Kelvin Benjamin Signs a 1-Year Deal with Kansas City; Has a Chance to Impress with Watkins Likely Out Until the Playoffs

The Athletic has an interesting article on him:

The reality is that Benjamin was largely misunderstood. His body language wasn’t perfect, and he undoubtedly rubbed some people in the building the wrong way, but he had his supporters, too. It’s believed one of Benjamin’s problems was that he was pressing too much. This was a contract year for Benjamin, and every drop was eating him up. He hinted at that when he said this season was the worst of his entire football career and that he was looking forward to a fresh start.”

i believe it’s important to recognize that we have a sliver of the story, at best, when trashing these guys. I get it’s a message board but...

Mahommes MVP season run just came to a screeching halt ;)

10 targets 8 drops per game ;)

2 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

The reality is that Benjamin was largely misunderstood. His body language wasn’t perfect, and he undoubtedly rubbed some people in the building the wrong way, but he had his supporters, too. It’s believed one of Benjamin’s problems was that he was pressing too much. This was a contract year for Benjamin, and every drop was eating him up. He hinted at that when he said this season was the worst of his entire football career and that he was looking forward to a fresh start.”

i believe it’s important to recognize that we have a sliver of the story, at best, when trashing these guys. I get it’s a message board but...

I feel so bad for the millionaire man/child ;) 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

So this fat-ass do nothing wanker can get paid twice for sucking his way out of town.  If that is true the CBA, owners and players union need to get this fixed. 

What incentive does a player with a guaranteed contract have to play well. Benjamin basically gives no effort, sucks to the point the team is forced to drop him, then picks up a paycheck from that team, goes to another team and gets paid again. He finally performs well and cashes in again. This is madness! There is no way in any other profession on earth could you perform like this and not be punished.

Don't worry..... they will raise ticket prices to cover it ;)

40 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

So this fat-ass do nothing wanker can get paid twice for sucking his way out of town.  If that is true the CBA, owners and players union need to get this fixed. 

What incentive does a player with a guaranteed contract have to play well.

Uhhh, to get a new contract? KB had every incentive in the world to play well this season.

16 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

You could feel the disappointment when he dropped that would be TD against NYJ.

I'm glad the guy is no longer a Bill, but some people spend way too much time analyzing body language, etc. We have no idea what's actually in his heart.

His poor play spoke for itself, but I think some of the criticism is unwarranted. He's no longer the Bills problem.

• Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

He was fat, unmotivated, and declining in production in Carolina.  

1 hour ago, TroutDog said:

That's an interesting article (nice to give the link, BTW, even though it's pay - folks can get a trial if desired)

Normally I respect Fairburn, but I really don't quite buy this article overall. 

" According to a source, the Bills’ strength staff loved Benjamin and had no issues with his effort. Publicly, Benjamin is often knocked as lazy and out of shape, but that view wasn’t shared by everyone in the building. Benjamin’s attitude and work ethic had nothing to do with his release. "

So Benjamin put in the effort in the weight room.  I just don't buy Fairburn's contention that KB's attitude and work ethic had nothing to do with his release. 

He even contradicts himself with quotes elsewhere in the article:

"McDermott has talked about the need to have a veteran in each position room to show the younger guys the way to perform. When asked if Benjamin has embraced that role, McDermott focused the attention on newly signed receiver Deonte Thompson. “I think part of the move in bringing DT back is trying to get a guy in that room that embodies some of those qualities that we’re looking for,” McDermott said. “DT has energy and has a good relationship with Kelvin and is a hard worker, so there’s certain things obviously that we’re looking for.”

In other words, No, KB had not embraced that veteran role and DT was brought in in part to be the leader KB wasn't being, and in a last-ditch attempt to reach KB.

Fairburn says "There’s a strong belief that Benjamin hasn’t been the same player since he suffered a second knee injury last season, tearing his meniscus in his second game in Buffalo. Benjamin missed two games with the injury and then played through it for the rest of the season. He had offseason surgery to repair the injury but never regained his explosiveness. Benjamin arrived in Buffalo having already undergone surgery to a repair the ACL in his other knee in 2015. The injuries robbed Benjamin of the burst he showed in his 1,000-yard, nine-touchdown rookie season with the Panthers in 2014."  That may be, and it could in part explain some of his route running mistakes such as rounding out his route on Josh Allen's INT.  But it doesn't explain all the balls that have hit him in the hands and he's "alligator armed"

Interesting article, but I don't buy it.  I don't want to call a guy names, but my eyeballs say KB was playing as though his head and heart were not in the game and that his attitude and work ethic (on the football field) had everything to do with his release.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

No. He cleared waivers so his previous contract is done. KC is free to negotiate any deal they'd like with him.

That’s what I was thinking. 

2 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

I would be ok with it because it means no NE in the Super Bowl.

Whatever it takes

Life can be a series of ugly choices! 

• Like (+1) 1

If the Chiefs actually bite, it's a blessing for KB who will have a chance to actually put in effort, play his hardest, and try and use this last handful of games to bait the Chiefs (or another team) into a long-term signing.  If this happens we'll get to find out how much of this was a declining KB, and how much was a don't give a damn KB.

• Thank you (+1) 1