Allen vs. Darnold: Analysts Evaluate the Present and Predict the Future

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

The ST is the reason this game was a loss.

Period, end of discussion.

-6 points on two missed FG, and a TD drive that started in the red zone. Just garbage.

Can’t let the vaunted D off the hook that easily. They had a huge hand in the outcome today. 

Ok, without Allen the Bills lose by a lot and never even have a lead.  Allen did a lot with his feet.  His passing was ok, but the fumble, the INTs are  big negative.  He had a few good throws and a few bad ones. 

Darnold won on the road.  He had two great drives in the 4th quarter for TDs to come from behind.  Sure he had good field position most of the game.  Sure He had time to throw and he took what was there.  He looked poised and made fewer bad plays than Allen.

Buffalo was supposed to have a strong defense and a loud home crowd.  Darnold had no pressure and the crowd was not a factor. 

Round 1 to Darnold. 

Edited by Bob in STL

18 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

So ... if we had a 2018 draft do-over today, I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest the following order of the 2018 QBs:

1. Mayfield

2. Darnold

3. Allen

4. Rosen

5. Jackson

In other words, so far the GMs/scouts appear to have gotten it right.

For the moment, yes. Darnold should be ahead of Allen right now. He played at USC, and has better protection from his OL. I’d guess without watching all Jets games that their WRs drop far fewer passes as well. Darnold didn’t appear light years ahead of Allen overall, so I’d still say that JA could eclipse Darnold as a QB with more development and better protection. We will know in a few years. Until that point, this list is pretty much a power ranking of QBs. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

11 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

For the moment, yes. Darnold should be ahead of Allen right now. He played at USC, and has better protection from his OL. I’d guess without watching all Jets games that their WRs drop far fewer passes as well. Darnold didn’t appear light years ahead of Allen overall, so I’d still say that JA could eclipse Darnold as a QB with more development and better protection. We will know in a few years. Until that point, this list is pretty much a power ranking of QBs. 

I agree. For me, the good news is this: if we had a draft do-over, I'm confident that Mayfield/Darnold/Allen would all have gone in the first 5 (Giants and Broncos in the QB mix) instead of the first 7. They've all shown they belong. Only Mayfield looks like a guy who's comfortable operating an NFL offense in all its complexity. Allen in particular is still making most of his positive contributions on plays that break down rather than on plays that work by design. That's a tribute to his athletic talent and general football sense, but that's not usually a recipe for long term success. But much of that is on this generally talent-less offense, so it's hard to tell how much progress Allen has made.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, PeterDude said:

Allen is trash compared to Darnold, time will prove that out.

Allen is a 50% completion running QB, he will be out of the league in 2-3 years, Darnold will likely play 10+ years for the Jets.

7 hours ago, PearlHowardman said:

You are 100% correct.

I cannot understand what Buffalo Bills fans see in QB Josh Allen.

:mellow:

You guys are nutty, or trolls, or Jets fans.

Actually, based off that last sentence, it's clear PearlHowardMan is NOT a Bills fan.

The simple truth is this: Allen vs Darnold is the new Kelly vs Marino.

Anyone who bothered watching that game today knows the Bills lost because our Special Teams sucks and our WRs/TEs can't catch.

Allen IS our offense. 

I think today made me even more excited about Allen and even more convinced that next year he's going to have a great year and put this team in serious contention.

Regardless, the next 10-15 years of Allen vs Darnold should be fun.

6 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Long way to go before we know anything.

Again, reminding me of the whole Kelly vs Marino thing. These guys are gonna love competing against one another foe years to come.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

You guys are nutty, or trolls, or Jets fans.

Actually, based off that last sentence, it's clear PearlHowardMan is NOT a Bills fan.

The simple truth is this: Allen vs Darnold is the new Kelly vs Marino.

Anyone who bothered watching that game today knows the Bills lost because our Special Teams sucks and our WRs/TEs can't catch.

Allen IS our offense. 

I think today made me even more excited about Allen and even more convinced that next year he's going to have a great year and put this team in serious contention.

Regardless, the next 10-15 years of Allen vs Darnold should be fun.

Again, reminding me of the whole Kelly vs Marino thing. These guys are gonna love competing against one another foe years to come.

Slow down!  Far too early to know whether either will approach the lofty perch of those HoF QBs. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

7 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Slow down!  Far too early to know whether either will approach the lofty perchouof those HoF QBs. 

You are right as far as the "prove it" part but

"reminds me of"

Both in the same division.....both first round picks  drafted in what was supposed to be a QB draft

So....I get the comparison

Just now, John from Riverside said:

You are right as far as the "prove it" part but

"reminds me of"

Both in the same division.....both first round picks  drafted in what was supposed to be a QB draft

So....I get the comparison

I don't.  Mark Sanchez and EJ Manuel say "Hello". :unsure:  Class of '83 has no equal. 

7 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

Ok, without Allen the Bills lose by a lot and never even have a lead.  Allen did a lot with his feet.  His passing was ok, but the fumble, the INTs are  big negative.  He had a few good throws and a few bad ones. 

Darnold won on the road.  He had two great drives in the 4th quarter for TDs to come from behind.  Sure he had good field position most of the game.  Sure He had time to throw and he took what was there.  He looked poised and made fewer bad plays than Allen.

Buffalo was supposed to have a strong defense and a loud home crowd.  Darnold had no pressure and the crowd was not a factor. 

Round 1 to Darnold. 

"looked poised and made fewer bad plays" and "Darnold had no pressure, good field position all game."

You dont think maybe one of these above led to the other? From pretty much first snap Allen got his ass kicked by the Jets D due to our complete lack of a line. Then factor in about 6 terrible drops right in the hands... meanwhile darnold's WR are making high extended contested grabs on our DB's. If Allen gets ANY help from this team, its a blow out.

I still dont get all these people ranking Darnold ahead of Allen after one game, where the rest of the Bills decided to not show up. The same people gripe about Allen's accuracy, meanwhile Darnold LEADS THE LEAGUE IN INTERCEPTIONS - and he has missed 4 games lol

1 minute ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I said it in the GDT and I’ll say it again here:

Rosen would literally be dead at this point behind this OL ? 

Or we would be hating on him something fierce because of his pedestrian numbers despite supposidly being more pro ready

and wishing we would have drafted Josh Allen because of his physical talents and running ability.....and commenting about his upside....and his cannon arm lol

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Slow down!  Far too early to know whether either will approach the lofty perch of those HoF QBs. 

Nah... I think the whole idea that even making a statement like this vodoos the whole idea is pretty ridiculous.

I'm saying exactly what I think is going to happen. 

Allen will be our Franchise QB.

Darnold will be the Jets' Franchise QB.

Same division and same draft class ala Kelly and Marino.

The comparison is a pretty obvious one, I think.