Jump to content
YoloinOhio

Lorax - should he be extended?

Recommended Posts

Numbers don't lie. I'm shocked to see him at #4 in pressure percentage because I rarely notice him anymore during the games.

 

Still want to get more athletic at that spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LSHMEAB said:

NOOOO!

 

He's eating up a roster spot that could be had by a younger, more athletic player.

 

If he can be had for vet minimum, I wouldn't hate it. The main thing this defense is lacking is another edge rusher opposite Hughes. We need a younger, more athletic version of Lorax. I think that'll help us out quite a bit in the RZ, where the D has struggled mightily.

 

I'm over Lorax the football player.

I don’t think it’s one or the other. If there is a young, more athletic player they want to add as an edge rusher they can give him Mike Love’s roster spot (or whoever). The issue is productivity, regardless of age. And he’s still pretty athletic or he wouldn’t be producing at such a high level. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t think it’s one or the other. If there is a young, more athletic player they want to add as an edge rusher they can give him Mike Love’s roster spot (or whoever). The issue is productivity, regardless of age. And he’s still pretty athletic or he wouldn’t be producing at such a high level. 

Fair enough. As good as his numbers look, I just can't see him performing at a high level much longer, if at all.

 

If they bring him back to a ONE YEAR DEAL, my hope would be that they don't view the position as settled. Gotta get more athletic in the front 7.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has definitely earned it thus far! However, what would Hoodie do? One of the sneaky secrets he’s developed to sustained success over there is knowing when to let an established veteran walk before their play noticeably deteriorates on the field—Lawyer Milloy, Bledsoe come to mind or even Solder this year, among other examples. Would we live to regret an extension if his play catches up to his age/road miles? Look, I love the guy, his heart, enthusiasm, leadership etc., but I do worry about his age, call me crazy. Maybe a short term deal with a club option and continue to develop depth behind him JIC?

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Fair enough. As good as his numbers look, I just can't see him performing at a high level much longer, if at all.

 

If they bring him back to a ONE YEAR DEAL, my hope would be that they don't view the position as settled. Gotta get more athletic in the front 7.

I wouldn’t anticipate that. They seem to be pretty forward thinking 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One year deals are easy peasy.  Throw some incentives in there and of course you keep the guy.   He's got Jerry Hughes disruptiveness, but without the pyschopathic gene.

 

LB's that can rush, cover AND tackle are gold.   There is zero chance the Bills let him go, it's not like we're deep at LB anyway.

 

Was this a rhetorical question post?   Yeah, I fell for it.....

 

He reminds me of Fred Jackson, who still had himself in great shape and was a huge team asset late in his career.  (you know, until Whaley felt that Booby Dixon was a better call)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know many people want to upgrade here, but does everyone realize that Lorax is the 2 down SAM backer? Half the time, when we actually have three linebackers in the game we are in an under look where Lorax is playing on the line. The majority of his playing time comes as a pass rusher in the nickel. Yes it makes sense to get younger and more athletic, but we are not often in base 4-3 looks. Lorax has played very little off ball SAM this year. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I know many people want to upgrade here, but does everyone realize that Lorax is the 2 down SAM backer? Half the time, when we actually have three linebackers in the game we are in an under look where Lorax is playing on the line. The majority of his playing time comes as a pass rusher in the nickel. Yes it makes sense to get younger and more athletic, but we are not often in base 4-3 looks. Lorax has played very little off ball SAM this year. 

 

Good points.

Signing Lorax for another year would be smart.  No sense opening up another need when there already so many others.

They can draft his replacement in 2020.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love Lorax.

 

Additionally, what a great time for us to be in "rent a player" situations.

 

In other words, given the room we have we can make decent offers to players who are on short term deals.

 

Lorax at 3.5 as was suggested earlier and if he has room in the tank...great.

 

If Williams wants to come back on a limited basis...him too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure Lorenzo and Kyle have jobs here for as long as they want. If either guy wants to keep playing, all they gotta do is say the word and I'm sure McBeane would draw up a new contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

UFA this year, age 35

He can't keep up with a FB in pass coverage (Jacksonville game for example),that's a problem.He's a stud of a family man,plays wise and conservative but he's getting the dreaded "piano feet".... a fan favorite for sure...but he will not be a starter here,next year.No way...depth,locker room leadership is a given though..3-3.5 for one more year which will probably be a courtesy move by the "Beane Counter".just my two cents worth of jibber jabber....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

No do not sign him.  We do not need dominant savvy veteran leader players

 

 

They sound a bit anti-process. Trying to stand out in a crowd with good play and strong leadership.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He’s on WGR right now and they asked him if Edmunds could be his son and then he said yes because his daughter is 23. Then clarified she is his step-daughter. That makes more sense!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×