The NFL has killed the Golden Goose - ITSELF!

PUNT750

Between - -

Penalties -an average of 14 per NFL game ACCEPTED

Rules - changing then each year especially involving kick-offs, tackling and now soon to come punting to meet the players abilities

Taunting - allowing it on each and every play but calling a penalty on it only selectively

Celebrations - for an interception, fumble recovery or a TD

And Finally - - lowering the overall beauty of a great game with excellent athletes by allowing street thugs with no respect for anyone but themselves to become football hero's.  It's going to be a sad ending for those of us that love the game.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, PUNT750 said:

Between - -

Penalties -an average of 14 per NFL game ACCEPTED

Rules - changing then each year especially involving kick-offs, tackling and now soon to come punting to meet the players abilities

Taunting - allowing it on each and every play but calling a penalty on it only selectively

Celebrations - for an interception, fumble recovery or a TD

And Finally - - lowering the overall beauty of a great game with excellent athletes by allowing street thugs with no respect for anyone but themselves to become football hero's.  It's going to be a sad ending for those of us that love the game.

Ok - I am sure you have quantifiable evidence of this beyond the ratings being up and more people watching even while total TV ratings are down significantly?

It is so dead that not 1, nor 2, but 3 spring leagues are looking at starting up to ride on the coattails of the NFL.

Yes the Golden Goose must be dead.

• Haha (+1) 2

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Make fun of him if you want but he is right.  Almost every play you have to wait to see if there is a flag coming before you can feel good about what just happened.  They have added too many penalties to artificially add offense just like the NBA and that league sucks now too.  Greg Popovich is right when he says all that matters is the 3 and the game is worse because of it.  There are just too many damn penalties.  There is no consistency to the hitting the QB rules and way too many questionable defensive holding/pass interference calls that give offenses easy first downs and move drives along when teams should be punting.  Rules that have nothing to do with player safety and were just added to increase offense and make it way too easy for teams to move the ball down field, especially at the end of games. 

I really hope the XFL is able to have an impact so the NFL will be forced to adapt.  Under Roger Goodell the NFL has gone over the top in an effort to get the casual fan that they will never really have completely at the expense of the game itself.  The game kind of sucks now but I love the Bills so much I still watch.  The league will regret what they have done to the game a generation from now.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

He's not right.

As a quick example, in 2006 (earliest year I could find stats extremely quickly) there were 11.8 penalties accepted per game, while this year so far 13.2. That's not some huge rise.

The problem for Bills fans is that we're the second most-penalized team so it seems that way to us. And we've been among the most-penalized for years.

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

He's not right.

As a quick example, in 2006 (earliest year I could find stats extremely quickly) there were 11.8 penalties accepted per game, while this year so far 13.2. That's not some huge rise.

The problem for Bills fans is that we're the second most-penalized team so it seems that way to us. And we've been among the most-penalized for years.

Quantitatively, I see your point......qualitatively, it's the the random & capricious nature of how/when penalties are called that sucks all the life out of this game. The NFL is a cartel controlled by big money &  big markets. For all those who refute these arguments and crow about how TV ratings are up, that speaks to the couch potato that is American society. No thank you. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Make fun of him if you want but he is right.  Almost every play you have to wait to see if there is a flag coming before you can feel good about what just happened.  They have added too many penalties to artificially add offense just like the NBA and that league sucks now too.  Greg Popovich is right when he says all that matters is the 3 and the game is worse because of it.  There are just too many damn penalties.  There is no consistency to the hitting the QB rules and way too many questionable defensive holding/pass interference calls that give offenses easy first downs and move drives along when teams should be punting.  Rules that have nothing to do with player safety and were just added to increase offense and make it way too easy for teams to move the ball down field, especially at the end of games. 

I really hope the XFL is able to have an impact so the NFL will be forced to adapt.  Under Roger Goodell the NFL has gone over the top in an effort to get the casual fan that they will never really have completely at the expense of the game itself.  The game kind of sucks now but I love the Bills so much I still watch.  The league will regret what they have done to the game a generation from now.

The question still is what proof do you have that he is right?  Ratings and Revenue are up once again.  They are working to open additional revenue streams like Amazon and are being successful.  Same thing with the NBA.  Greg Popovich is right the 3’s are killing the game - except TV and Revenue are up in the NBA also - especially since scoring rose and pace of play has increased.  Maybe the demographics the leagues are chasing is changing and the older coaches and fans are missing the boat.

Maybe the NFL and the NBA have started to adapt - they understand the newer generation of fans - growing up on Madden and other Video Games crave action and scoring.  Maybe they see the diehard fans will stick around, but that as we get older - you need to change and bring in younger fans also.  Boxing never learned this and they were King until the demographics became older and they never brought in the next generation of fans - baseball is struggling with this also.  

Penalties suck and have always sucked - the NFL will continue to have a perceived issue until they can simplify things, but that has not caused a decline in viewers or revenue.  The issue is the speed combined with the physicality of the game.  The human eye catches movement and the refs cover a huge area (even larger now due to speed and QB arm strength) - penalties are based on quick moments that are fleeting, but in reality for all of the complaining- they do a very good job of getting things right.

As for the XFL (or other summer leagues - up to 3 potential leagues now) - you state you want them to have an impact on the NFL, but in the paragraph above you complain about the rules making it easier for the offense to score - these two points are contradictory.  The XFL and the new league being presented by former players are looking at way to increase offense even more - including potentially going 7 on 7.  These changes are only going to reinforce that the NFL was already on the right path.

Finally - I am not sure the league will regret the changes - I think they are necessary if it is going to survive - what may kill the NFL (and I do see it eventually dropping down) is the lack of youth participation.  If parents keep kids from playing and better athletes play different sports - the level of play will drop and that will eventually have an impact, but so far colleges can still recruit enough players that this has not become a critical factor - this is the area to watch.  If several college programs drop football because of lack of players then you will have an issue the NFL can not overcome easily.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 hours ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Ok, the rule changes lately are a direct result of lawsuits thus they make rules for “player safety”.

other rules were made in direct whining by teams like the Colts

50 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Ok, the rule changes lately are a direct result of lawsuits thus they make rules for “player safety”.

other rules were made in direct whining by teams like the Colts

yes.  the NFL is a couple more massive head injury lawsuits from being in big trouble.   so change the rules.   works for me.  head hunting needs to be out of the game as the players are so much more powerful ; someone would eventually have been killed on the field with a headshot

• Thank you (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

The question still is what proof do you have that he is right?  Ratings and Revenue are up once again.  They are working to open additional revenue streams like Amazon and are being successful.  Same thing with the NBA.  Greg Popovich is right the 3’s are killing the game - except TV and Revenue are up in the NBA also - especially since scoring rose and pace of play has increased.  Maybe the demographics the leagues are chasing is changing and the older coaches and fans are missing the boat.

Maybe the NFL and the NBA have started to adapt - they understand the newer generation of fans - growing up on Madden and other Video Games crave action and scoring.  Maybe they see the diehard fans will stick around, but that as we get older - you need to change and bring in younger fans also.  Boxing never learned this and they were King until the demographics became older and they never brought in the next generation of fans - baseball is struggling with this also.  

Penalties suck and have always sucked - the NFL will continue to have a perceived issue until they can simplify things, but that has not caused a decline in viewers or revenue.  The issue is the speed combined with the physicality of the game.  The human eye catches movement and the refs cover a huge area (even larger now due to speed and QB arm strength) - penalties are based on quick moments that are fleeting, but in reality for all of the complaining- they do a very good job of getting things right.

As for the XFL (or other summer leagues - up to 3 potential leagues now) - you state you want them to have an impact on the NFL, but in the paragraph above you complain about the rules making it easier for the offense to score - these two points are contradictory.  The XFL and the new league being presented by former players are looking at way to increase offense even more - including potentially going 7 on 7.  These changes are only going to reinforce that the NFL was already on the right path.

Finally - I am not sure the league will regret the changes - I think they are necessary if it is going to survive - what may kill the NFL (and I do see it eventually dropping down) is the lack of youth participation.  If parents keep kids from playing and better athletes play different sports - the level of play will drop and that will eventually have an impact, but so far colleges can still recruit enough players that this has not become a critical factor - this is the area to watch.  If several college programs drop football because of lack of players then you will have an issue the NFL can not overcome easily.

Excellent post!  The  OP reminds me of a relative of mine who drives a giant gas-guzzling Buick land yacht, runs around town paying her bills in person, doesn't own a computer, and constantly complains that she can't find business phone numbers in the print phone book.  Get with the program.  The hallmark of the human condition -- indeed, the reason that we aren't still wandering naked on the African plains scrounging for fruits and nuts -- is that those who embrace innovation and adapt to changing conditions flourish and those who cling to "the old ways" get left behind.  I'm sure there were football Luddites back in the day who whined about how allowing the forward pass was going to "ruin" the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, PUNT750 said:

Who are these street thugs who have become football "hero's"? 

• Like (+1) 1