Sign in to follow this  
hondo in seattle

Can Money Buy the Bills a Spot in the 2019 Playoffs?

Shaq Mason RG from the Pats and Daryl Williams the RT from Carolina.

Those dudes will need big money and I think we're going to target both of them.  Draft Tyler Biadasz Wisconsin, best center in the country (Stanford has a very good center also, wonder what Harry would think about him)

Now you've got a frickin Oline baby.   I say Foster, Zay and McKenzie can be your starting three WR's if they keep developing chemistry with Josh.  They all get separation and they seem to all be doing well with ball skills which wasn't really a strong point for any of them in the past.  Burn some picks on TE, RB and best player available everywhere else.

1 hour ago, buffalobillswin said:

Smart money can. Don't overpay for "top" free agents and don't sign free agents on the wrong side of 30

Your going to have to overpay to get any decent WR here.

Sometimes overpaying is necessary. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Then I wouldn't sign one in free agency but rather acquire through the draft or trades. 

I have no desire to overpay for the likes of Randall Cobb or Golden Tate, who seem to be the top available WRs next year. 

2 minutes ago, buffalobillswin said:

Then I wouldn't sign one in free agency but rather acquire through the draft or trades. 

I have no desire to overpay for the likes of Randall Cobb or Golden Tate, who seem to be the top available WRs next year. 

I agree a trade is more ideal.

That will require both money and draft picks. 

30 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

getting their agent to call back on the phone would be a major first step

1 hour ago, Jobot said:

I think its safe to assume some of the $80mil will go to support the offense next year.  Regardless, if the season started over today, this team looks playoff ready.

You live in another dimension my man!

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

9 of the 15 teams in the top five in spending went to the playoffs.  In contrast, only 1 team in the bottom five in spending made it to the playoffs - the 2017 Buffalo Bills.  

I knew there was collusion in the NFL.  How else could 15 teams be in the top five in spending?  And 9 of them made the playoffs.  If I did my math right, that means if we spend in the top 5 we will have a 180% chance of making the playoffs. 9/5.  I say let's go ahead and do it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wo-Bah said:

Money can buy you the talent.  Whether or not that talent wants to show up and produce, that, my friend, is another situation.

We have to try handing out contracts to players who don't just take the money and disappear. This team can no longer absorb players like Mario, Marcel, Charles or Kelvin.  It's sometimes not easy finding character players who take pride in their performance.  The new NFL is all about "show me the money"......

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Huh?

In '06, he played with a top 5 offense (#1 scoring) and top 10 D. Finished 1st in Div.

In '07, his O was #5 in points scored and his D #5 in points allowed.  Finished 1st in the Dive. 

Between '06-'09, they were 1st every year.

In '10, he had the #1 O and #1 D.

'14 they lost 3 of their last 4 games to miss the playoffs

'16 they lost 7 of their last 9 games.

Last year, top 4 O, 15th D.  Lost 6 of their first 9 games.  No playoffs.

He has played with LT, Gates, Jackson, now Gordon at RB

Face it, in the playoffs, he's a choker.   4-5 record.  Hasn't played a playoff game in 5 years.  9 games, 11 TDS, 9 INTs.   85 rating.

If that’s your takeaway from Phil Rivers career then you obviously haven’t watched him.

He will probably be a hall of famer one day.

Just cause he had high ranked defences in the regular season, that means absolutely nothing in the playoffs.

He has always got screwed over by bad coaching or poor special teams play, or bad defence in critical times, and sure he could have been better himself at times. Like all QBs...

2 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

Ya I would say Phil Rivers is one. He has had a borderline hall of fame career of course, but not much success in terms of W-L/playoffs because his team around him could never take it to the next level.

Yeah, the poor guy had to make due with LaDainian Tomlinson, Antonio Gates, and a bunch of other schmucks like that.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

You live in another dimension my man!

Haha idk...This is a totally different team with Allen's scrambling ability.  The defense is pretty much already there... they're just going to get better going forward.  They're gonna finish the next 4 games at 3-1 likely.  Playoffs next year seem very realistic especially when adding some talent on the offense.

2 hours ago, buffalobillswin said:

Smart money can. Don't overpay for "top" free agents and don't sign free agents on the wrong side of 30

Pretty much the Rams are doing just that, and may go to a Superbowl because of it.

20 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Oh, l thought this was about bribing our way into the playoffs, my bad :D

you kinnit do tha

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Money spent wisely - Yes

Money spent foolishly - No.

BILLS 2019 CAP TOTALS

Maximum Salary Cap: $196,140,253
Active Contracts: $101,378,106
Dead Cap: $2,997,523
Total Cap: $104,375,629
Est. Cap Space: $91,764,624

Active Players  - 34 .  There are 19 open spots to fill in 2019.  

Such a stark difference from 2018 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2019/

After they release Clay, Ducasse, and Ivory, it'll be $100 million, so 31. One active is a second punter, so 30.  They will give offer sheets to all of their ERFA, 7 I think, so back to 37.

Of their own UFAs, they'll probably try to sign Phillips and Barkley.  Others they may bring back if the price is right: Groy, Mills, Miller, Thomas; if Zo or Kyle want back, I'm sure they would do it at the right price as well. 

All in all, I think they'll have between 40-45 players on the roster (and down to maybe $80 mil) when they are ready to go after other UFAs...

Edited by TPS

1 hour ago, eball said:

Yeah, the poor guy had to make due with LaDainian Tomlinson, Antonio Gates, and a bunch of other schmucks like that.

Team game I was referring too. If you’re talking strictly offence then for the most part yes he always had some playmakers. seemed to never have much of an o line though.

34 minutes ago, TPS said:

After they release Clay, Ducasse, and Ivory, it'll be $100 million, so 31. One active is a second punter, so 30.  They will give offer sheets to all of their ERFA, 7 I think, so back to 37.

Of their own UFAs, they'll probably try to sign Phillips and Barkley.  Others they may bring back if the price is right: Groy, Mills, Miller, Thomas; if Zo or Kyle want back, I'm sure they would do it at the right price as well. 

All in all, I think they'll have between 40-45 players on the roster (and down to maybe $80 mil) when they are ready to go after other UFAs...

$80 Mil a dozen players ......  averages to  $6,666,666 per contract 

obviously some higher and some lower.   

Does money alone get the Bills to the playoffs? Not alone

What DOES get them into the playoffs is Money to improve the ROSTER + Jets and Dolphins not getting much better + Pats without Brady and Gronk (or a much older/worse Brady and Gronk next year)  = good shot at division title

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Pretty much the Rams are doing just that, and may go to a Superbowl because of it.

You couldn't be more wrong as to why the Rams are going to the Superbowl but ok

2 hours ago, eball said:

Tomlinson pupped out of every close playoff game

just went and sat on the bench to watch the second half each time

no medical attention was required

image.png.038771cfdbf509c61b9862f276560dbf.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

If that’s your takeaway from Phil Rivers career then you obviously haven’t watched him.

He will probably be a hall of famer one day.

Just cause he had high ranked defences in the regular season, that means absolutely nothing in the playoffs.

He has always got screwed over by bad coaching or poor special teams play, or bad defence in critical times, and sure he could have been better himself at times. Like all QBs...

That's the takeaway, yes.  And we've all watched him.

You falsely claimed he was saddled with sub par players who could not put the team over the edge.  It's been demonstrated that that isn't true, nor is your claim that he "always" got screwed over by bad coaching and ST.

204 games, 115-89 record.  25 come from behind wins in 13 years.  1 more than Tony Romo and 2 more than Jay Cutler. 4 fewer than Vinny Testaverde (over 214 starts on 7 different teams!).

He's the Matt Ryan of the AFC....minus the SB appearance.

MARK SANCHEZ has a better playoff record (and nearly as many TDs in 3 fewer games, and a better TD/int ratio, and rating...and he was coached by Rex)!!

Foster isn’t to bad and either is Zay.  Just saying add someone like Sam Mustipher to the open center debate.  Give Josh some time to operate down the field.  

Spending massively while you have a QB on a rookie contract is the best way to take advantage of a under market value QB and puts the QB in the best position to have success and develop. The Rams added Wintworth to the O-line, and Sammy, Woods, and Kupp to the receiving core all in one off-season. The Bears added Burton, Allen Robinson, Gabrielle, and DJ Moore to the pass catching core all in one off-season (While adding Mack a major piece to the defense.) The Eagles added Alshon Jeffery, Blount, and traded for Jay Ajai to an already pretty stacked team to make sure that Wentz had better offensive talent around him in year two. Even the Chiefs spent on adding Sammy to help make Mahomes have a more complete WR core. 

The Bills should be aggressive this off-season. Yes the Colts, Browns, Jets, Cardinals and some other teams will have cap space and a big need to surround a QB with O-line and WR talent. So the Bills will have to over pay heavily for O-line and WR talent and certainly at least 2 out of the 3 high draft picks will have to be spent on the offensive side of the ball. But I think that in order to make Allen be successful the team needs to pay up for talent. 

22 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

That's the takeaway, yes.  And we've all watched him.

You falsely claimed he was saddled with sub par players who could not put the team over the edge.  It's been demonstrated that that isn't true, nor is your claim that he "always" got screwed over by bad coaching and ST.

204 games, 115-89 record.  25 come from behind wins in 13 years.  1 more than Tony Romo and 2 more than Jay Cutler. 4 fewer than Vinny Testaverde (over 214 starts on 7 different teams!).

He's the Matt Ryan of the AFC....minus the SB appearance.

MARK SANCHEZ has a better playoff record (and nearly as many TDs in 3 fewer games, and a better TD/int ratio, and rating...and he was coached by Rex)!!

How was my claim that he got screwed over by special teams and defence not true? He had good defences in the regular season a FEW times, and they let him down in the playoffs every time.

Sure he had playmakers for offence. But it’s not fantasy football. He never really had a good pass blocking line until this year.

I will acknowledge Rivers hasn’t played his best football in the playoffs. Most QBs don’t as the competition of course is a lot tougher.