Bears won't let season ticket holder wear Packers jersey

7 minutes ago, Watkins90 said:

That's not what you wrote. You clearly stated "seats." That's a lot different than being on the field for pregame festivities. You don't need to insult me. 

Guys, he sells most of the Bears tickets. I bet they always go for above face value, which is what he pays as a season ticket holder. It really isn't that inconceivable. 

Do they sell better than Bills tickets when they are out of the hunt and winter sets in? I hope so, for his sake. But to each their own, I’m not judging, just curious. For all I know he’s a trust fund baby, or it’s just that important to him. Either way, good for him! 

Edited by Augie

9 hours ago, Chris from Rochester said:

I'm from upstate NY originally and live in NC now and am very excited to wear my Sabres jersey at the Hurricanes game next month. As much as I hate to say it, there are Patriots fans who live in Buffalo and have every right to support the team they love when they come to town.  I'm sure the Bears ownership has no problem with Pack fans buying $15 beers and $10 hot dogs tho when they are in the stadium.  This is stupid.

I actually agree with every word here, but technically speaking they don't have 'every right'. Bears have a right to refuse business for just about any reason, as does any other business.

Still a dumb move. Really comes across weak, like they are afraid of opposing fans in their stadium. I like it better in Buffalo, where opposing fans are afraid of our stadium. ???

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Where does a teacher get the money for 5 seasons tix in Chicago plus another set at Lambeau, plus the legal fees? (My FIRST thought.) Good for him! I like his spunk, but I also get where the teams come from. He earned his points and I’d like to see David beat Goliath in this case. What does it reallly hurt? Maybe show a little open-mindedness. 

Teachers get paid well. Especially long time teachers.

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Where does a teacher get the money for 5 seasons tix in Chicago plus another set at Lambeau, plus the legal fees? (My FIRST thought.) Good for him! I like his spunk, but I also get where the teams come from. He earned his points and I’d like to see David beat Goliath in this case. What does it reallly hurt? Maybe show a little open-mindedness. 

The article notes he was being represented by a legal team from a school(Duke Law School) that takes on cases for no charge for those who demonstrate financial need. For the practice of law students to get experience I would assume.

Also notes he is suing for legal fees, so if Bears lose they could possibly be ordered by the court to pay the legal team fees that the legal team previously agreed to provide for free to the Packer fan. Not sure how that works but seems illegal, however, can only assume they know what they are doing as they have been doing this previously.

Edited by cba fan

2 hours ago, Watkins90 said:

That's not what you wrote. You clearly stated "seats." That's a lot different than being on the field for pregame festivities. You don't need to insult me. 

Guys, he sells most of the Bears tickets. I bet they always go for above face value, which is what he pays as a season ticket holder. It really isn't that inconceivable. 

Not an insult.  The first Amendment applys everywhere there is not a binding agreement and even with an agreement what can be limited is limited.  I didnt mean to insult you I just was pointing out my example was exstreme to make a point.  Obviously there is a big difference between packers gear and MLK but the later is easier to see  a violation.  However they are equally protected.

1 hour ago, cba fan said:

Teachers get paid well. Especially long time teachers.

The article notes he was being represented by a legal team from a school(Duke Law School) that takes on cases for no charge for those who demonstrate financial need. For the practice of law students to get experience I would assume.

Also notes he is suing for legal fees, so if Bears lose they could possibly be ordered by the court to pay the legal team fees that the legal team previously agreed to provide for free to the Packer fan. Not sure how that works but seems illegal, however, can only assume they know what they are doing as they have been doing this previously.

No they simply wave the fees if the case is not won, Just like personal injury cases.  Not uncommon at all.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Then, I would say that the Bears have some traction.  If you are selling for profit EVERY game, then you are not a fan of the team. Being a season ticket holder is not a business, and you should not profit from the tickets as such.

if he uses the NFL Ticket Exchange he's likely ok....that would be very bad PR

having said that....the Denver Broncos recently purged hundreds of these STH types (helps if you have a waiting list)

20 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

When inconsiderate people do this just to make money, long time season ticket holders get to sit with opposing fans, which sometimes is unpleasant when the ticket holder of the day, turns out to be a real dick.

If you need to make money like this, GET A JOB.

The lawsuit is not seeking damages of any kind only reimbursement of legal expenses if he wins.  Making a point about freedom.  What a drag. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BUFFALOBART said:

...Freedom to take a crap on everyone around his seats, so he can make a few lousy bucks. I would like to have freedom to not have to endure thoughtless morons like that, when watching a game.  People who focus on making money at any cost, are mentally ill.

One reason I only watch games on TV these years

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/6/2018 at 5:03 AM, Buddy Hix said:

How petty of the Bears to hassle the guy. I hope the judge gives the Bears a verbal beat down for wasting everyone’s time.

Exactly.  Bears acting like a spoiled nine year end.  How embarrassing for them.

On 12/8/2018 at 1:33 PM, BUFFALOBART said:

When inconsiderate people do this just to make money, long time season ticket holders get to sit with opposing fans, which sometimes is unpleasant when the ticket holder of the day, turns out to be a real dick.

I understand your viewpoint on the guy holding 5 seasons and mostly selling them, but that’s a separate issue from the lawsuit, right?

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Yes it is. If the guy shows up once a year in a Packers jersey,  I don’t really see an issue. He should buy the single game ticket on the open market, and be done with it. When you are a season ticket holder, you become part of a neighborhood, of sorts. Seasons that I have held in the past had frequent ‘guest appearances’ , next to me, and it was annoying, to say the least. 

If I sell one of my tickets, it is to Bills fans only. Otherwise the seat will remain empty

Well, I don't know how easy it is to accomplish in Chicago, but apparently he wants a block of 5 seats.  Could he get those on the open market?  Dunno.  Certainly not likely if everyone held the viewpoint you explain above.

[Apparently it's not wearing his Packers jersey in the stands that's the lawsuit issue, it's wanting to wear it into a special sideline access perk for season ticket holders, which I think is an extra layer of up-yours-dom.]

On 12/6/2018 at 7:05 AM, That's No Moon said:

Bet they monitor the 5 seats he owns every week looking for an excuse to take the seats away.  The guy said he owns the seats just to go to the Packers game and sells them the rest of the time.

Jesus H. Christ.  If the Sabres hassled the insufferable Loaf fans... The place would be empty.

Send the Pegulas to ChiTown stat!  Mediate and tell the Bears to get a life... Bunch of Snowflakes!

42 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Yes it is. If the guy shows up once a year in a Packers jersey,  I don’t really see an issue. He should buy the single game ticket on the open market, and be done with it. When you are a season ticket holder, you become part of a neighborhood, of sorts. Seasons that I have held in the past had frequent ‘guest appearances’ , next to me, and it was annoying, to say the least. 

If I sell one of my tickets, it is to Bills fans only. Otherwise the seat will remain empty

Thanks for the reply commrade.  The NFL politburro will be calling with a brief 10 minute survey.  They thank You for Your time.

LoL...

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, I don't know how easy it is to accomplish in Chicago, but apparently he wants a block of 5 seats.  Could he get those on the open market?  Dunno.  Certainly not likely if everyone held the viewpoint you explain above.

[Apparently it's not wearing his Packers jersey in the stands that's the lawsuit issue, it's wanting to wear it into a special sideline access perk for season ticket holders, which I think is an extra layer of up-yours-dom.]

Which doesn't matter.  He still bought the ticket.  This isn't a private club for Bear fans only. He comes twice a year for Packers games.  He's a Bears Season Tix holder that's a Packer fan.

Hope this judge throws this out.

Welcome to the New Pro game.  Leagues want the big $$$$$ now put on Big Boy pants and stop being butt hurt Snowflakes.

Like I said, Sabres do this, place would look like Maple Leaf Gardens.  LoL...

On 12/6/2018 at 11:23 AM, RyanC883 said:

This fan sounds like a moron.  He can't wear opposing teams apparel on the sideline.  He can wear it during the game.  Is it a dumb rule: Yes.  Is it worth filing a federal lawsuit over: No.   Sounds like he has a case of victimitis. 

Write to the newspaper and make the Bears look bad if you want, but this guy comes off looking like a clown for filing a federal lawsuit over not being able to wear packers gear during a bears game.  And why does he have Bears season tix if he's such a huge Packers fan?   Shouldn't he be watching Packers games?

It's explained if you read. 

On 12/8/2018 at 2:33 PM, BUFFALOBART said:

This guy obviously has money... Per the article, he's a season ticket holder in Chicago AND Green Bay. I don't think he's just out looking for a buck. The article also states he's not looking for any monetary damages. Just the right to be able to wear whatever jersey he wants to wear. Reading the article helps.......

"In his suit, Beckman seeks to be allowed to wear his Packers gear to the Bears-Packers pre-game event for season ticket holders. He is asking to recoup his legal fees but has not requested punitive or compensatory damages."

• Like (+1) 1