Allen vs. Darnold: Analysts Evaluate the Present and Predict the Future

Josh Allen and Sam Darnold: Evaluating the Present and Predicting the Future

ddrmgv2dctiimoritzjg.jpg

There was a lot of anticipation this offseason for the two matchups that were to take place this fall between the Bills and Jets and their top draft choices Sam Darnold and Josh Allen, after both came off the board in the first seven picks of the 2018 draft.

Injuries to both Allen and Darnold wiped out the chance for them to square off in Week 10 at MetLife Stadium, but now in Week 15, the two rookies, and good friends, will meet up.

So what can be said about their seasons thus far?

Buffalobills.com sought out the observations of NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock, as well as those of AFC East beat reporters, Eric Allen (NYJets.com), Alain Poupart (MiamiDolphins.com) and Mike Reiss (ESPN.com - New England) on the two young signal callers and how much progress they’ve demonstrated in 2018.

We also asked them to peer into the future as best they could, to see where this pair of AFC East quarterbacks might be in a couple of years.

Josh Allen’s rookie season so far

Sam Darnold’s rookie season thus far

Where do you see their careers in two to three years time?

• Thank you (+1) 2

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Allen vs. Darnold: Analysts Evaluate the Present and Predict the Future

Probably the most honest view of these two I’ve see. Usually Darnold gets the NY princess treatment, and Allen gets the “hah, the bills suck” treatment. 

I hope darnold has a long and successful career of losing to Allen and living in his shadow (literally and figuratively)

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Going to toss Baker into this too.

I think it’s pretty simple.

Mayfield/Darnold teams are going to remove their Defensive Minded Head Coach and go on the hunt for the next Sean McVay/Matt Nagy.

if either, both hit on their coaching search, those 2 Quarterbacks futures would seem to me to be the brightest.

LOL

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Mayfield/Darnold teams are going to remove their Defensive Minded Head Coach and go on the hunt for the next Sean McVay/Matt Nagy.

if either, both hit on their coaching search, those 2 Quarterbacks futures would seem to me to be the brightest.

I can understand this thought for Mayfield... but why Darnold? Man for all the flack Allen gets for some of his INT's and not having perfect accuracy... Darnold seems to throw at least one very ugly pick a game. I wanted Darnold over Allen in the draft.... but after watching this year outside of his first game... I honestly think he looks bad and the worst of the top 4 drafted QB's. I mean people bring up "Allen's accuracy issues go all the way back to start of college!" Well Darnold's knock was his love for ***** turnovers all through college - and that has continued so far

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, PolishPrince said:

I can understand this thought for Mayfield... but why Darnold? Man for all the flack Allen gets for some of his INT's and not having perfect accuracy... Darnold seems to throw at least one very ugly pick a game. I wanted Darnold over Allen in the draft.... but after watching this year outside of his first game... I honestly think he looks bad and the worst of the top 4 drafted QB's. I mean people bring up "Allen's accuracy issues go all the way back to start of college!" Well Darnold's knock was his love for ***** turnovers all through college - and that has continued so far

I put Darnold in here because I am orettt much convinced all these guys have the right stuff.

its just who is going to get the right coaching staff to unlock it.  Like McVay unlocked in Goff or Nagy is unlocking in Trubisky or Reid with Mahomes.

Darnold, right now is stuck on a team with a first time/some say in over his head Offensive Coordinator, No Talent Around him and a Defensive Minded Head Coach.

Now how much can change in one offseason?

The Jets could find a Offensive Minded Head Coach who is and/or hires a innovated offensive coordinator.  The jets do have similar spending money to Buffalo and they could also score offensive talent in Free Agency.  Then there is the draft.

im not guaranteeing it.  But if the Jets try to work the Rams/Bears model their entire offense could look radically different by next year.

And as wobbly as you say Darnold has looked to...don’t you think there were Seahawk, Cardinal, Eagle fans all snickering about chow bad Goff looked under Fisher?

33 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

broken record...broken record...broken record....broken record

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

You don’t agree?  Why so?

Josh Allen easily has the most upside of these QBs.......he is the most raw right now and is the 2nd best QB of this class.

He also plays with trash all around him and hardly any protection

He is easily the most likely to improve because of these things....he has Brian Deboll who brought his fresh college concepts with him but doesnt have the horses to run them this year......and Josh STILL looks like the 2nd best rookie QB this year.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Josh Allen easily has the most upside of these QBs.......he is the most raw right now and is the 2nd best QB of this class.

He is easily the most likely to improve because of these things....he has Brian Deboll who brought his fresh college concepts with him but doesnt have the horses to run them this year......and Josh STILL looks like the 2nd best rookie QB this year.

? advocate: Allen’s passing numbers are on par with Lamar Jackson. 

9 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Agreed.  The part i'm happiest with is that Allen is already making big time plays, and while he's still making mistakes, for the most part they havent been terminal, and like you say he absolutely has the highest upside of any of them.  I think Mayfield is probably the best now, but these two are going to be fighting it out for years, hopefully

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

? advocate: Allen’s passing numbers are on par with Lamar Jackson. 

Well......before the draft I actually liked Lamar Jackson as well...and he goes to a better team with better protection and targets then we have.

ppl seem to keep forgetting this.....the bills are not a good offensive team this year...we cannot run the ball to save our lives....our idea of a passing pocket is Josh gets it off before he gets hit.....and he throws it to receivers that look suprised when they catch it

We just had to release our number one wide out because he has been so horrible

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

I put Darnold in here because I am orettt much convinced all these guys have the right stuff.

its just who is going to get the right coaching staff to unlock it.  Like McVay unlocked in Goff or Nagy is unlocking in Trubisky or Reid with Mahomes.

Darnold, right now is stuck on a team with a first time/some say in over his head Offensive Coordinator, No Talent Around him and a Defensive Minded Head Coach.

Now how much can change in one offseason?

The Jets could find a Offensive Minded Head Coach who is and/or hires a innovated offensive coordinator.  The jets do have similar spending money to Buffalo and they could also score offensive talent in Free Agency.  Then there is the draft.

im not guaranteeing it.  But if the Jets try to work the Rams/Bears model their entire offense could look radically different by next year.

And as wobbly as you say Darnold has looked to...don’t you think there were Seahawk, Cardinal, Eagle fans all snickering about chow bad Goff looked under Fisher?

Darnold and Goff are different IMO. Mainly because I dont think Goff was known as a turnover machine in college, Darnold was and has continued that. Several of his interception he just throws it right to linebackers like he just doesnt see them somehow

56 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

You don’t agree?  Why so?

I don't agree because I believe Darnold sucks.

There's no room in the NFL for a QB with that mug. They've already allowed Andrew Luck to do his thing. One is enough!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1