Can Money Buy the Bills a Spot in the 2019 Playoffs?

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

The Bills have - by far - the lowest paid roster in the NFL this year which would suggest the Bills have the least talented roster.   Not surprisingly, our W-L record is poor.

But what about next year?   With the third most available cap space in the NFL in 2019, will the Bills return to the playoffs?  

Here's what the numbers show.  Over the past 3 years (2015-2018), the teams in the top five of active cap spending finished a combined 146-93-1.

The teams in the bottom five of roster spending finished a miserable 76-164.

9 of the 15 teams in the top five in spending went to the playoffs.  In contrast, only 1 team in the bottom five in spending made it to the playoffs - the 2017 Buffalo Bills.  

In sum, money matters.  Teams tend to spend their money wisely and given enough money a GM can usually build a playoff team.  GMs without money to spend understandably fail.  

But there are clearly no guarantees.  

Money spent wisely - Yes

Money spent foolishly - No.

BILLS 2019 CAP TOTALS

Maximum Salary Cap: $196,140,253
Active Contracts: $101,378,106
Dead Cap: $2,997,523
Total Cap: $104,375,629
Est. Cap Space: $91,764,624

Active Players  - 34 .  There are 19 open spots to fill in 2019.  

Such a stark difference from 2018 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2019/

37 minutes ago, Wo-Bah said:

Money can buy you the talent.  Whether or not that talent wants to show up and produce, that, my friend, is another situation.

money lets you enter the FA market

but so will every other team that cares

1 hour ago, billsfan11 said:

Ya I would say Phil Rivers is one. He has had a borderline hall of fame career of course, but not much success in terms of W-L/playoffs because his team around him could never take it to the next level.

Huh?

In '06, he played with a top 5 offense (#1 scoring) and top 10 D. Finished 1st in Div.

In '07, his O was #5 in points scored and his D #5 in points allowed.  Finished 1st in the Dive. 

Between '06-'09, they were 1st every year.

In '10, he had the #1 O and #1 D.

'14 they lost 3 of their last 4 games to miss the playoffs

'16 they lost 7 of their last 9 games.

Last year, top 4 O, 15th D.  Lost 6 of their first 9 games.  No playoffs.

He has played with LT, Gates, Jackson, now Gordon at RB

Face it, in the playoffs, he's a choker.   4-5 record.  Hasn't played a playoff game in 5 years.  9 games, 11 TDS, 9 INTs.   85 rating.

Shaq Mason RG from the Pats and Daryl Williams the RT from Carolina.

Those dudes will need big money and I think we're going to target both of them.  Draft Tyler Biadasz Wisconsin, best center in the country (Stanford has a very good center also, wonder what Harry would think about him)

Now you've got a frickin Oline baby.   I say Foster, Zay and McKenzie can be your starting three WR's if they keep developing chemistry with Josh.  They all get separation and they seem to all be doing well with ball skills which wasn't really a strong point for any of them in the past.  Burn some picks on TE, RB and best player available everywhere else.

14 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Your going to have to overpay to get any decent WR here.

Sometimes overpaying is necessary. 

Then I wouldn't sign one in free agency but rather acquire through the draft or trades. 

I have no desire to overpay for the likes of Randall Cobb or Golden Tate, who seem to be the top available WRs next year. 

30 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Your going to have to overpay to get any decent WR here.

Sometimes overpaying is necessary. 

getting their agent to call back on the phone would be a major first step

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

9 of the 15 teams in the top five in spending went to the playoffs.  In contrast, only 1 team in the bottom five in spending made it to the playoffs - the 2017 Buffalo Bills.  

I knew there was collusion in the NFL.  How else could 15 teams be in the top five in spending?  And 9 of them made the playoffs.  If I did my math right, that means if we spend in the top 5 we will have a 180% chance of making the playoffs. 9/5.  I say let's go ahead and do it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Wo-Bah said:

Money can buy you the talent.  Whether or not that talent wants to show up and produce, that, my friend, is another situation.

We have to try handing out contracts to players who don't just take the money and disappear. This team can no longer absorb players like Mario, Marcel, Charles or Kelvin.  It's sometimes not easy finding character players who take pride in their performance.  The new NFL is all about "show me the money"......

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Huh?

In '06, he played with a top 5 offense (#1 scoring) and top 10 D. Finished 1st in Div.

In '07, his O was #5 in points scored and his D #5 in points allowed.  Finished 1st in the Dive. 

Between '06-'09, they were 1st every year.

In '10, he had the #1 O and #1 D.

'14 they lost 3 of their last 4 games to miss the playoffs

'16 they lost 7 of their last 9 games.

Last year, top 4 O, 15th D.  Lost 6 of their first 9 games.  No playoffs.

He has played with LT, Gates, Jackson, now Gordon at RB

Face it, in the playoffs, he's a choker.   4-5 record.  Hasn't played a playoff game in 5 years.  9 games, 11 TDS, 9 INTs.   85 rating.

If that’s your takeaway from Phil Rivers career then you obviously haven’t watched him.

He will probably be a hall of famer one day.

Just cause he had high ranked defences in the regular season, that means absolutely nothing in the playoffs.

He has always got screwed over by bad coaching or poor special teams play, or bad defence in critical times, and sure he could have been better himself at times. Like all QBs...

2 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

Ya I would say Phil Rivers is one. He has had a borderline hall of fame career of course, but not much success in terms of W-L/playoffs because his team around him could never take it to the next level.

Yeah, the poor guy had to make due with LaDainian Tomlinson, Antonio Gates, and a bunch of other schmucks like that.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

You live in another dimension my man!

Haha idk...This is a totally different team with Allen's scrambling ability.  The defense is pretty much already there... they're just going to get better going forward.  They're gonna finish the next 4 games at 3-1 likely.  Playoffs next year seem very realistic especially when adding some talent on the offense.

2 hours ago, buffalobillswin said:

Smart money can. Don't overpay for "top" free agents and don't sign free agents on the wrong side of 30

Pretty much the Rams are doing just that, and may go to a Superbowl because of it.

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Money spent wisely - Yes

Money spent foolishly - No.

BILLS 2019 CAP TOTALS

Maximum Salary Cap: $196,140,253
Active Contracts: $101,378,106
Dead Cap: $2,997,523
Total Cap: $104,375,629
Est. Cap Space: $91,764,624

Active Players  - 34 .  There are 19 open spots to fill in 2019.  

Such a stark difference from 2018 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2019/

After they release Clay, Ducasse, and Ivory, it'll be $100 million, so 31. One active is a second punter, so 30.  They will give offer sheets to all of their ERFA, 7 I think, so back to 37.

Of their own UFAs, they'll probably try to sign Phillips and Barkley.  Others they may bring back if the price is right: Groy, Mills, Miller, Thomas; if Zo or Kyle want back, I'm sure they would do it at the right price as well. 

All in all, I think they'll have between 40-45 players on the roster (and down to maybe $80 mil) when they are ready to go after other UFAs...

Edited by TPS

1 hour ago, eball said:

Yeah, the poor guy had to make due with LaDainian Tomlinson, Antonio Gates, and a bunch of other schmucks like that.

Team game I was referring too. If you’re talking strictly offence then for the most part yes he always had some playmakers. seemed to never have much of an o line though.

34 minutes ago, TPS said:

After they release Clay, Ducasse, and Ivory, it'll be $100 million, so 31. One active is a second punter, so 30.  They will give offer sheets to all of their ERFA, 7 I think, so back to 37.

Of their own UFAs, they'll probably try to sign Phillips and Barkley.  Others they may bring back if the price is right: Groy, Mills, Miller, Thomas; if Zo or Kyle want back, I'm sure they would do it at the right price as well. 

All in all, I think they'll have between 40-45 players on the roster (and down to maybe $80 mil) when they are ready to go after other UFAs...

$80 Mil a dozen players ......  averages to  $6,666,666 per contract 

obviously some higher and some lower.