Kelvin Benjamin Signs a 1-Year Deal with Kansas City; Has a Chance to Impress with Watkins Likely Out Until the Playoffs

Just now, Zerovotlz said:

I said it already..but yeah....I don't have high hopes about this....the Chiefs made a low risk, low money investment in a guy who at one time, a long time ago, showed a little....fine...we paid out some pennies to kick the tires...I read this board all the time and have read ALL the stuff you find folks have posted about Benjamin..and I have watch a few of the games....(ever since the Trade and the drafting of Allen, I can't get enough of watching the Bills....love the passion of the fan base here...and am glad to be on this board..great place to talk football)  ......I think KC sees this as SUPER cheap depth....and anything else would be gravy....contract just for the rest of this year....I'm not hoping for or expecting much.

Respect. i didnt  see that post , just reacted to the one and took it out if context. 

Whats your thoughts on Watkins? 

And what is wrong with your defense!? I'd actually  enjoy seeing  KC represent the AFC in the SB but that D has to step up. Interested in your take on the problem and potential solution, cause i don't see them getting there unless the D steps up. 

Man your offense is spectacular though 

Just now, JerseyBills said:

Respect. i didnt  see that post , just reacted to the one and took it out if context. 

Whats your thoughts on Watkins? 

And what is wrong with your defense!? I'd actually  enjoy seeing  KC represent the AFC in the SB but that D has to step up. Interested in your take on the problem and potential solution, cause i don't see them getting there unless the D steps up. 

Man your offense is spectacular though 

Let me try and seaparte Watkins from his contract and talk about the two separately.

The contract is HORRIBLE.  KC paid out WR 1 money for the guy KNOWING he would be the 4th option, 3rd option at best on this team.  That's just not smart use of resources.  

The player has been...OK.  He's hurt too much for the money...but when he's played he's been allright...had a few big games.  IF ....IF he were the no.1 option he'd put up some strong numbers...probably not worth the contract even in that scenario...but he's been ok.  If Hill were to miss time Watkins would probably look more valuable to us than he has thus far.  

I haven't seen enough to justify the contract..and frankly, we could have saved that money and spent it elsewhere and signed someone else much cheaper this past off season...in hindsight...I would have liked for us to have kept Albert Wilson (he blew out his ACL so maybe it's better we didn't) ....Anyhow...not worth the money on Watkins....he has been, more or less what people said he is....an intriquing prospect that is hurt often and needs volume to have maximum impact.  He hasn't broken any big plays.

Our Defense .....is interesting in that we are at or very near the top of the NFL in sacks.  Two very good edge rushers in Ford and Houston and a very good D Tackle in Chris Jones.  You'd think that having this kind of talent up front would mask some problems elsewhere..but it hasn't.

Having watched every KC game...we may well have the worst ILB pairing in the NFL.  Reggie Ragland looked decent his first year here..he SUCKS.  ....and maybe he needs to be in a different scheme where he just goes downhill all the time, but in our scheme the ILB are asked to read and react.  Ragland needs to have no responsibilities in coverage at all and just go....even when he gets moving off the snap...he is easily blocked and can't shed.  A bust.  We signed Anthony Hitchens from the Cowboys for big Money in the offseason....unlike Ragland..Hitchens looked pretty good in Dallas last year....but playing in this read and react system...he also SUCKS.  He is asked to read and then cover RB and TE...and he isn't good at it...he was a good sideline to sideline defender in Dallas and the reports were he wasn't good at coverage there either....just a really good pursuit player.  .....because he has to read the play and often cover someone, on run plays..he is slow to identify and thus slow to move...and gets swallowed up by O lineman.  His Contract is AWFUL and the way it's structured, we are stuck with him for 2 more seasons.  They did draft Dorian O'Daniel from Clemson, and when he has played ILB..he HAS looked pretty good...good in coverage...quicker to react and has shown some ability to shed blockers...but they are reluctant to play him...he should be starting.  Ragland should be benched.

The secondary ins't very good.  Orlando Scandrick is old, but has been ok....dropped what would have been the game clinching INT vs the Rams...just flat out dropped it...right in his hands.  Steven Nelson is ok.  Our safties are OLD and SLOW.  Been waiting on Eric Berry to come back all year...he MIGHT finaly play this week...they need him.

Because of the sacks and turnovers...and the D is OK to live with even if the numbers in yards and points don't always look good..they do produce big plays.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Zerovotlz said:

A simple glance at Case Keenums numbers this year tell enough of the story....or go watch some of their games...Minnesota was right to let him walk.  He's not been good at all this year. .....He has targets and a good run game....Emmanual Sanders is pro bowl caliber WR...The traded Demarryous Thomas, but the Rookie Sutton has impressed...and they have a very strong running game....that offense isn't void of talent.  Sanders just tore his ACL in practice yestarday, so he's done....and they did claim Holmes, the other WR you released.

Again..as far as Benjamin playing TE....and you telling me he can't (and I believe you)  ....well, again, great...our second string TE also can't play TE...so if Benjamin has step into that role, he'll fit right in.

Um no, a simple glance at any statistics don't tell the story.  Sutton has a catch percentage under 50%...47.5%.  Thomas is a good WR, but as you note, they traded him away.  Sanders is also good, but when a team has 1 good WR the best corner is usually assigned to cover him like a blanket.  Sanders and Thomas are also both 31, an age at which most WR sometimes fade.  And now Sanders tore his ACL.  Keenum can't throw to himself.

I'm not saying Minn. wasn't right to move on, but when you have a QB who has proven he can play capably to well given the right conditions and he moves to a new home and struggles, it's absolutely fair to ask whether some of the conditions he previously had are missing. 

I repeat though: why on earth would you hypothesize KC would factor in "keeping him from Denver" in a player personnel move?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Um no, a simple glance at any statistics don't tell the story.  Sutton has a catch percentage under 50%...47.5%.  Thomas is a good WR, but as you note, they traded him away.  Sanders is also good, but when a team has 1 good WR the best corner is usually assigned to cover him like a blanket.  Sanders and Thomas are also both 31, an age at which most WR sometimes fade.  And now Sanders tore his ACL.  Keenum can't throw to himself.

I'm not saying Minn. wasn't right to move on, but when you have a QB who has proven he can play capably to well given the right conditions and he moves to a new home and struggles, it's absolutely fair to ask whether some of the conditions he previously had are missing. 

I repeat though: why on earth would you hypothesize KC would factor in "keeping him from Denver" in a player personnel move?

Denver is to KC what New England is to Buffalo.  Believe me...the ONLY team in the AFC that the Chiefs don't want to see again this year is the Broncos.  

1 hour ago, Zerovotlz said:

i agree with you....this isn't exciting news to me....due in large part to me following this board...I might be the best informed KC fan about this guy.  SO MANY KC fans see a name they know and instantly "LETS SIGN HIM, HES A BEAST!  (on a side note, the tendancy of the lower IQ among my Chiefs fan base, LOVE the term Beast.  ugh.)  ....KC fan base has a hard time separating Madden from real life (this goes for salary cap issues as well...SIGN EVERYONE!  TRADE FOR EVERYONE!)  

Yav....not sure you have any sort of credibility with your incredibly horrible Pat Mahomes predictions and takes.

Lol half this board pretends that passing up on Mahomes was a good idea, so don't judge everyone off that alone. Delusional & stubborn are many a Bills fan.

But as much as KB didn't do squat for us, it's very likely he will do great for the Chiefs. WR's that played in Buffalo have their best years before & after leaving here. We are always stuck with awful offenses, coaches that think their only options to build a team are run-first, strong defensive units, combined with horrible QB play & even worse ideas on how to develop them.

It's quite likely KB will thrive under Andy Reid & playing with Mahomes. There's no doubt Reid is a much better offensive minded coach, and without question, Mahomes blows anyone we have out of the water. Combined with Kelce & Hill (and eventually Watkins), that's a unit LOADED with potential. Worst case scenario, you have the most dangerous redzone threat combo of players in the league (and it's not even close).

Just now, Zerovotlz said:

Denver is to KC what New England is to Buffalo.  Believe me...the ONLY team in the AFC that the Chiefs don't want to see again this year is the Broncos.  

Well, yeah, but even Buffalo doesn't manage personnel decisions with a motivation "keep NE from getting him" for a low risk, low money investment guy.

That's crazy talk!  Especially when Denver is 6-6 this year and you think their QB is not good (I think it's more than the QB, but that's me).

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, yeah, but even Buffalo doesn't manage personnel decisions with a motivation "keep NE from getting him" for a low risk, low money investment guy.

That's crazy talk!  Especially when Denver is 6-6 this year and you think their QB is not good (I think it's more than the QB, but that's me).

Denver has lost a few games they should have won....lost at home to Houston 19-17  HORRIBLE clock managment and play calling in the two minute drill meant they had to try a 63 yard field goal to win....and they had already missed one earlier in that game.....they lost to the Rams by 3.  23-20.  They beat the Chargers.  They beat the Steelers  They run very well, and their defense is fast and physical.  They present matchup problems for teams like the Rams and Chiefs....and Chargers and Steelers...holding all of them to under their scoring averages...you catch them on a day when Keenum actually has a good game and you are done.  Now...having lost Sanders, that may be more than they can overcome...they need everyone healthy and playing at a high level...but when they do...they are a tough out.  The 6-6 is a bit of a mirage.....and also...somehow, the Broncos are one of those odd teams that plays to the competition...the Jets blew them out somehow earlier this year in New York.  ....regardless... If signing KB for chump change, and plopping his fat ass on our bench means he isn't in Denver possibly playing hard and helping them in a time where they need a WR...then GOOD. worth the pocket change it cost.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Moulds_80 said:

my all time number 1 guy,   imagine if we had the moulds-peerless combo with allen throwing to them!!   i miss the years where it was that combo and the wayne-harrison combo in indy were the best tandems

If  Eric Moulds is truly your number on all time guy.... You certainly must have missed what Andre Reed accomplished.

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Benjamin’s salary with the Bills was guaranteed.  It is possible he has offset language, which would mean he won’t collect 2 paychecks and the Bills obligation would be reduced by whatever KC is paying him.  But chances are Bills will still have to pay something.

Hopefully they are paying him to drop passes in KC, but not too many or NE could get the #1 seed. Any chance this loser drops more passes in KC, gets cut and picked up again by an NFC contender and triple dips for being one of the suckiest WR's in football.

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Why would a team leading the division at 10-2 burn a roster spot on signing a guy to “keep him from” the divisions 3rd place team, currently 6-6?

What is up with this Denver fixation?

IF KC thinks they signed a TE, Good Luck Mates!  KB can’t really block and he’s been playing very small for his size.  You’ll see.

Hah. Too funny Hapless. Denver? Watson?  What a bizarre post from Jeffismagic 

6 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

Even though we have beaten Denver twice this year already...they have really played us tight...they are a touch matchup for us...they also did have held the Rams to low totals on offense and nearly beat them...they beat the Chargers....Denver has a below average QB holding back the rest of that team.  

As far as Benjamin being a TE, our current back up TE, Demetrious Harris...already can't block and never plays as big has his size either...he's been here 4 years already and hasn't progressed....If Benjamin sucks...that's fine..he sucks and will have cost us next to nothing....if Harris were to get hurt...well...we appear to have his crappy identical twin on the roster now.

We, Our?  Huh?? Who are you and what are you doing here?

16 hours ago, Magox said:

He should exceed there, Sammy Watkins is the best WR in the league at decoying, should open KB up for more passes.

When he doesn't have boo boo foot, you mean

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Since Andy Reid is an offensive genius, that automatically makes it a good signing.

According to some of the numbskulls here, yes.

5 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

If  Eric Moulds is truly your number on all time guy.... You certainly must have missed what Andre Reed accomplished.

indeed i did, im 30 so i missed the glory days, i cant argue that reed was better, just didnt get to watch him

1 hour ago, Roch-A-Bill said:

I don’t even care enough to click on this, mainly because I never even felt like KB was a real member of the Bills. It always felt like he was just “there” temporarily. 

Anyway the jokes are funny and easy to make (that’s why i cant stop, so many options) but seriously I hope he does well going forward and he’s ok mentally. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

Their other former Bills WR signing is really kicking (#*%(*@  with the best QB (Statistically) in the league ... so why not bring on another.

Combining their stats (KB and SW) .. you almost get 900 yards receiving and 4 TDs for the season .. that's almost good.