Kelvin Benjamin Signs a 1-Year Deal with Kansas City; Has a Chance to Impress with Watkins Likely Out Until the Playoffs

6 hours ago, H2o said:

Maybe they're looking at him as a backup TE for Kelce?

This is the only reason for KC to sign him if we did it to "help" our own team.  KC is thin at TE after Kelce.  

They may well have done this to keep him from Denver as well.

Watkins is apparently currently healthy so this signing, if it's about Watson at all, wasn't about Watson this week.

Frankly, a good many KC fans are overly happy about this signing and think we are getting the guy who excelled in Carolina, and not the hot mess he's been in Buffalo this year.  

If he works hard here and makes a contribution here and NOT in Denver, then I'm good with it....but really not a big deal in my opinion. 

Best Case is that he moves to TE and does well, makes himself into a nice thick tall red zone target....worst case...he sits on the bench and does nothing....not costing us much...and he isn't in Denver.

14 minutes ago, dubs said:

Eric Moulds is a top 5 favorite Bill of all time. He was incredible. 

my all time number 1 guy,   imagine if we had the moulds-peerless combo with allen throwing to them!!   i miss the years where it was that combo and the wayne-harrison combo in indy were the best tandems

10 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

God I miss having a receiver of Moulds' caliber. That's a weapon we haven't sniffed in 15 years.

Steve Johnson in 2010 was so good and so exciting. He was a blip on the radar of Bills history but was so good for a short period in time. It’s a shame that team sucked so bad on defense. We also had Robert Woods, Sammy Watkins, Marquese Goodwin and Chris Hogan all on the same team and didn’t take advantage. The only time we saw that matter was when Orton came in and played at an acceptable nfl level. Orton not coming back and then Marone leaving derailed something that could have been real cool. I think Zay is going to be pretty solid but the QB needs to get the ball to him when he’s open. We need at least 1 more guy.

6 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

since he was signed, are the Bills responsible for paying this lard of sh^t any money. If he ends up playing well in KC, I will really hate him. He gave no effort at all and was a locker room loser to boot.

Signed for a year my guess is the pre-exisisting contract.  We save that contract and can add to the cap next season.   

Edited by Joeziehmer

6 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

since he was signed, are the Bills responsible for paying this lard of sh^t any money. If he ends up playing well in KC, I will really hate him. He gave no effort at all and was a locker room loser to boot.

i think salaries are guaranteed if you are on the 53 man roster after week one. His contract wasn’t claimed on waivers, so I believe the Bills are on the hook for the last 4 games. I could be wrong. 

1 minute ago, Joeziehmer said:

Signed for a year my guess is the pre-exisisting contract.  We save that contract and can add to the cap next season.  Building the offensive line would be a good bet with what is cleared up.  Along with claiming off the free agency market undrafted offensive linemen.  

Benjamin wasn’t claimed off waivers, so the Bills aren’t off the hook for that. His contract was up at the end of this season so no effect on next year. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

3 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Because Andy Reid is a top offensive mind, it means that Benjamin is a good receiver because he signed him.

I've read that logic countless times here.

It probably means Reid is dealing with some injury concerns on offense and there wasn’t much help available at this point. 

9 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

i think salaries are guaranteed if you are on the 53 man roster after week one. His contract wasn’t claimed on waivers, so I believe the Bills are on the hook for the last 4 games. I could be wrong. 

Benjamin wasn’t claimed off waivers, so the Bills aren’t off the hook for that. His contract was up at the end of this season so no effect on next year. 

so this a-hole gets paid by both teams for being a sloth. that's messed up. If he is claimed he should only be paid for the games he played.

Just now, BillsRdue said:

so this a-hole gets paid by both teams for being a sloth. that's messed up. If he is claimed he should only be paid for the games he played.

I think the problem is he wont claimed, cleared waivers...I think.  Not sure of the details

Just now, BillsRdue said:

That is how it would work IF he was claimed. He wasn’t, so the Bills don’t get relief from KBs contract. I don’t know what KC is paying him, but I’d assume it’s much less than the approximately $2million he’d be due if KC put in a waiver claim. I’m pretty sure KBs 5th year option was about 8 million so that’s $500k per game. 

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

Was there offset language in the 5th year option that allows him to double dip? Im not sure that changes the cap charge though- just his actual cash earnings

Offsets and the like are the unknown here. Ther may be, but I’ve not seen details to that effect. Just that it was going to cost any team about $2m to claim Benjamin off waivers. 

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

That is how it would work IF he was claimed. He wasn’t, so the Bills don’t get relief from KBs contract. I don’t know what KC is paying him, but I’d assume it’s much less than the approximately $2million he’d be due if KC put in a waiver claim. I’m pretty sure KBs 5th year option was about 8 million so that’s $500k per game. 

I meant signed also. It shouldn't matter, it's messed up. If I get fired from work for doing a ***** job nobody pays me the rest of the year. What owner deserves to pay bad employees for screwing up their company. This needs to change asap. It literally gives him an incentive to suck so bad that the Bills drop him then double dip with a contender, prove himself, blame the Bills for his problems and sign next year for decent money. Totally f'd up any way you look at it.

Edited by BillsRdue

3 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

I meant signed also. It shouldn't matter, it's messed up. If I get fired from work for doing a ***** job nobody pays me the rest of the year. What owner deserves to pay bad employees for screwing up their company. This needs to change asap. It literally gives him an incentive to suck so bad that the Bills drop him then double dip with a contender, prove himself, blame the Bills for his problems and sign next year for decent money. Totally f'd up any way you look at it.

Yeah, it seems messed up but that’s the CBA. Every other major sports league has fully guaranteed contracts, so the NFL is a laggard as far as that’s concerened. The guaranteeing of contracts if on the opening day roster seems reasonable compared to the other leagues. At least you can cut a guy before the opener and not be on the hook for the rest of the deal in most cases. 

35 minutes ago, Zerovotlz said:

This is the only reason for KC to sign him if we did it to "help" our own team.  KC is thin at TE after Kelce.  

They may well have done this to keep him from Denver as well.

Why would a team leading the division at 10-2 burn a roster spot on signing a guy to “keep him from” the divisions 3rd place team, currently 6-6?

35 minutes ago, Zerovotlz said:

Watkins is apparently currently healthy so this signing, if it's about Watson at all, wasn't about Watson this week.

Frankly, a good many KC fans are overly happy about this signing and think we are getting the guy who excelled in Carolina, and not the hot mess he's been in Buffalo this year.  

If he works hard here and makes a contribution here and NOT in Denver, then I'm good with it....but really not a big deal in my opinion. 

Best Case is that he moves to TE and does well, makes himself into a nice thick tall red zone target....worst case...he sits on the bench and does nothing....not costing us much...and he isn't in Denver.

What is up with this Denver fixation?

IF KC thinks they signed a TE, Good Luck Mates!  KB can’t really block and he’s been playing very small for his size.  You’ll see.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1