The Athletic Subscribers...awesome breakdown of Allen's performance against Miami

DCOrange

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Does this count throwaways too? It seems to be missing 3 or 4 passes...

So basically almost all of Allen's incompletions were on throws of more than 20 yards downfield or a throwaway.

Most of his throws were pretty accurate I thought, I just dont see a guy who is wildly innacurate...I see a guy who throws the ball downfield or throws it away a lot which is going to equate to lower completion percentages.

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Does this count throwaways too? It seems to be missing 3 or 4 passes...

So basically almost all of Allen's incompletions were on throws of more than 20 yards downfield or a throwaway.

Most of his throws were pretty accurate I thought, I just dont see a guy who is wildly innacurate...I see a guy who throws the ball downfield or throws it away a lot which is going to equate to lower completion percentages.

Yes, the article in the OP mentions that Allen only had one incomplete pass on throws shorter than 20 yards.

4 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

On that crossing route where he takes off instead- Teller gets blown up immediately and is going backward through Allen's throwing lane and into his lap. 

It could also be argued that if he throws from the top of his drop he should hit Zay in stride over the middle - QBs have made that play. It's more the timing and recognition piece of this. He may have felt the pressure which caused him to stride and tuck and run, but I do think he had a window to throw, especially if he knows Zay is the first read on the play.

Yes, Sirles doesn't help by getting bull rushed, but it doesn't completely justify the tuck and run here.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, DCOrange said:

It would be nice if the guy reviewing the tape actually knew about NFL

If I wanted to read a fan (posing as a professional) take on footage, I would read Joe Marino or Jon Ledyard

30 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

It could also be argued that if he throws from the top of his drop he should hit Zay in stride over the middle - QBs have made that play. It's more the timing and recognition piece of this. He may have felt the pressure which caused him to stride and tuck and run, but I do think he had a window to throw, especially if he knows Zay is the first read on the play.

Yes, Sirles doesn't help by getting bull rushed, but it doesn't completely justify the tuck and run here.

I think next year he makes that throw. This season between missing time, a ton of learning on the fly, and line/receiver issues...seeing yet another guard on skates backing into him I get the decision. It's not optimal but it's understandable.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

It would be nice if the guy reviewing the tape actually knew about NFL

If I wanted to read a fan (posing as a professional) take on footage, I would read Joe Marino or Jon Ledyard

"The Draft Network" CAO and COO vs "Cover 1/The Athletic" and Erik Turner?

There's no disputing of taste, they say. 

But Dude.  Srsly?  Srsly?

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

"The Draft Network" CAO and COO vs "Cover 1/The Athletic" and Erik Turner?

There's no disputing of taste, they say. 

But Dude.  Srsly?  Srsly?

Just saying....neither Turner not Ledyard have ever worked on a college or NFL staff.  They both have high school coaching backgrounds like most people here in the forum.  Turner is actually a customs agent at the Canadian Border.  

Their analysis is akin to a former high school football player or coach breaking down film.  It’s cool - some of the insight is interesting.  In my opinion their opinion holds as much weight as some of established, proven players and NFL executives that breakdown film.

I will say The Athletic is a professional media, whereas the Draft Network is a glorified fan blog.   So props to Turner for getting that gig.

If you want film analysis on The Athletic, read the breakdown from Matt Fairburn and Joe Licata.  Joe actually ran the offense as a QB at UB and was a camp arm for Cincinnati.  

Edited by Phil The Thrill

6 hours ago, BillsFanMike said:

He's getting better each game. That's what I was hoping for and that's what he's delivering. Lets see what he does this week against the Jets. They're looking for revenge so it should be a good game. All I want to see this year is Josh play and get better every week. If he does that, I think we may have a franchise QB.

i want to see 30 attempts and 300 yds. i want to see that we have a 300 yd. thrower for once. i do believe he will work the pocket more, maybe this week he works on his short game, idk, but at some point before the end i wanna see a 300 yd. game.

I was bored and I decided to search YouTube for Josh Allen videos to get inspired. I found this one, released just hours ago, the analyzes Allen's footwork that needs to be corrected before he can make the leap to the next level. The video also points out he has made progess under Daboll. I hope the coaches see this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rQ67QmlGJI

To summarize, the problem is Allen is not pointing his lead foot the right way to make an accurate throw. This is the first thing they taght me when I learned to throw years ago.

[Mod note merging this in because both the YouTube vid and Athletic article are Cover 1/Erik Turner analysis]

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

they share some of the same writers

Let me rephrase that....I’m not a fan of Eric Turner, because I don’t think he has a credible voice.  He played high school football like we all did.  Never worked for a college team, never worked for an NFL team, never even worked for an XFL or lingerie bowl team.  

He works hard no doubt, but again it’s like some of us watching film and critiquing players.  He a fan. Period.