Sign in to follow this  
billvernsays

Josh Allen strategy

18 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I thought Allen had decent time on that play, but I’m pretty sure we are on the same play. 

I just watched it again, you are correct...he had four full seconds in the middle of the pocket and then bailed to his left and hit Zay. He did have plenty of time but I guess no one was open and thats why he had to leave the pocket. Great throw. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

What poor choices (plural) did they make about receivers?

I got some.

We could and should have (IMHO) RE SIGNED Jordyn Matthews.  Even though not great he would be one of our top guys now.  He seems to be able to contribute in Philly.

stop letting our good guys get away.  Am I the only one tired of watching our cast off WRs play and contribute on high powered offences?  Thinking Sammy first in LA and now KC,  Woods in LA, MAtthews in Philly, and Hogan in NE. What do the Bills  coaches/GMs know bad about these guys that Andy Reed, Doug Pederson, Bill Bellyache, and the Rams coaches NOT know?

draft better. We could have had Cupp over Zay without trading up. Could have taken Ridley in first. I like Edmunds, but our D was already pretty good and we drafted a QB at 7.

Edited by reddogblitz

12 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I got some.

We could and should have (IMHO) RE SIGNED Jordyn Matthews.  Even though not great he would be one of our top guys now.  He seems to be able to contribute in Philly.

stop letting our good guys get away.  Am I the only one tired of watching our cast off WRs play and contribute on high powered offences?  Thinking Sammy first in LA and now KC,  Woods in LA, MAtthews in Philly, and Hogan in NE. What do draft he Bills  coaches/GMs know bad about these guys that Andy Reed, Doug Pederson, Bill Bellyache, and the Rams coaches NOT know?

draft better. We could have had Cupp over Zay without trading up. Could have taken Ridley in first. I like Edmunds, but our D was already pretty good and we drafted a QB at 7.

No and just no

Sammy Watkins is on his 3rd team...has not been productive....admitted he had a attitude problem here....and now is out with a FOOT injury which was the scare with him while he was here to begin with......not a process guy and has NOT lived up to his draft status

Woods didnt want to be here

Jordan should have been resigned

Zay getting better game by game it seems......he is still not at Kupp's level...however it does take about 3 years to know and Zay's turnaround from year one has been pretty significant.

Our linebacking core was in SHAMBLES......they needed a athletic cover linebacker and drafted a young one with all the potential in the world.......offense gets taken care of next year.

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

Zay getting better game by game it seems......he is still not at Kupp's level...however it does take about 3 years to know and Zay's turnaround from year one has been pretty significant.

Kupp didn't need 3 years.  Heck, he didn't even need 3 games.

On 12/8/2018 at 7:31 AM, reddogblitz said:

I got some.

stop letting our good guys get away.  Am I the only one tired of watching our cast off WRs play and contribute on high powered offences?  Thinking Sammy first in LA and now KC,  Woods in LA, MAtthews in Philly, and Hogan in NE. What do the Bills  coaches/GMs know bad about these guys that Andy Reed, Doug Pederson, Bill Bellyache, and the Rams coaches NOT know?

We are in a rebuild. And on top of that we were in desperate need of cleaning up our cap situation and accumulating enough draft capital to be sure we could bring in one of the top three QBs this year.

So of course we let a bunch of guys go. That's what you do when you're forced into dumping future cap and it's what you do when you can get tradeable draft picks for the mediocre and wildly overpaid likes of Sammy with the idea of bringing in a Darnold, a Mayfield or an Allen.

Hogan was let go a year before McDermott left Carolina.

Matthews put up 282 yards here. Whereas this year with Carson Wentz throwing to him he's blowing the league away with 287 yards and 26.1 YPG. Who give a meh?

The one guy in there who would have made a real difference was Woods, and he was let go for cap reasons. They wanted him back but couldn't afford him with the Whaley cap glut.

And choosing Zay does NOT appear to be a "poor choice," by any means. We could possibly have made a better choice when you look back with hindsight, but that's true of nearly any draft decision looked back at with hindsight. You can examine the record of the best drafters ever and find hundreds of ways they could have picked better. The question is whether they picked well. While it's not certain yet, picking Zay looks to have been a pretty good decision, though we'll know more as we watch him develop.

Edited by Thurman#1

Allen's going to get injured doing what he's doing: trying to single-handedly carry a team w/o an o-line, running game or WRs. Given that this year is now about developing Allen, why not tell him: stay in the pocket on every pass play, and either complete the pass or throw it away before you get hit. No designed runs, no scrambles to avoid sacks.

It gives him the practice he needs in the pocket. Granted, very likely to lose all three games going forward with this strategy, but the best thing for Allen? - I think so.

Edited by Roch-A-Bill

The colts invested heavily into their offensive line prior to Mannings first season and they did a good job of protecting him.  I wish the Bills did the same for Allen.  This off season hopefully.