Can Money Buy the Bills a Spot in the 2019 Playoffs?

Does money alone get the Bills to the playoffs? Not alone

What DOES get them into the playoffs is Money to improve the ROSTER + Jets and Dolphins not getting much better + Pats without Brady and Gronk (or a much older/worse Brady and Gronk next year)  = good shot at division title

2 hours ago, eball said:

Yeah, the poor guy had to make due with LaDainian Tomlinson, Antonio Gates, and a bunch of other schmucks like that.

Tomlinson pupped out of every close playoff game

just went and sat on the bench to watch the second half each time

no medical attention was required

image.png.038771cfdbf509c61b9862f276560dbf.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

If that’s your takeaway from Phil Rivers career then you obviously haven’t watched him.

He will probably be a hall of famer one day.

Just cause he had high ranked defences in the regular season, that means absolutely nothing in the playoffs.

He has always got screwed over by bad coaching or poor special teams play, or bad defence in critical times, and sure he could have been better himself at times. Like all QBs...

That's the takeaway, yes.  And we've all watched him.

You falsely claimed he was saddled with sub par players who could not put the team over the edge.  It's been demonstrated that that isn't true, nor is your claim that he "always" got screwed over by bad coaching and ST.

204 games, 115-89 record.  25 come from behind wins in 13 years.  1 more than Tony Romo and 2 more than Jay Cutler. 4 fewer than Vinny Testaverde (over 214 starts on 7 different teams!).

He's the Matt Ryan of the AFC....minus the SB appearance.

MARK SANCHEZ has a better playoff record (and nearly as many TDs in 3 fewer games, and a better TD/int ratio, and rating...and he was coached by Rex)!!

Spending massively while you have a QB on a rookie contract is the best way to take advantage of a under market value QB and puts the QB in the best position to have success and develop. The Rams added Wintworth to the O-line, and Sammy, Woods, and Kupp to the receiving core all in one off-season. The Bears added Burton, Allen Robinson, Gabrielle, and DJ Moore to the pass catching core all in one off-season (While adding Mack a major piece to the defense.) The Eagles added Alshon Jeffery, Blount, and traded for Jay Ajai to an already pretty stacked team to make sure that Wentz had better offensive talent around him in year two. Even the Chiefs spent on adding Sammy to help make Mahomes have a more complete WR core. 

The Bills should be aggressive this off-season. Yes the Colts, Browns, Jets, Cardinals and some other teams will have cap space and a big need to surround a QB with O-line and WR talent. So the Bills will have to over pay heavily for O-line and WR talent and certainly at least 2 out of the 3 high draft picks will have to be spent on the offensive side of the ball. But I think that in order to make Allen be successful the team needs to pay up for talent. 

22 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

That's the takeaway, yes.  And we've all watched him.

You falsely claimed he was saddled with sub par players who could not put the team over the edge.  It's been demonstrated that that isn't true, nor is your claim that he "always" got screwed over by bad coaching and ST.

204 games, 115-89 record.  25 come from behind wins in 13 years.  1 more than Tony Romo and 2 more than Jay Cutler. 4 fewer than Vinny Testaverde (over 214 starts on 7 different teams!).

He's the Matt Ryan of the AFC....minus the SB appearance.

MARK SANCHEZ has a better playoff record (and nearly as many TDs in 3 fewer games, and a better TD/int ratio, and rating...and he was coached by Rex)!!

How was my claim that he got screwed over by special teams and defence not true? He had good defences in the regular season a FEW times, and they let him down in the playoffs every time.

Sure he had playmakers for offence. But it’s not fantasy football. He never really had a good pass blocking line until this year.

I will acknowledge Rivers hasn’t played his best football in the playoffs. Most QBs don’t as the competition of course is a lot tougher.

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

There is a lot wrong with what you just said in terms of the amount of money suggests the quality of the roster.  

We are one of the youngest teams, if not the youngest team in the NFL.  We have a lot of players in rookie contracts, including at the QB position which is the highest paid position on teams with quality QBs in place.

I mean we have a top 3 defense, but guys playing big roles are on cheap deals like Tre and Edmunds.  Our salary isn’t indicative that we have the “least talent” as you put it, its indicative we have young players.  We are far from the least talented team, in fact this team is very talented on D and has some young players on the offense.  We add a couple new good OL and WRs and this team is a playoff team that can contend next year.

So I completely disagree with your correlation of total salary indicates talent pool level.

agree with YOUR assessment 'Dawg.....salary cap limitations were also another consideration.......I'm more interested to see what McBeane does in 2019 with FA dollars of $80-$90 mil....don't see him as a "big splash big investment" type in one guy......if I understand the carryover process, it wouldn't surprise me if he has budgeted X FA dollars for 2019 and carries over the remaining Y FA dollars to 2020......and he probably has a board already of those to be UFA's in 2019 as well as 2020......maybe even some RFA's on his radar....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

My original point was that there is a clear correlation between spending and wins - albeit an imperfect one.

This year our active roster spending is $17 million below the #31 team.  We're spending roughly $40m less than the average NFL club.  There's a vocal minority calling for McD's head and I'm not sure why.  The guy's outgunned every Sunday and never had a fighting chance to return this team to the playoffs this season.  

We have the draft capital (10 picks) and financial resources ($85 mil) to do a lot of catching up next year.  There are indeed a lot of holes to fill.  But with so much to work with, we ought to see a dramatically improved squad...  If Beane's any good at his job.

Beane's already had both hits and misses in his short career as a GM.  The pessimists will emphasize the misses and the optimists the hits.   The cautious realists are still in a wait-and-see mode because the sample size on Beane personnel decisions is still small.  

Maybe I lean to the optimistic side because I think 2019 will be a much better year.    And, peering further ahead, as things stand right now the Bills have - by a wide margin - the most available cap space in the NFL in 2020!    

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

$80 Mil a dozen players ......  averages to  $6,666,666 per contract 

obviously some higher and some lower.   

No, $80 mil is what's left after they sign the 10-12 players.  

4 hours ago, Joeziehmer said:

Foster isn’t to bad and either is Zay.  Just saying add someone like Sam Mustipher to the open center debate.  Give Josh some time to operate down the field.  

Just curious, is there anybody you’d like to see to fill our hole at center? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, uticaclub said:

I really concerned with the level of talent this regime can bring in. They have killed it in the draft but their pro scouting must be the worse in the league. I can't think of a single valuable player McBean has brought in

Agreed. They have to bring in at least one sure thing. Golden Tate with Allen would work. Tate is very solid and always performs. 

1 minute ago, Joeziehmer said:

Notre Dame fan and last season Sam didn’t allow a sack.  What do you think?

I don’t know anything about Sam, but I think he has at least one member of his Fan Club!