The NFL has killed the Golden Goose - ITSELF!

PUNT750

23 hours ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Interesting that you assumed he is white when he gave no indication to his race or heritage.  It's funny that people will bite your head of for stereotyping pretty much any group unless you are applying a negative stereotype to a white man.  Because we all know how most white men are evil, racist monsters. 

No. It is not that most white men are evil, racist monsters (and you have to see the irony in your statement). 

It's just that a certain conception of whiteness is associated with institutional, economic, and structural violence, such as colonialism, neocolonialism, slavery, genocide, segregation, etc. I am of Euro heritage (2nd generation in the US), so I see what you're saying. But that doesn't erase the legacy of these of very problematic historical facts of how white men empirically and actually behave(d) in the world. 

It is very easy to see that the OP is white because the post veils (not very well) a stereotype of black athletes. 

The NFL is a mixed bag of personalities and so forth. It is hyper-patriotic to please the patriots and nationalists. It emphasizes narratives of success while overcoming great odds (rags to riches or American dream). It creates good versus evil scenarios or plot lines. It is overtly violent.

At times, I think a people from an assortment of backgrounds and beliefs question their fandom, but a huge number of people still watch because the NFL is entertainment and involves all the elements of a soap opera or dramatic film. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On December 7, 2018 at 12:48 AM, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Make fun of him if you want but he is right.  Almost every play you have to wait to see if there is a flag coming before you can feel good about what just happened.  They have added too many penalties to artificially add offense just like the NBA and that league sucks now too.  Greg Popovich is right when he says all that matters is the 3 and the game is worse because of it.  There are just too many damn penalties.  There is no consistency to the hitting the QB rules and way too many questionable defensive holding/pass interference calls that give offenses easy first downs and move drives along when teams should be punting.  Rules that have nothing to do with player safety and were just added to increase offense and make it way too easy for teams to move the ball down field, especially at the end of games. 

I really hope the XFL is able to have an impact so the NFL will be forced to adapt.  Under Roger Goodell the NFL has gone over the top in an effort to get the casual fan that they will never really have completely at the expense of the game itself.  The game kind of sucks now but I love the Bills so much I still watch.  The league will regret what they have done to the game a generation from now.

Oh boy...where to start with this one?

Besides the obvious flaw in pronouncing 2 professional sports leagues with massive ratings "dead"...people have been complaining about refereeing for many years.  It's an old saw. It has little power to persuade.

Too much Offense in today's game?  Only 3 teams are scoring over 30ppg.  9 teams are under 20ppg.   Is the NFL helping stacked offenses like KC, LA and NO score more points?  Obviously  not.

Goodell isn't on the Competition Committee, which proposes rule changes that only the owners vote on, so why cry about him about all this?  He's the owner's spokesman and (extremely well paid) public punching bag.  The fact that some fans such as yourself STILL focus on Goodell as the guy who runs the league means that Tery, Kim, Jerry, Bob and all the rest are happy to pay Goodell all that dough...

And the XFL having "an impact"?  Come on....you can't be serious.  What will this doomed league "Force" the NFL to "adapt" to?

Just sit back and enjoy the game....or switch to soccer on TV.  That's the "beautiful game" you're looking for, right? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Maybe old people annoy young people over changing social climate and vice versa, across all races and classes, as has been the case for every new generation in American history.

One change to your statement...no need to confine this to American history. See below quote attributed to Socrates, which I first heard in fifth grade. Now that I'm in my 60's, I smile every time my thoughts go down this path and remember it. This is the way things have always been and always will be.

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for
authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place
of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their
households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They
contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties
at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=408989

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/7/2018 at 6:14 AM, BurpleBull said:

Old white man rant.

Old black men are OK with these chages?  Are you sure?  How do you know?  Have you asked them?

How does race play into this at all?  Please explain.

And people wonder why racism is getting worse. Everything is about race even when it's not.  Unless you can convince me otherwise.

Edited by reddogblitz

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

Old black men are OK with these chages?  Are you sure?  How do you know?  Have you asked them?

How does race play into this at all?  Please explain.

And people wonder why racism is getting worse. Everything is about race even when it's not.  Unless you can convince me otherwise.

I was speaking specifically about the original poster...

If you don't see how race could play into this, then neither do I.

1 hour ago, BurpleBull said:

I was speaking specifically about the original poster...

If you don't see how race could play into this, then neither do I.

ok cool.

I had no idea who it was directed at.  FYI - if responding to a specific post or comment it's good practice IMHO to quote what you are responding to so we all know.  We're not mind readers.

i did look at the original post again and I guess you were worked up over the word "thug".  I had forgotten it was a racial slur. It's hard to keep up these days.

And, are you sure the OP is an "old white man"?   it's kind of racist/sexist/ageist to assume so if you don't know.

Edited by reddogblitz

Thank you for all the most intelligent replies.

Sometimes you just have to look at reality and the statistics!

Seventy three percent (73%) of African-American men comprise NFL rosters despite representing only six percent (6%) of the United States' population. 

While the majority of NFL players are black, the NFL fan base is 85 percent (85%) white and 68 percent (68%) male.

12.3 Percent of the US Population is Black (not a mixture with other races).  46 Percent of those numbers are males.  That comes to 16 mil black males of all ages 1-80.

The NFL has no African-Americans who are a majority owner of a team and no African-American CEOs or Presidents.

SO - - How many of the 16 mil black males from 1-80 POST on white-driven NFL message boards???

Love you guys!

6 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

ok cool.

I had no idea who it was directed at.  FYI - if responding to a specific post or comment it's good practice IMHO to quote what you are responding to so we all know.  We're not mind readers.

i did look at the original post again and I guess you were worked up over the word "thug".  I had forgotten it was a racial slur. It's hard to keep up these days.

And, are you sure the OP is an "old white man"?   it's kind of racist/sexist/ageist to assume so if you don't know.

You weren't responding out of confusion as to who I was directing the comment towards, you responded because I said this was an "old white man rant".

It's obvious who I directed it to: the original poster, who was attempting to subtly racialize what he feels is wrong with the league.

You probably feel somewhat silenced in a world that "will bite your head off for stereotyping pretty much any group unless you are applying a negative stereotype to a white man" so you attempt to downplay subtle, racial jabs like this one, as to keep the voice from being silenced completely; I was more blunt with my take, and that is your real problem, along with the two other posters who took issue. 

Funny thing is that his claims can be disputed as they are mere opinions, I speak as if factually on both his race and age group, and he doesn't dispute it.

I have no reason to believe that he isn't just what I stated he is: an old, white man who went on a rant because he feels trapped in an ever-changing world, that pales in comparison to how things were when he was coming up.  

Lastly, 46 total words in five posts, is hardly my idea of a person "worked up over the word 'thug''. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BurpleBull said:

You probably feel somewhat silenced in a world that "will bite your head off for stereotyping pretty much any group unless you are applying a negative stereotype to a white man" so you attempt to downplay subtle, racial jabs like this one, as to keep the voice from being silenced completely; I was more blunt with my take, and that is your real problem, along with the two other posters who took issue. 

Psychoanalyze it  however you want.

I don't like negative racial stereotyping of anyone.