Lorax - should he be extended?

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He wasn't signed for his fit in Rex's scheme he was signed for his special teams play. Then Shaq went down, Manny Lawson struggled and had a PED issue and suddenly Lorax was in.

I was for cutting him last year because as an off the ball backer in this scheme going sideline to sideline he struggled. They hit on the way to use him effectively in that playoff game in Jacksonville and he has been lights out this year. If he wants a 1 year extension I'd give him one.

I felt the same way. Alexander did not look that good last year.

Then we get to the Jacksonville game and he played his best game of the season.

Since then he has been playing outstanding and he's a great leader.

I understand that he's not an every down player, but I would love to see the Bills give him a new contract.

I would give him another 2 year deal. He would be worth it, and if we do draft another linebacker, it would be great to have him there as a teacher and to hold the position down until said new linebacker is ready.

Lorax should be brought back. I think he will probably command about 6 million a year and would be easily worth it. Dude has 6.5 sacks with 4 games left to play and he plays at the LB position for a lot of snaps. He also is by all accounts a great locker room guy and adds tremendous versatility to the defense being able to anchor the line backer position and play DE and DT in pass rushing situations. 

NOOOO!

He's eating up a roster spot that could be had by a younger, more athletic player.

If he can be had for vet minimum, I wouldn't hate it. The main thing this defense is lacking is another edge rusher opposite Hughes. We need a younger, more athletic version of Lorax. I think that'll help us out quite a bit in the RZ, where the D has struggled mightily.

I'm over Lorax the football player.

Just now, LSHMEAB said:

NOOOO!

He's eating up a roster spot that could be had by a younger, more athletic player.

If he can be had for vet minimum, I wouldn't hate it. The main thing this defense is lacking is another edge rusher opposite Hughes. We need a younger, more athletic version of Lorax. I think that'll help us out quite a bit in the RZ, where the D has struggled mightily.

I'm over Lorax the football player.

I don’t think it’s one or the other. If there is a young, more athletic player they want to add as an edge rusher they can give him Mike Love’s roster spot (or whoever). The issue is productivity, regardless of age. And he’s still pretty athletic or he wouldn’t be producing at such a high level. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t think it’s one or the other. If there is a young, more athletic player they want to add as an edge rusher they can give him Mike Love’s roster spot (or whoever). The issue is productivity, regardless of age. And he’s still pretty athletic or he wouldn’t be producing at such a high level. 

Fair enough. As good as his numbers look, I just can't see him performing at a high level much longer, if at all.

If they bring him back to a ONE YEAR DEAL, my hope would be that they don't view the position as settled. Gotta get more athletic in the front 7.

Has definitely earned it thus far! However, what would Hoodie do? One of the sneaky secrets he’s developed to sustained success over there is knowing when to let an established veteran walk before their play noticeably deteriorates on the field—Lawyer Milloy, Bledsoe come to mind or even Solder this year, among other examples. Would we live to regret an extension if his play catches up to his age/road miles? Look, I love the guy, his heart, enthusiasm, leadership etc., but I do worry about his age, call me crazy. Maybe a short term deal with a club option and continue to develop depth behind him JIC?

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12

2 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Fair enough. As good as his numbers look, I just can't see him performing at a high level much longer, if at all.

If they bring him back to a ONE YEAR DEAL, my hope would be that they don't view the position as settled. Gotta get more athletic in the front 7.

I wouldn’t anticipate that. They seem to be pretty forward thinking