Cut Charles Clay RIGHT ***** NOW (and then hang up)

3 hours ago, Flip Johnson said:

Clay is not sauntering around like KB - there's no message being sent by cutting him now.

His body has broken down and he isn't an effective player. But it isn't his fault he signed that contract - it's Doug Whaley's fault. We all know that the Bills will cut him loose in the offseason, but there is no reason not to let him finish the year.

Yeah. And I'd argue he's really not a horrible tight end. Certainly a top 32 TE looking at some other teams around the league. Just couldn't make a play a lot of TE's can't do either.. he's also simply overpaid, that ain't his fault at all. he still puts in effort. Wouldn't claim otherwise.

He ain't Peterman useless is what I'm trying to say. Wondering how sorry we'll feel for Clay when he's cut lol, not feeling the love here we had for ole Pete

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

3 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

The next play Clay makes will be the first.  Dude is stealing his money.

Clay had a great catch in 2016 in a comeback game against the Dolphins.

His first three years with the Bills were almost exactly the same as his prior production with Miami. The strange thing about Clay is that Bills fans acted like we signed Jimmy Graham in his prime and have perpetually been angry that Clay underperforms and Tyrod can't throw over the middle. It's not his fault that Whaley overpaid for him.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

He put in the full effort, and made a mistake. Benjamin was most likely cut for his lack of work ethic. 

can't have Benjamin's 'work ethic' around with a rebuild.

I do like that this regime cuts low effort guys. Dareus cut mid season last year, Benjamin (with ties to Carolina) cut 75% of the way through this year.

To address MD they went FA (Star L), rookie (H Phillips) and a waiver wire claim (Jordan Phillips). DT fixed.

I expect the same effort next year with WR.

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Like (+1) 1

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

You guys are way out of control with this Charles Clay hatred.

He's a serviceable, overpaid tight end who appears to work hard. Until we find an upgrade, there is no reason to up and cut him because you're made about one play.

He's used to be pretty good, much better than serviceable, but it has been a steep decline over the last year or two.  At this point I don' t know how serviceable he is.  After we cut him I thinks it questionable whether he'll be on a roster passed training camp.

3 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

You guys are way out of control with this Charles Clay hatred.

He's a serviceable, overpaid tight end who appears to work hard. Until we find an upgrade, there is no reason to up and cut him because you're made about one play.

For $9 Mil a year, I could "appear" to work hard as well..

I thought this game was about results, not appearances..

They aren't cutting him this year thanks to his stupid contract agreed by the previous management, but he has as much chance of being on the team in 2019 as Vontae Davis...

8 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

He hasn't been incredibly terrible, esp considering his knees/  Little known fat, he he is the only bill TE to ever have three consecutive 500+ yards receiving.

More useless stats please....

9 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

The next play Clay makes will be the first.  Dude is stealing his money.

Back when Tyrod was QB, Clay was consistently open over the middle and deep but Tyrod didn't often go there.

Now they've got a guy who can go there and Clay doesn't seem to have the same speed anymore. It's a shame.

9 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Never liked Clay. He does not impress as a pass catcher, and I cannot remember a time when he ever did......

You don't remember that Dolphins game he tore them up?

But really, when you have the likes of Josh Allen, Tyrod Taylor, EJ Manuel, Nathan Peterman & Matt Barkley passing to you, can you really blame him? 

Tyrod kept us at the 30th-32nd ranked passing offense consistently, Allen flip flops between throwing darts and throwing short wobblers, Peterman throws to the other team more than us, and the others are just happy to be on a roster if they can! 

Expecting anyone to standout in this mess is ridiculous & unfair. WR's that come here from other teams have their worst seasons in Buffalo. Outside of Watkins, WR's that leave here have their best seasons. It's not coincidence! In a league where teams put up record amounts of points, 300 passing yards in a game doesn't even get noticed, and the rules are set to favor offenses, protect the QB, and encourage passing, the Bills find it a success if we hit 150 yards.... 

Clay is not a problem, or even close to one of our biggest worries. We need about 4 better WR's before we need a better starting TE. We need about 3-4 new O-linemen before we need a better starting TE. If Allen plays like this next year, we'll need a new QB before we need a new TE. 

Point being, Clay is the least of our worries.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Back when Tyrod was QB, Clay was consistently open over the middle and deep but Tyrod didn't often go there.

Now they've got a guy who can go there and Clay doesn't seem to have the same speed anymore. It's a shame.

Clay has been open quite often when he's been playing. Our rotating group of underwhelming - awful QB's is what's killing this team. 

1. A raw, extremely inaccurate, not able to read a defense rookie with a cannon for an arm

2. A 2nd year, 5th round pick who got yanked around to the point where he was never going to recover from the INT's he was throwing
3. A 78 year old veteran we got in an "oh s***, we f***** up" moment, who hadn't started since Nixon was in office.
4. A guy playing with some children in a park that was called up and asked "you played for USC at some point right? cool, you got the job!" 

Yes, that's a recipe for success! But don't forget our rookie holds onto the ball longer than any QB in the league (fact), our 5th round pick had a worse passer rating than had he just spiked the ball every play of the game (true fact), the veteran should've been there in the offseason, but then was asked to NOW train our underdeveloped rookie, and the park guy had the best game of any QB on our team this year!

Don't forget, the O-line sucks, has given up a ton of sacks, and commits something like a trillion penalties a game! Yay for success! But man, let's get after Clay!

When our current starter averages 12 completions a game, and averages 150 yards passing, what would you want to see from Clay? 2 catches for 25 yards a game, with a TD once every 5 games? I mean, in half the games Allen's played he hasn't even thrown a TD pass, and he only had his first multi-TD pass game last week, so it's not like Clay can be held responsible for that too, so I don't get what stats people expect from him?

Keep in mind our TOP recieiver averages 38 yards a game ? So if you expect much better, might as well cut everyone.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Clay has been open quite often when he's been playing. Our rotating group of underwhelming - awful QB's is what's killing this team. 

1. A raw, extremely inaccurate, not able to read a defense rookie with a cannon for an arm

2. A 2nd year, 5th round pick who got yanked around to the point where he was never going to recover from the INT's he was throwing
3. A 78 year old veteran we got in an "oh s***, we f***** up" moment, who hadn't started since Nixon was in office.
4. A guy playing with some children in a park that was called up and asked "you played for USC at some point right? cool, you got the job!" 

Yes, that's a recipe for success! But don't forget our rookie holds onto the ball longer than any QB in the league (fact), our 5th round pick had a worse passer rating than had he just spiked the ball every play of the game (true fact), the veteran should've been there in the offseason, but then was asked to NOW train our underdeveloped rookie, and the park guy had the best game of any QB on our team this year!

Don't forget, the O-line sucks, has given up a ton of sacks, and commits something like a trillion penalties a game! Yay for success! But man, let's get after Clay!

When our current starter averages 12 completions a game, and averages 150 yards passing, what would you want to see from Clay? 2 catches for 25 yards a game, with a TD once every 5 games? I mean, in half the games Allen's played he hasn't even thrown a TD pass, and he only had his first multi-TD pass game last week, so it's not like Clay can be held responsible for that too, so I don't get what stats people expect from him?

Keep in mind our TOP recieiver averages 38 yards a game ? So if you expect much better, might as well cut everyone.

Sure, the QBs get their share of the blame. But so do the recievers.

And the "fact" that our rookie holds onto the ball longer than any QB in the league has zero relevance to this discussion. Same with Peterman's QB rating. Peterman threw plenty of good passes too, and a couple of the INTs Peterman threw were on the receivers, passes that should've been caught but were instead tapped up in the air for defensive tip drill practice.

You're right that the OL has also had problems. No question. And that Zay averages 38 yards a game, but that has come up a ton lately as his light has come on, and plenty of those low figures goes to the receivers also.

And you're right that Tyrod was the major factor in Clay's lack of productivity back then. I watched a ton of All-22 and Clay seemed to be open every play he went out, and yet was thrown to only rarely.

Where are all the plays where Clay is open and not getting thrown to or getting throw to poorly? I ask that hoping you'll answer me. I haven't watched all the All-22 stuff this year, not even most of it. Give me some plays to go look at. I have Game Pass, I'll gladly go look at any plays you point out though. 29 is young to slow up.

I have always liked Clay. I think he was overpaid but a good player. If he has been good this year, I'd love to know about it. What plays should I look at?

3 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

........except, that he lost the game for us.

Since you are so down on the Allen, go follow the friggin' patriots.

There was plenty of blame to go around and certainly Allen's throw on the play comes in for some serious blame. Nobody was within twenty yards and he underthrew him drastically. Clay alone absolutely did NOT lose the game for us.

Edited by Thurman#1

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

There was plenty of blame to go around and certainly Allen's throw on the play comes in for some serious blame. Nobody was within twenty yards and he underthrew him drastically. Clay alone absolutely did NOT lose the game for us.

Next time the center fielder runs up and drops the ball I’m sure he’ll be able to blame the batter for not hitting the ball right at him. 

• Haha (+1) 1