Where are you on the spectrum??

Dadonkadonk

I keep hearing about this "Allen is a bust" crowd, but I have no idea who/where they are. I'd say 75% of fans are cautiously optimistic, while 25% are certain he's the next Kelly. I read almost nothing on here, or hear nothing from local radio about Allen being a bust or the wrong pick

18 minutes ago, PIZ said:

I don't know where I am on the spectrum, but I haven't been this excited to watch a Bills game in a long time.....and they are no where close to the playoffs.  Allen has brought excitement back to this team and gives us hope that he is a franchise QB.  He is making plays that I didn't think I'd ever see from a Bills QB and it is exciting.  

this.  exactly this.  too small of a sample size but hes trending up

31 minutes ago, stuvian said:

People compare him to Cam Newton but Cam Newton broke Peyton Manning's rookie passing records. I'll say Allen is Joe Flacco or Matt Ryan with wheels

Matt Ryan with wheels is a multi MVP perennial All-Pro lol. Joe Flacco I can buy.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I keep hearing about this "Allen is a bust" crowd, but I have no idea who/where they are. I'd say 75% of fans are cautiously optimistic, while 25% are certain he's the next Kelly. I read almost nothing on here, or hear nothing from local radio about Allen being a bust or the wrong pick

Yeah, this. Maybe a few trolls and nuts but it's a rare point of view, as it should be.

Me, I'm somewhere between mildly and fairly optimistic. He's got a long way to go, a long way, but he's headed in the right direction with some momentum.

Edited by Thurman#1

2 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Are you sure the posts you were reading were on this board?

I'm optimistic about the future with Josh Allen.  At this point, I suspect he'll be at least Eli Manning level (Super Bowls aside), but probably not quite Peyton Manning level.  I don't think Josh will be able to do it all himself, he'll need a supporting cast.

He seems to be a QB that will have to have an offense built to his strengths.

I try to keep in mind that the game is still moving too fast for him but not as fast as it seemed before his elbow injury.

I am absolutely encouraged by the way he lets it rip when he sees an opening. After watching JP, TE, EJ and TT this is a godsend.

Considering how many catchable balls that have been dropped on him I think he a better instinctive passer than his stats show.

I’m in the optimistic aisle pushing a huge cart of “ I been burned too many times to trust anyone” .

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, SDS said:

Impossible to compare answers because there is no standard metric from person to person. 

I think he’s going to be good enough to cause us tremendous heartache when he is close but not quite good enough. 

Mildy pessimistic. 

This is basically where I'm at OP. I see him as a Favre clone at best or a super nerfed Favre with wheels at worst. Either way if we're lucky he's going to really tick us off many a divisional rounds.

59 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Wow the spectrum of posts on this board just regarding Allen is astonishing.  From bust to MVP/All-time great.

For me I'm a moderate optimist with most things Bills. I like to hash out the pros/cons of moves and decisions. But mostly I feel I'm relatively well grounded in my posts with a slight leaning to a rosey outlook.

Where do you fall ?

1 BUST 10 alltime grat……….optimistic because of his winning attitude,great athleticism,improvements this year......6.7

43 minutes ago, MichFan said:

He is the only viable weapon we have on offense this year, and he is just a rookie. I’m definitely optimistic and can’t wait to see him when the Bills have an NFL offensive line and receivers.

Shady is a viable weapon when he doesn’t have a terrible C, RG and RT blocking for him.

To answer the OP.  I am extremely optimistic that I will have an very exciting QB that I enjoy watching for at least the next 4 years.

i love this kid and I didn’t love this kid when we drafted him.  He’s just so fun to watch.....behind a terrible OL with terrible WRs and TEs.  With a solid supporting cast, the sky is the limit as long as he can stay healthy. 

Passionately optimistic 

Edited by NewEra

More optimistic than I've ever been but still skeptical until he can demonstrate consistency regarding accuracy and "ball distribution."?

He's much more talented than I thought and the things he CAN do may separate him from guys with similar issues who all failed.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'll go on record and say at the time of the pick I was not happy.  I remember even commenting on his pro day that the clips they gave looked more like a lowlight reel than a highlight reel.

That being said, I am actually excited when he is playing because he has a way of making things happen.  He's had his share of boneheaded plays for sure but I feel like he has shown a lot of improvement since his injury and look forward to what he can become.

Quarterbacks that turn out to be great have to have extraordinary talent, ability to learn/process information superfast under pressure, excellent coaching, solid surrounding casts, and luck.

Josh has one of those things now.

He does have a ton going for him and I'm optimistic that he has a real chance.

Complete objectivity, he has shown me a good rookie. He has shown me something to be hopeful, and enough I'm not thinking about a high qb in this draft. He has shown that he is a project but competent and capable. His running will be take  away the more tape there is. But I think, if nothing else, that pass to Clay shows he does something Tyrod never truly did. He kept his eyes down field and went through his reads when the bbn play broke down.i think we have what we need at qb for now and if he progresses we have a competent to franchise guy.

Where does that put me?

• Like (+1) 2

In the pre-season I compared Allen's college stats, physical ability and IQ to Brett Favre and got destroyed for it.

I tried to explain that every 20-25 yrs a guy comes along that breaks standard stats. I showed that Brett Favre was the last guy to do it, and also argued Josh Allen has all the traits to do it again.

After Minnesota, Jacksonville and Miami I stand by it.

Josh Allen is in many ways Brett Favre.

He will escape pressure that amazes you, he will have the arm to score anywhere on the field, he will make bone headed throws that will boggle the mind.

They are both competitors and will never feel out of a game.

Brett Favre was a great QB at times and a total mess at others. He was imperfect, but could win a Super Bowl.

He was able to elevate his teams at times, was always positive and had an 'Awe shucks' personality that his team loved.

Brett Favre was never considered a running threat, but could evade pressure like a slick cat covered in motor oil, and had an arm that could make you pay anywhere on the field.

This is Josh Allen. And I stand by my original prognosis.

But I would like to add

Josh Allen is a better scrambler than Brett Favre

Josh Allen is a better athlete than Brett Favre

Josh Allen has a bigger arm than Brett Favre

We have a baby Favre.

Develop him. Give him weapons to maximize his strengths, and enjoy the roller coaster ride.

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1