people today.  

That's perfectly natural. 

As WWII passes out of living memory, it will become more and more distant.

I didn't see many threads here commemorating the 100th anniversary of key events from WWI, for example, these last several years.  It's too distant now and few remember the Battle of the Somme, for example, despite it killing or wounding @ 1 million men.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

That's perfectly natural. 

As WWII passes out of living memory, it will become more and more distant.

I didn't see many threads here commemorating the 100th anniversary of key events from WWI, for example, these last several years.  It's too distant now and few remember the Battle of the Somme, for example, despite it killing or wounding @ 1 million men.

I think that is because the US forces were not even at the first battle of Somme iirc

WW1 was horrific but we were dragged into that too... it wasn’t ours to fight and as time goes by memories fade

WW2 wasn’t ours either until December 7th and we were forced to join

Edited by Buffalo716

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

I think that is because the US forces were not even at the first battle of Somme iirc

WW1 was horrific but we were dragged into that too... it wasn’t ours to fight and as time goes by memories fade

WW2 wasn’t ours either until December 7th and we were forced to join

Zimmerman telegram and the Lusitania were less dramatic events than Pearl Harbor.  The Lusitania might have been the powder keg to set us off but almost right after the sinking it came to light it was hauling a very substantial amount of military cargo.  My feeling in light of what took place that it was really the US being uncomfortable with Germany being a predominant military power.  Britain and France were known quantities and known attitudes when it came to the US so the US was comfortable with the status quo as it was prior to WWI.

Edited by RochesterRob

38 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Zimmerman telegram and the Lusitania were less dramatic events than Pearl Harbor.  The Lusitania might have been the powder keg to set us off but almost right after the sinking it came to light it was hauling a very substantial amount of military cargo.  My feeling in light of what took place that it was really the US being uncomfortable with Germany being a predominant military power.  Britain and France were known quantities and known attitudes when it came to the US so the US was comfortable with the status quo as it was prior to WWI.

And there is a whole bunch of questions surrounding the Lusitania... But that was a war fought because of royal families 

King George, Kaiser Wilhelm , and Czar Nicholas all first cousins

something the United States doesn’t like to deal with

Edited by Buffalo716