Lorax - should he be extended?

YoloinOhio

One year deals are easy peasy.  Throw some incentives in there and of course you keep the guy.   He's got Jerry Hughes disruptiveness, but without the pyschopathic gene.

LB's that can rush, cover AND tackle are gold.   There is zero chance the Bills let him go, it's not like we're deep at LB anyway.

Was this a rhetorical question post?   Yeah, I fell for it.....

He reminds me of Fred Jackson, who still had himself in great shape and was a huge team asset late in his career.  (you know, until Whaley felt that Booby Dixon was a better call)

I know many people want to upgrade here, but does everyone realize that Lorax is the 2 down SAM backer? Half the time, when we actually have three linebackers in the game we are in an under look where Lorax is playing on the line. The majority of his playing time comes as a pass rusher in the nickel. Yes it makes sense to get younger and more athletic, but we are not often in base 4-3 looks. Lorax has played very little off ball SAM this year. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I know many people want to upgrade here, but does everyone realize that Lorax is the 2 down SAM backer? Half the time, when we actually have three linebackers in the game we are in an under look where Lorax is playing on the line. The majority of his playing time comes as a pass rusher in the nickel. Yes it makes sense to get younger and more athletic, but we are not often in base 4-3 looks. Lorax has played very little off ball SAM this year. 

Good points.

Signing Lorax for another year would be smart.  No sense opening up another need when there already so many others.

They can draft his replacement in 2020.

• Like (+1) 1

I love Lorax.

Additionally, what a great time for us to be in "rent a player" situations.

In other words, given the room we have we can make decent offers to players who are on short term deals.

Lorax at 3.5 as was suggested earlier and if he has room in the tank...great.

If Williams wants to come back on a limited basis...him too!

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

UFA this year, age 35

He can't keep up with a FB in pass coverage (Jacksonville game for example),that's a problem.He's a stud of a family man,plays wise and conservative but he's getting the dreaded "piano feet".... a fan favorite for sure...but he will not be a starter here,next year.No way...depth,locker room leadership is a given though..3-3.5 for one more year which will probably be a courtesy move by the "Beane Counter".just my two cents worth of jibber jabber....

18 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

NOOOO!

He's eating up a roster spot that could be had by a younger, more athletic player.

If he can be had for vet minimum, I wouldn't hate it. The main thing this defense is lacking is another edge rusher opposite Hughes. We need a younger, more athletic version of Lorax. I think that'll help us out quite a bit in the RZ, where the D has struggled mightily.

I'm over Lorax the football player.

He’s having arguably his best year all around year as a cog in a solid unit and you over him as a player..... 

I agree we obviously need to be thinking about a replacement immediately due to his age..... But WOW, the things people say on here. SMH 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

He’s having arguably his best year all around year as a cog in a solid unit and you over him as a player..... 

I agree we obviously need to be thinking about a replacement immediately due to his age..... But WOW, the things people say on here. SMH 

He's a fantastic rotational guy on a cheap vet contract. If someone comes in and outperforms him that's exactly what we want. Until then he's set a high bar (and that's not a bad thing!)

On 12/6/2018 at 10:48 AM, RyanC883 said:

good point.  If not, I could see him being an announcer.  Would be nice to have a defensive guy in the broadcast booth.  Most seem to be offensive guys lately. 

And it would be nice to have an announcer who played special teams.  I would not be surprised to see him be snapper if long snapper was hurt.

5 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Fair enough. The numbers refute my take on Lorax and I always defer to numbers.

That being said, the lack of a dynamic edge athlete is preventing this defense from making the jump from good to elite. Too many TD's in the RZ. Get a freak athlete coming off the edge and I believe that works itself out. Does anyone have a better idea as to how to fix the awful RZ defense? Love to hear it.

Edited by LSHMEAB