Josh Allen strategy

3 hours ago, Augie said:

By no means do I want him turning into Captain Checkdwn, but I’d like to see him do it a little more to see if he CAN do it. The 20-30 yard bullet plays to his strength - a huge arm. Does he consistently have the touch to throw that good dump pass? I’m not saying he doesn’t, I just haven’t seen enough to feel as comfortable as I should.  

Burn the Captain Checkdown tapes Augie! ?

1st I want to say this thread was a pleasure to read.  Kudo's to all that participated.

So many very good points made.  Most of us agree that Josh Allen certainly is not ordinary. 

He saved my football season these last 2 games from being a near disaster.

I can't wait until Sunday.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

There are lots of good points here, but I can't really agree with the premise: all of us were pissed at how management handled the QB position midway through this season. Beane flat out admitted bringing in Derek 'mentor' Anderson so late was a mistake, so credit to him for saying that he was overthinking that keeping a third QB wouldn't have been worth the roster spot. Also, I do like the quote you brought up in regards to Peyton, but he and Josh obviously have completely different circumstances and skills upon being drafted. 

That said, I do have enough faith in Daboll to stay for this next season as we improve with the additions on this side of the ball. I was really excited watching Tyrod play his first year with us, but after he plateau-ed not so much. Josh definitely has single-handedly reinvigorated my excitement in this team, and winning last week would have been great on his career highlight reel and for keeping us in the hunt this year, but I'm not really even mad because aside from the NE game every single one of our matchups are most definitely winnable, especially at home.

8 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

another fine example of your point that jumped out during the game:

3rd Quarter ~ 6 mins left. Within a score (5  pts I believe). 

3rd and 12 from their own 2.  

How many times in the last two decades, in that situation, do the bills hand off or throw underneath to “get the punter more room.” 100%?

Betting there is not one time in that situation in Q3 within a score or even 2, backed up that far, they throw a pass past the first down marker from their own EZ. I’m not even sure Brees Brady or Rodgers are given that play to run. 

What happened in Miami?  JA fires a 22 yard sideline laser to Zay for a first down. Incidentally great route, sideline throw where only Zay catches on in bounds and protection held up fairly well. 

I can't remember any QB on any team making that throw in that same situation. If that was on Monday Night, that's all the sports shows would be talking about - that throw. It was insane. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

1st I want to say this thread was a pleasure to read.  Kudo's to all that participated.

So many very good points made.  Most of us agree that Josh Allen certainly is not ordinary. 

He saved my football season these last 2 games from being a near disaster.

I can't wait until Sunday.

I agree we need to do more of this. 

9 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

You know who needed this advice real real bad...Tyrod Taylor.  I think it is far to late for that old dog to learn any new tricks.

Thats exactly it. Tyrod is who he is, a game manager who’ll protect the ball and he has some wheels on him to get out of a jam, extend the play and perhaps get a 1st down.

He’s perfect for a team like the Ravens this year. Their defense is good enough that playing that way and not making many mistakes on offense will allow them to win many games. 

The problem with that style is you get a penalty and forget about it, you’re punting. Offensive turnover in your own RedZone and you’re probably going to lose the game. It’s just too hard to consistently win because once the game starts things happen.

Kinda like Mike Tyson said, “Everyone’s got a plan until they get punched in the mouth”

Tyrod did enough to help us break the curse and for that I’ll always be greatful, but it’s hard to watch Josh Allen play and not notice the stark difference. 

8 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Isn’t Tim Tebow second in that stat?

also, the Bills didn’t have to have terrible receivers around Allen this year.  They just made poor choices.  Hopefully, they get someone else to scout receivers for them.

Pittsburgh... they’d be the wr scouts I’m following around. 

12 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

also, the Bills didn’t have to have terrible receivers around Allen this year.  They just made poor choices.  Hopefully, they get someone else to scout receivers for them.

What poor choices (plural) did they make about receivers? The problem wasn't scouting. It was that they committed very very few resources (draft picks and cap money) to receivers this year. We had far too many holes to fill, and there were always going to be areas neglected, it was just which areas.

The choice to pick Zay was the only one where we committed real resources to WR and it appears to be starting to work out pretty well.

The Benjamin trade was the only poor choice.

Other than that they've brought in veteran minimum kinds of guys or taken very cheap fliers on guys who haven't worked out. Not a lot of fliers do work out.

It's not like guys like Dez were going to come here this year, especially for peanuts. The Bills tried to get John Brown but couldn't get him. What WR would come to a team with our QB room on a prove-it deal?

18 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I thought Allen had decent time on that play, but I’m pretty sure we are on the same play. 

I just watched it again, you are correct...he had four full seconds in the middle of the pocket and then bailed to his left and hit Zay. He did have plenty of time but I guess no one was open and thats why he had to leave the pocket. Great throw. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

What poor choices (plural) did they make about receivers?

I got some.

We could and should have (IMHO) RE SIGNED Jordyn Matthews.  Even though not great he would be one of our top guys now.  He seems to be able to contribute in Philly.

stop letting our good guys get away.  Am I the only one tired of watching our cast off WRs play and contribute on high powered offences?  Thinking Sammy first in LA and now KC,  Woods in LA, MAtthews in Philly, and Hogan in NE. What do the Bills  coaches/GMs know bad about these guys that Andy Reed, Doug Pederson, Bill Bellyache, and the Rams coaches NOT know?

draft better. We could have had Cupp over Zay without trading up. Could have taken Ridley in first. I like Edmunds, but our D was already pretty good and we drafted a QB at 7.

Edited by reddogblitz

12 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I got some.

We could and should have (IMHO) RE SIGNED Jordyn Matthews.  Even though not great he would be one of our top guys now.  He seems to be able to contribute in Philly.

stop letting our good guys get away.  Am I the only one tired of watching our cast off WRs play and contribute on high powered offences?  Thinking Sammy first in LA and now KC,  Woods in LA, MAtthews in Philly, and Hogan in NE. What do draft he Bills  coaches/GMs know bad about these guys that Andy Reed, Doug Pederson, Bill Bellyache, and the Rams coaches NOT know?

draft better. We could have had Cupp over Zay without trading up. Could have taken Ridley in first. I like Edmunds, but our D was already pretty good and we drafted a QB at 7.

No and just no

Sammy Watkins is on his 3rd team...has not been productive....admitted he had a attitude problem here....and now is out with a FOOT injury which was the scare with him while he was here to begin with......not a process guy and has NOT lived up to his draft status

Woods didnt want to be here

Jordan should have been resigned

Zay getting better game by game it seems......he is still not at Kupp's level...however it does take about 3 years to know and Zay's turnaround from year one has been pretty significant.

Our linebacking core was in SHAMBLES......they needed a athletic cover linebacker and drafted a young one with all the potential in the world.......offense gets taken care of next year.

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

Zay getting better game by game it seems......he is still not at Kupp's level...however it does take about 3 years to know and Zay's turnaround from year one has been pretty significant.

Kupp didn't need 3 years.  Heck, he didn't even need 3 games.

On 12/8/2018 at 7:31 AM, reddogblitz said:

I got some.

stop letting our good guys get away.  Am I the only one tired of watching our cast off WRs play and contribute on high powered offences?  Thinking Sammy first in LA and now KC,  Woods in LA, MAtthews in Philly, and Hogan in NE. What do the Bills  coaches/GMs know bad about these guys that Andy Reed, Doug Pederson, Bill Bellyache, and the Rams coaches NOT know?

We are in a rebuild. And on top of that we were in desperate need of cleaning up our cap situation and accumulating enough draft capital to be sure we could bring in one of the top three QBs this year.

So of course we let a bunch of guys go. That's what you do when you're forced into dumping future cap and it's what you do when you can get tradeable draft picks for the mediocre and wildly overpaid likes of Sammy with the idea of bringing in a Darnold, a Mayfield or an Allen.

Hogan was let go a year before McDermott left Carolina.

Matthews put up 282 yards here. Whereas this year with Carson Wentz throwing to him he's blowing the league away with 287 yards and 26.1 YPG. Who give a meh?

The one guy in there who would have made a real difference was Woods, and he was let go for cap reasons. They wanted him back but couldn't afford him with the Whaley cap glut.

And choosing Zay does NOT appear to be a "poor choice," by any means. We could possibly have made a better choice when you look back with hindsight, but that's true of nearly any draft decision looked back at with hindsight. You can examine the record of the best drafters ever and find hundreds of ways they could have picked better. The question is whether they picked well. While it's not certain yet, picking Zay looks to have been a pretty good decision, though we'll know more as we watch him develop.

Edited by Thurman#1

Allen's going to get injured doing what he's doing: trying to single-handedly carry a team w/o an o-line, running game or WRs. Given that this year is now about developing Allen, why not tell him: stay in the pocket on every pass play, and either complete the pass or throw it away before you get hit. No designed runs, no scrambles to avoid sacks.

It gives him the practice he needs in the pocket. Granted, very likely to lose all three games going forward with this strategy, but the best thing for Allen? - I think so.

Edited by Roch-A-Bill

9 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

We are in a rebuild. And on top of that we were in desperate need of cleaning up our cap situation and accumulating enough draft capital to be sure we could bring in one of the top three QBs this year.

So of course we let a bunch of guys go. That's what you do when you're forced into dumping future cap and it's what you do when you can get tradeable draft picks for the mediocre and wildly overpaid likes of Sammy with the idea of bringing in a Darnold, a Mayfield or an Allen.

Hogan was let go a year before McDermott left Carolina.

Matthews put up 282 yards here. Whereas this year with Carson Wentz throwing to him he's blowing the league away with 287 yards and 26.1 YPG. Who give a meh?

The one guy in there who would have made a real difference was Woods, and he was let go for cap reasons. They wanted him back but couldn't afford him with the Whaley cap glut.

And choosing Zay does NOT appear to be a "poor choice," by any means. We could possibly have made a better choice when you look back with hindsight, but that's true of nearly any draft decision looked back at with hindsight. You can examine the record of the best drafters ever and find hundreds of ways they could have picked better. The question is whether they picked well. While it's not certain yet, picking Zay looks to have been a pretty good decision, though we'll know more as we watch him develop.

Sorry man, just don't buy this whole salary cap/rebuild nonsense.  It was self inflicted.  We didn't have to waste a season.  It's been documented on here many times.   And it looks like 9-7 or maybe 8-8 will get you into playoffs this year too.

Hopefully you are right and next year we won't have to worry about this sucking non talent team nonsense anymore because all this cap room/draft picks blah blah blah will fix everything.

On 12/6/2018 at 9:30 AM, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I'm definitely eating crow right now as I was on the start Barkley until he flops train before going back to Allen. Allen has looked like a completely different QB since coming back from the injury. 

I was incredibly nervous about our JA investment preinjury. He brought a new animal when he came back. Showing everything he's capable of.

• Agree 1