Allen vs. Darnold: Analysts Evaluate the Present and Predict the Future

29 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Enjoy the loss

A loss isn’t something I’m worried about in an already lost season sitting at 4-9. The season is about the rookie QB’s progression and he played fantastic.

your team’s season is suppose to be about the same at this point. I guess you didn’t get the memo. 

Again, I’m not pressed, Sam balled.

On 12/10/2018 at 5:39 AM, Patriot Killa said:

I feel like when I look at a QB with success with such a strong arm, who’s mobile, who doesn’t have the best accuracy..I think of Cam Newton. 

Cam Newton has been to a super bowl before. Cam has had success. I think Allen has a very similar playing style/traits and that’s how it could work out for him. 58-59% would be bar minimum. 

But there's so much beyond looks & below 60% accuracy to compare them on that shows the worlds of difference between the two.

Cam in College - Played in the SEC at Auburn, won a national championship, won the Heisman Trophy, was AP college football player of the year, first team All-American, and averaged a 62.9% completion rating through his 4 years. 

Allen in College - Played in the Mountain West, was 2nd team all-Mountain West, never dominated anyone on the field, had no signature wins, played miserably as an individual against any power 5 school, averaged 56.2% completion rating through 3 seasons, regressed his final year at Wyoming, and had a mediocre year overall.

Cam in the NFL as a rookie - Won Offensive Rookie of the Year, had a 60% completion rating, threw for over 4,000 yards, and had a positive TD/INT ratio, had an 84.5% Passer Rating and finished 40th on NFL's top 100 list (voted by players). 

Allen in the NFL as a rookie - Even more inaccurate, completing just 52.4% of his passes, has the lowest passer rating of all qualifying QB's/lowest QBR on pass attempts, and is the dead-last, worst down field passer in the league by a wide margin (according to ESPN, on passes 16 yards or deeper his passer rating is 36.2 - almost 20 points lower than the next lowest QB). He has more INT's than passing TD's, has as many games with 0 TD passes as he does total TD passes, and is #1 of all QB's this year for Time-to-Throw in the league (average time holding onto the ball before throwing) at 3.28 seconds. Only 2 other Qb's average 3 seconds or more - DeShaun Watson at 3.03 & Russell Wilson at 3.00.

Then you simply just watch with your own eyes, both in college or in the pros, and see worlds of differences between the two. Outside of size & athleticism, there's a huge understanding & skill gap that is difficult to just brush aside.

One had all the makings of a great QB in college & the NFL, and played at a high level at both (College - Won Heisman & National Championship; NFL - Offensive Rookie of the Year)

The other looks the part & has the physical tools, but has been getting by on "potential," and what he "could" be if only the right coaches could develop him right. So far though, there's no on-field play to suggest he's ever going to meet that potential, only glimpses of what he could do if he had a grasp of the game that equaled his passion for it.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

But there's so much beyond looks & below 60% accuracy to compare them on that shows the worlds of difference between the two.

Cam in College - Played in the SEC at Auburn, won a national championship, won the Heisman Trophy, was AP college football player of the year, first team All-American, and averaged a 62.9% completion rating through his 4 years. 

Allen in College - Played in the Mountain West, was 2nd team all-Mountain West, never dominated anyone on the field, had no signature wins, played miserably as an individual against any power 5 school, averaged 56.2% completion rating through 3 seasons, regressed his final year at Wyoming, and had a mediocre year overall.

Cam in the NFL as a rookie - Won Offensive Rookie of the Year, had a 60% completion rating, threw for over 4,000 yards, and had a positive TD/INT ratio, had an 84.5% Passer Rating and finished 40th on NFL's top 100 list (voted by players). 

Allen in the NFL as a rookie - Even more inaccurate, completing just 52.4% of his passes, has the lowest passer rating of all qualifying QB's/lowest QBR on pass attempts, and is the dead-last, worst down field passer in the league by a wide margin (according to ESPN, on passes 16 yards or deeper his passer rating is 36.2 - almost 20 points lower than the next lowest QB). He has more INT's than passing TD's, has as many games with 0 TD passes as he does total TD passes, and is #1 of all QB's this year for Time-to-Throw in the league (average time holding onto the ball before throwing) at 3.28 seconds. Only 2 other Qb's average 3 seconds or more - DeShaun Watson at 3.03 & Russell Wilson at 3.00.

Then you simply just watch with your own eyes, both in college or in the pros, and see worlds of differences between the two. Outside of size & athleticism, there's a huge understanding & skill gap that is difficult to just brush aside.

One had all the makings of a great QB in college & the NFL, and played at a high level at both (College - Won Heisman & National Championship; NFL - Offensive Rookie of the Year)

The other looks the part & has the physical tools, but has been getting by on "potential," and what he "could" be if only the right coaches could develop him right. So far though, there's no on-field play to suggest he's ever going to meet that potential, only glimpses of what he could do if he had a grasp of the game that equaled his passion for it.

Are you saying you don’t really fancy the Allen pick and/or don’t really believe he can reach a Cam Newton level?

14 hours ago, Bleedingreennc said:

Blockhead? Very intelligent comment. He did what he had to do to win the game. Field position didn’t matter, he took what was given to him.

True, but he showed much poise. Let’s see Allen’s stats tomorrow.

All I want is for both of our teams to have a damn quarterback. I'm sick of the Pats and ***** the dolphins and Tannehill. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

All I want is for both of our teams to have a damn quarterback. I'm sick of the Pats and ***** the dolphins and Tannehill. 

I agree, it’s time to knock them off their throne. Their fan base is filled with smug losers and they deserve a few losing seasons to humble them.

Edited by Patriot Killa

I could be in the minority here, but I love the moxie our QB shows compared to Sam Darneld. Darnold seems like a bright guy and all but he doesn't have the outstanding physical traits that Josh Allen demonstrates on a weekly basis. Darnold is a heady ballplayer with a lower floor, but the sky is the limit with Josh the rocket Allen.

Right now Darnold has a better o line and a better receiver core. I'm more worried about them getting talent around Allen. Bills have allot of holes to fill, especially on the o line. You rarely can fill holes on the o line and get a whole new receiving core in one season. I think it's going to take alot longer to build around Allen than darnold.

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Good game for Darnold today against the Pack.  Let's see how he does in Foxboro next week with the Patriots needing a win for the 2nd seed and a bye. 

Why do you keep posting things that make sense?

staaaaahp :lol:

seriously, I’d also kill for a Robby Anderson right about now 

Look other then the fact that Darnold is going to be a thorn in the sides of the Bills for years to come I don't give a damn about him.  I'm glad we have Allen and it's Allen who we need to surround with talent.  Darnold is going to be a very good NFL QB because in addition to his natural talent he will be given the tools to succeed.  I also think Allen will be every bit his equal but I don't have the confidence that this organization will surround him with the necessary talent. 

I hope I'm wrong here but this is a staff that thought KB still had gas in the tank.  I really worry that we'll spend a boat load of money on players who are not up to the task.  For sure this current organization has not shown they are a good judge of free agent offensive talent.  Again I hope with a big budget and clear needs they can step up and do the right thing in the draft & free agency.  But I've got a sinking suspicion that they'll sign an over rated WR (don't you dare take Carolina's David Funchess who is one buffet line from being KB) and then draft that LSU corner back with a top 10 pick. 

Like I no longer compare our Josh to the other Josh I no longer compare Allen to Darnold.  I've seen enough of Allen to believe he is our guy at QB so all that matters now is that the Bills get him the offensive help he needs.  As for Darnold, I hope he goes into Gillette stadium and throws 4 TD's and 400 yards and beats the Pats.