Jump to content
PUNT750

The NFL has killed the Golden Goose - ITSELF!

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, PUNT750 said:

Between - -

 

Penalties -an average of 14 per NFL game ACCEPTED

 

Rules - changing then each year especially involving kick-offs, tackling and now soon to come punting to meet the players abilities

 

Taunting - allowing it on each and every play but calling a penalty on it only selectively

 

Celebrations - for an interception, fumble recovery or a TD

 

And Finally - - lowering the overall beauty of a great game with excellent athletes by allowing street thugs with no respect for anyone but themselves to become football hero's.  It's going to be a sad ending for those of us that love the game.

 

Penalties - Its not that amount of penalties (I don't know how you legislate lower amount of penalties without resulting in a bunch of missed calls) but rather it should be about consistency in the rules. 

Rules - Changing rules year to year is fairly common in sports leagues. I don't have an issue with tweaking things. The rules of the NFL and how they are enforced aren't set in stone they are subject to adjustment. 

Taunting  and Celebrations - No one liked the No Fun League the loosening of the celebration rules are a good thing. It allows the players to have a personality. 

 

I think the biggest issue with the NFL is the Thursday Night Games and the lack of consistent enforcement in the games. The Thursday games have overexposed the product and resulted in most bad games played on Thursdays. The players hate it a lot of fans don't like it. It used to be that after Monday NFL football went away. If you are a college fan and an NFL fan it used to be that you got a 4 day break between Monday and Saturday games. Now football is just on all days of the week and its causing fatigue among the audience. 

 

I also think the lack of consistency and innovation in rules is lacking which is hurting in the product. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thursday night games just brought in the biggest revenue for a single night.

The next tv contract is going to be insane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

If we don't want to watch elite athletes we can watch BYU football instead lol. Don't we all just love watching the Harvard-Yale rivalry week? It's the toast of the town for football fans. It's everybody's choice.. but we're getting what we signed up for when we watch pro sports: ultra talented entertaining and polarizing athletes.

 

I've actually enjoyed college games more than the pro games this year.  The officiating is more consistent, the games have more passion and the fans really get into it. I love the marching bands in the stands, cheerleaders, die hards geared up and the true rivalries inside the major conferences. Conference championships and bowl games make Holiday football worth watching.  Way better than the Jags-Titans Thursday.

Edited by BillsRdue
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, PUNT750 said:

Between - -

 

Penalties -an average of 14 per NFL game ACCEPTED

 

Rules - changing then each year especially involving kick-offs, tackling and now soon to come punting to meet the players abilities

 

Taunting - allowing it on each and every play but calling a penalty on it only selectively

 

Celebrations - for an interception, fumble recovery or a TD

 

And Finally - - lowering the overall beauty of a great game with excellent athletes by allowing street thugs with no respect for anyone but themselves to become football hero's.  It's going to be a sad ending for those of us that love the game.

 

I agree with 1 & 3. Number 2 is okay for reducing head injuries. 

 

I disagree with 4 & 5. 

 

4. Celebrations are pretty fun to watch.

 

5. A bit more problematic. There are as many good old traditional heroes in the NFL as ever. The Bradys, Wittens, Mannings, Brees and so on. 

 

Then, there are the anti-heroes like the Ramseys, Newtons, and Lynches.

 

But the NFL has had this dimension for a long time. Think Deion Sanders or Romanowski vs. Barry Sanders or Montana.

 

In terms of thugs, who do you mean? 

What constitutes a thug?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Interesting that you assumed he is white when he gave no indication to his race or heritage.  It's funny that people will bite your head of for stereotyping pretty much any group unless you are applying a negative stereotype to a white man.  Because we all know how most white men are evil, racist monsters. 

 

Are you crying? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

 

I've actually enjoyed college games more than the pro games this year.  The officiating is more consistent, the games have more passion and the fans really get into it. I love the marching bands in the stands, cheerleaders, die hards geared up and the true rivalries inside the major conferences. Conference championships and bowl games make Holiday football worth watching.  Way better than the Jags-Titans Thursday.

 

good post, all valid reasons why college ball is better to watch, IMO. Not only is the officiating way more consistent, there are no officials named Hochuli in the NCAA ...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

 

Are you crying? 

 

 

If that is the best you can do it is better to not say anything at all rather than show everyone that you lack the capacity to come up with something the least bit witty or somewhat thought provoking.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

If that is the best you can do it is better to not say anything at all rather than show everyone that you lack the capacity to come up with something the least bit witty or somewhat thought provoking.  

 

Oh, I have the capacity. 

 

I would also assume that you are white. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

 

Oh, I have the capacity. 

 

I would also assume that you are white. 

 

 

 

 

any assumption involving race on a message board is dangerous and makes me question your said capacity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, BuffaninATL said:

 

any assumption involving race on a message board is dangerous and makes me question your said capacity

 

But are they white?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The demographic of people sitting at home watching the whole game on TV and fully absorbing all the commercials has to be rapidly diminishing

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Interesting that you assumed he is white when he gave no indication to his race or heritage.  It's funny that people will bite your head of for stereotyping pretty much any group unless you are applying a negative stereotype to a white man.  Because we all know how most white men are evil, racist monsters. 

 

No. It is not that most white men are evil, racist monsters (and you have to see the irony in your statement). 

 

It's just that a certain conception of whiteness is associated with institutional, economic, and structural violence, such as colonialism, neocolonialism, slavery, genocide, segregation, etc. I am of Euro heritage (2nd generation in the US), so I see what you're saying. But that doesn't erase the legacy of these of very problematic historical facts of how white men empirically and actually behave(d) in the world. 

 

It is very easy to see that the OP is white because the post veils (not very well) a stereotype of black athletes. 

 

The NFL is a mixed bag of personalities and so forth. It is hyper-patriotic to please the patriots and nationalists. It emphasizes narratives of success while overcoming great odds (rags to riches or American dream). It creates good versus evil scenarios or plot lines. It is overtly violent.

 

At times, I think a people from an assortment of backgrounds and beliefs question their fandom, but a huge number of people still watch because the NFL is entertainment and involves all the elements of a soap opera or dramatic film. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On December 7, 2018 at 12:48 AM, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Make fun of him if you want but he is right.  Almost every play you have to wait to see if there is a flag coming before you can feel good about what just happened.  They have added too many penalties to artificially add offense just like the NBA and that league sucks now too.  Greg Popovich is right when he says all that matters is the 3 and the game is worse because of it.  There are just too many damn penalties.  There is no consistency to the hitting the QB rules and way too many questionable defensive holding/pass interference calls that give offenses easy first downs and move drives along when teams should be punting.  Rules that have nothing to do with player safety and were just added to increase offense and make it way too easy for teams to move the ball down field, especially at the end of games. 

 

I really hope the XFL is able to have an impact so the NFL will be forced to adapt.  Under Roger Goodell the NFL has gone over the top in an effort to get the casual fan that they will never really have completely at the expense of the game itself.  The game kind of sucks now but I love the Bills so much I still watch.  The league will regret what they have done to the game a generation from now.

 

 

Oh boy...where to start with this one?

 

Besides the obvious flaw in pronouncing 2 professional sports leagues with massive ratings "dead"...people have been complaining about refereeing for many years.  It's an old saw. It has little power to persuade.

 

Too much Offense in today's game?  Only 3 teams are scoring over 30ppg.  9 teams are under 20ppg.   Is the NFL helping stacked offenses like KC, LA and NO score more points?  Obviously  not.

 

Goodell isn't on the Competition Committee, which proposes rule changes that only the owners vote on, so why cry about him about all this?  He's the owner's spokesman and (extremely well paid) public punching bag.  The fact that some fans such as yourself STILL focus on Goodell as the guy who runs the league means that Tery, Kim, Jerry, Bob and all the rest are happy to pay Goodell all that dough...

 

And the XFL having "an impact"?  Come on....you can't be serious.  What will this doomed league "Force" the NFL to "adapt" to?

 

Just sit back and enjoy the game....or switch to soccer on TV.  That's the "beautiful game" you're looking for, right? 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Maybe old people annoy young people over changing social climate and vice versa, across all races and classes, as has been the case for every new generation in American history.

 

One change to your statement...no need to confine this to American history. See below quote attributed to Socrates, which I first heard in fifth grade. Now that I'm in my 60's, I smile every time my thoughts go down this path and remember it. This is the way things have always been and always will be.

 

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for
authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place
of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their
households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They
contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties
at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

 

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=408989

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/7/2018 at 6:14 AM, BurpleBull said:

Old white man rant.

 

Old black men are OK with these chages?  Are you sure?  How do you know?  Have you asked them?

 

How does race play into this at all?  Please explain.

 

And people wonder why racism is getting worse. Everything is about race even when it's not.  Unless you can convince me otherwise.

Edited by reddogblitz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

 

Old black men are OK with these chages?  Are you sure?  How do you know?  Have you asked them?

 

How does race play into this at all?  Please explain.

 

And people wonder why racism is getting worse. Everything is about race even when it's not.  Unless you can convince me otherwise.

 

I was speaking specifically about the original poster...

 

If you don't see how race could play into this, then neither do I.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BurpleBull said:

 

I was speaking specifically about the original poster...

 

If you don't see how race could play into this, then neither do I.

 

 

 

ok cool.

 

I had no idea who it was directed at.  FYI - if responding to a specific post or comment it's good practice IMHO to quote what you are responding to so we all know.  We're not mind readers.

 

i did look at the original post again and I guess you were worked up over the word "thug".  I had forgotten it was a racial slur. It's hard to keep up these days.

 

And, are you sure the OP is an "old white man"?   it's kind of racist/sexist/ageist to assume so if you don't know.

Edited by reddogblitz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for all the most intelligent replies.

Sometimes you just have to look at reality and the statistics!

 

Seventy three percent (73%) of African-American men comprise NFL rosters despite representing only six percent (6%) of the United States' population. 

While the majority of NFL players are black, the NFL fan base is 85 percent (85%) white and 68 percent (68%) male.

12.3 Percent of the US Population is Black (not a mixture with other races).  46 Percent of those numbers are males.  That comes to 16 mil black males of all ages 1-80.

The NFL has no African-Americans who are a majority owner of a team and no African-American CEOs or Presidents.

SO - - How many of the 16 mil black males from 1-80 POST on white-driven NFL message boards???

Love you guys!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

 

ok cool.

 

I had no idea who it was directed at.  FYI - if responding to a specific post or comment it's good practice IMHO to quote what you are responding to so we all know.  We're not mind readers.

 

i did look at the original post again and I guess you were worked up over the word "thug".  I had forgotten it was a racial slur. It's hard to keep up these days.

 

And, are you sure the OP is an "old white man"?   it's kind of racist/sexist/ageist to assume so if you don't know.

 

You weren't responding out of confusion as to who I was directing the comment towards, you responded because I said this was an "old white man rant".

 

It's obvious who I directed it to: the original poster, who was attempting to subtly racialize what he feels is wrong with the league.

 

You probably feel somewhat silenced in a world that "will bite your head off for stereotyping pretty much any group unless you are applying a negative stereotype to a white man" so you attempt to downplay subtle, racial jabs like this one, as to keep the voice from being silenced completely; I was more blunt with my take, and that is your real problem, along with the two other posters who took issue. 

 

Funny thing is that his claims can be disputed as they are mere opinions, I speak as if factually on both his race and age group, and he doesn't dispute it.

 

I have no reason to believe that he isn't just what I stated he is: an old, white man who went on a rant because he feels trapped in an ever-changing world, that pales in comparison to how things were when he was coming up.  

 

Lastly, 46 total words in five posts, is hardly my idea of a person "worked up over the word 'thug''. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BurpleBull said:

You probably feel somewhat silenced in a world that "will bite your head off for stereotyping pretty much any group unless you are applying a negative stereotype to a white man" so you attempt to downplay subtle, racial jabs like this one, as to keep the voice from being silenced completely; I was more blunt with my take, and that is your real problem, along with the two other posters who took issue. 

 

Psychoanalyze it  however you want.

 

I don't like negative racial stereotyping of anyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×