Allen vs. Darnold: Analysts Evaluate the Present and Predict the Future

28 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I don't agree because I believe Darnold sucks.

There's no room in the NFL for a QB with that mug. They've already allowed Andrew Luck to do his thing. One is enough!

Always felt that way, looks like his head was put in a vice as a kid, most great QBs are good looking,  Steve Young, Kelly, Marino, Unitas, Starr, Brady, Elway, Staubach, ....think about it.  Bradshaw & Luck  some of the few exception and not even sure Luck is "great" QB.  Allen is a good looking man, although sometimes he looks like he is 12 yrs old.

Good looking guys have a lot of self confidence if not downright arrogance (Kelly, Brady) , something you desperately need to be a great QB.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Haha (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, billspro said:

One of these teams will be the future of the AFCE. I think it will be the Bills.

I threw up a bit in my mouth thinking the Jets could be the future of the division... yuck!! 

IMO:

Allen — has a spark about him, it feels like he gets his teammates play a little bit harder and better.. still young and will take a couple years to iron out all the kinks but should be good as it APPEARS the Bulls have stopped the coaching carousel which is a killer for young QBs.

Darnold — has the tools and he could be good to very good, maybe this is my jet hating side talking, but I just see the Jets messing it up and ruining the kid.

Mayfield — he seems be the best of the rookie QBs this year IMO.  Has a talented RB and team around him, he will be made or broken depending on who the new HC is next year for the Browns.

i see this:

Bills - playoff team starting next year led by a stingy D and a young QB who learned to trust his D and not try do to much.. (I say Wildcard unless BB sand Brady both fall off a cliff next year)

jets — Darnold struggles next year learning a new system and is benched week 10 for some vet they signed in the off season.. NY fans start calling him a bust.

Cleveland — hires McDaniels and they win the AFC North and Cleveland celebrates its first playoff birth in years.

47 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Always felt that way, looks like his head was put in a vice as a kid, most great QBs are good looking,  Steve Young, Kelly, Marino, Unitas, Starr, Brady, Elway, Staubach, ....think about it.  Bradshaw & Luck  some of the few exception and not even sure Luck is "great" QB.  Allen is a good looking man, although sometimes he looks like he is 12 yrs old.

Good looking guys have a lot of self confidence if not downright arrogance (Kelly, Brady) , something you desperately need to be a great QB.

This place...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

I put Darnold in here because I am orettt much convinced all these guys have the right stuff.

its just who is going to get the right coaching staff to unlock it.  Like McVay unlocked in Goff or Nagy is unlocking in Trubisky or Reid with Mahomes.

Darnold, right now is stuck on a team with a first time/some say in over his head Offensive Coordinator, No Talent Around him and a Defensive Minded Head Coach.

Now how much can change in one offseason?

The Jets could find a Offensive Minded Head Coach who is and/or hires a innovated offensive coordinator.  The jets do have similar spending money to Buffalo and they could also score offensive talent in Free Agency.  Then there is the draft.

im not guaranteeing it.  But if the Jets try to work the Rams/Bears model their entire offense could look radically different by next year.

And as wobbly as you say Darnold has looked to...don’t you think there were Seahawk, Cardinal, Eagle fans all snickering about chow bad Goff looked under Fisher?

I watched Darnold alot in college and his propensity for turning the ball over (INTs, fumbles due in part to less than ideal hand size) was noteworthy. Does a quality OC and/or offensive-minded HC fix those issues? I guess it's a chicken or egg argument to be had.

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Not sure if I agree with how you vetted your list of "good looking" QBs .... just saying - questionable at best. Young, Marino, Elway - yes.....the others, ummmm - not so much

3 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

People will think this post is asinine, but it's dead on!

I don't want any ugly kickers either. Rian Lindell's mug probably lead to his lack of confidence on important kicks.

This is somewhat tongue in cheek, but it's a real thing if you pay attention.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Going to toss Baker into this too.

I think it’s pretty simple.

Mayfield/Darnold teams are going to remove their Defensive Minded Head Coach and go on the hunt for the next Sean McVay/Matt Nagy.

if either, both hit on their coaching search, those 2 Quarterbacks futures would seem to me to be the brightest.

I think Allen will definitely hit his potential which will put him ahead of Baker, and Darnold will still bust.

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

This offseason will go a long way in determining which team it will be.  The Jets will have a new HC and loads of cap space.

I say that mostly because I think Allen will be better than Darnold. Not how I ranked them in the draft process but Allen really impressed me the last two games.

NFL Analyst Mayock Examines Josh Allen, Sam Darnold

DlPBUN8o?format=jpg&name=600x314

With the matchup between two top-10 draft picks on tap for this Sunday, several analysts are exploring how the rookies have progressed this year. The matchup between Buffalo’s Josh Allen and New York’s Sam Darnold is a storyline that will garner some national attention, even though the Bills and Jets are each rounding out their respective 2018 campaigns without postseason participation in sight.

NFL Network’s Mike Mayock shared some of his thoughts on Allen in particular with the team’s website. For the national analyst, Allen’s progress has been on par with what he expected.

“For me, it’s as advertised. I think the thing we’ve seen recently with him, that’s helped the team out and given the kid a little bit of a platform is he’s kind of taken charge with his run game. Obviously, you always want the ability to extend plays and to make plays with your legs.” Mayock said.

He also added how Allen’s progress on the ground has been one for the record books, something that maybe wasn’t predicted back in April.

“The last couple of weeks what he has done running the football has been historic. He’s got to learn to win inside the pocket. That’s his biggest challenge. Then he can take advantage of his athletic ability outside the pocket when warranted,” Mayock said.

14 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

People will think this post is asinine, but it's dead on!

I don't want any ugly kickers either. Rian Lindell's mug probably lead to his lack of confidence on important kicks.

This is somewhat tongue in cheek, but it's a real thing if you pay attention.

Leaders on defense are the opposite, you cant have a pretty boy be a leader on defense.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 12/6/2018 at 11:15 AM, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Going to toss Baker into this too.

I think it’s pretty simple.

Mayfield/Darnold teams are going to remove their Defensive Minded Head Coach and go on the hunt for the next Sean McVay/Matt Nagy.

if either, both hit on their coaching search, those 2 Quarterbacks futures would seem to me to be the brightest.

I don’t think there’s any question those other guys are ahead right now, but it’s really early for all three. Baker looks like the surest thing to me. Allen still has the biggest risk (accuracy and football IQ) but if he ever gets those parts figured out he maybe has the highest upside too. We’re getting way ahead of ourselves though. Step one is to make sure they’re long-term NFL QBs. No one knows that for sure about any of them right now, including the teams they play for, and even themselves (but least of all us).

Edited by VW82
  • Like (+1) 1

Roller-Coaster Seasons of Sam Darnold and Josh Allen Collide

r473376_1296x729_16-9.jpg&w=920&h=518&sc

Rich Cimini and Mike Rodak -  ESPN

When the New York Jets and Buffalo Bills meet on Sunday at New Era Field, it will be the first meeting of starting quarterbacks drafted in the 2018 class: the Jets' Sam Darnold and the Bills' Josh Allen. (When the Jets and Browns met in Week 3, No. 1 pick Baker Mayfield replaced an injured Tyrod Taylor and finished the game, beating Darnold and the Jets.) Three weeks ago, when the Bills beat the Jets 41-10, Matt Barkley started for the Bills and Josh McCown for the Jets.

Darnold, the No. 3 pick, had a strong start to the season but hit a midseason rough patch and has been out for the past month with a foot injury. He's expected to return Sunday. Allen, the No. 7 pick, also missed time -- four weeks -- with an elbow injury, but since coming back he's led the Bills to a home win over the Jaguars and was one pass away from upsetting the Dolphins last Sunday in Miami.

NFL Nation writers Rich Cimini and Mike Rodak analyze the matchup and examine the roller-coaster seasons for both rookie quarterbacks: