Kelvin Benjamin Signs a 1-Year Deal with Kansas City; Has a Chance to Impress with Watkins Likely Out Until the Playoffs

As much as I disliked seeing what looked like lack of effort and focus, you honestly have to take a step back and wonder. What was going on in his mind?  What was bothering him physically? Emotionally? Did he not care, or was he pressing too hard? What led him to take himself out in the red zone last week? Is he just horrible when it comes to body language? Why would he appear to quit on the verge of what should have been the biggest payday of his life?  He’s trying to stay in the game, so was it just Buffalo he hated? This was curious in a way that I cannot explain. 

I’m as guilty as anyone about ripping this guy, but how did that come to be? I guess we’ll never know. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Augie said:

As much as I disliked seeing what looked like lack of effort and focus, you honestly have to take a step back and wonder. What was going on in his mind?  What was bothering him physically? Emotionally? Did he not care, or was he pressing too hard? What led him to take himself out in the red zone last week? Is he just horrible when it comes to body language? Why would he appear to quit on the verge of what should have been the biggest payday of his life?  He’s trying to stay in the game, so was it just Buffalo he hated? This was curious in a way that I cannot explain. 

I’m as guilty as anyone about ripping this guy, but how did that come to be? I guess we’ll never know. 

I have wondered this all as well. I imagine the Bills tried to get to the bottom of it, and finally just had to move on. Probably best for both sides. 

The thing I don’t believe is that he was “pressing too hard.” If that was the case the effort would be there, if not the production. But he had neither. 

• Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

You could feel the disappointment when he dropped that would be TD against NYJ.

I'm glad the guy is no longer a Bill, but some people spend way too much time analyzing body language, etc. We have no idea what's actually in his heart.

His poor play spoke for itself, but I think some of the criticism is unwarranted. He's no longer the Bills problem.

Amen to that last.

I agree with you about the body-language analysts.  But the route-running and ball-dropping analysts have a point. 

Ball hits your hands and you're an NFL wideout, you need to catch 'em more often than not.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Augie said:

When you find out,call Cam Newton.

3 hours ago, TroutDog said:

The Athletic has an interesting article on him:

The reality is that Benjamin was largely misunderstood. His body language wasn’t perfect, and he undoubtedly rubbed some people in the building the wrong way, but he had his supporters, too. It’s believed one of Benjamin’s problems was that he was pressing too much. This was a contract year for Benjamin, and every drop was eating him up. He hinted at that when he said this season was the worst of his entire football career and that he was looking forward to a fresh start.”

i believe it’s important to recognize that we have a sliver of the story, at best, when trashing these guys. I get it’s a message board but...

A sliver of the story? 

His game tape tells the ENTIRE story. Over and over and over and over again. There is no “misunderstanding” that. 

Doesn't matter if he was “pressing” (a nicer way of saying “choked”, btw) or if he got along with folks in the building or not. He was a terrible player while here. Period.

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

A sliver of the story? 

His game tape tells the ENTIRE story. Over and over and over and over again. There is no “misunderstanding” that. 

Doesn't matter if he was “pressing” (a nicer way of saying “choked”, btw) or if he got along with folks in the building or not. He was a terrible player while here. Period.

I have no ill will towards him

In a way he did us a favor...he showed us he was not a number 1 guy BEFORE Beane made a mistake and gave him a new contract.....

We should be THANKING him

• Like (+1) 1

I will literally cry tears of joy if he goes there and becomes a serious player for them, allowing them to knock NE off in the playoffs.

After that, I don't care what happens and football just becomes fun again.

If it seems like I make everything about NE, it's because that's what the NFL has become. It's a show about the Patriots, with the other teams added in to round out their story. Even those Dallas and SF teams of the 80's and 90's eventually went away.

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I will literally cry tears of joy if he goes there and becomes a serious player for them, allowing them to knock NE off in the playoffs.

After that, I don't care what happens and football just becomes fun again.

If it seems like I make everything about NE, it's because that's what the NFL has become. It's a show about the Patriots, with the other teams added in to round out their story. Even those Dallas and SF teams of the 80's and 90's eventually went away.

I couldn’t agree more, and can’t wait until it’s over. As if the Pats* never getting flagged for offensive holding isn’t bad enough, almost all rule changes seem designed with NE in mind as well. I think the goal is to see if Brady can play until he’s 50. Just hope the evil Pats empire doesn’t get anywhere near the SB this year. KC might be the foil, but they need to win out unless NE stumbles at PIT. The Pats* best chance at losing an AFC title game has been away from Foxboro. 

• Like (+1) 1

I am interested to see if he goes the way of Dareus (just doesn't want to play here and will actually try somewhere else), or if he goes the way of Mario (is just done trying).

You would think a WR would be pumped to be on a team with a blue chip prospect at QB.

4 hours ago, TroutDog said:

The Athletic has an interesting article on him:

The reality is that Benjamin was largely misunderstood. His body language wasn’t perfect, and he undoubtedly rubbed some people in the building the wrong way, but he had his supporters, too. It’s believed one of Benjamin’s problems was that he was pressing too much. This was a contract year for Benjamin, and every drop was eating him up. He hinted at that when he said this season was the worst of his entire football career and that he was looking forward to a fresh start.”

i believe it’s important to recognize that we have a sliver of the story, at best, when trashing these guys. I get it’s a message board but...

Pressing too much?  I don't know what this guy was watching, but whatever is the opposite of pressing too much is what KB was doing jogging apathetically around the football field.  WTH

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, stevewin said:

Pressing too much?  I don't know what this guy was watching, but whatever is the opposite of pressing too much is what KB was doing jogging apathetically around the football field.  WTH

To be honest, I think he's more soft mentally than lazy. His lack of production had to be wearing on him.

Neither is a good quality, and it was time to move on.

2 hours ago, Augie said:

I was honestly wondering if there were some mental/emotional problems - his apathy and lack of effort out on the field for the whole world to see was so over the top (under the bottom?) - it just wasn't normal behavior.  So strange.

2 minutes ago, stevewin said:

I was honestly wondering if there were some mental/emotional problems - his apathy and lack of effort out on the field for the whole world to see was so over the top (under the bottom?) - it just wasn't normal behavior.  So strange.

I’m not trying to be old and tired with this message, but it’s just not right to judge as we really don’t know. Again, I’ve been all over the guy in frustration, but I back off now as something just wasn’t right. 

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Kelvin Benjamin Visiting KC and Being Signed
  • 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Kelvin Benjamin Visiting KC and Being Signed per Schefter
  • 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Kelvin Benjamin Visiting KC and Will Sign a Contract per Schefter