Can Money Buy the Bills a Spot in the 2019 Playoffs?

The Bills have - by far - the lowest paid roster in the NFL this year which would suggest the Bills have the least talented roster.   Not surprisingly, our W-L record is poor.

But what about next year?   With the third most available cap space in the NFL in 2019, will the Bills return to the playoffs?  

Here's what the numbers show.  Over the past 3 years (2015-2018), the teams in the top five of active cap spending finished a combined 146-93-1.

The teams in the bottom five of roster spending finished a miserable 76-164.

9 of the 15 teams in the top five in spending went to the playoffs.  In contrast, only 1 team in the bottom five in spending made it to the playoffs - the 2017 Buffalo Bills.  

In sum, money matters.  Teams tend to spend their money wisely and given enough money a GM can usually build a playoff team.  GMs without money to spend understandably fail.  

But there are clearly no guarantees.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

The Bills have - by far - the lowest paid roster in the NFL this year which would suggest the Bills have the least talented roster.   Not surprisingly, our W-L record is poor.

But what about next year?   With the third most available cap space in the NFL in 2019, will the Bills return to the playoffs?  

Here's what the numbers show.  Over the past 3 years (2015-2018), the teams in the top five of active cap spending finished a combined 146-93-1.

9 of the 15 teams in the top five in spending went to the playoffs.  In contrast, only 1 team in the bottom five in spending made it to the playoffs - the 2017 Buffalo Bills.  

In sum, money matters.  Teams tend to spend their money wisely and given enough money a GM can usually build a playoff team.  GMs without money to spend understandably fail.  

There are definitely no guarantees... but we have a lot going for us - The same coaching staff that was the only one of the "bottom fives'' to make the playoffs... 

And Josh Allen.

Money alone? No. There are lots a teams that max out the salary cap but under-perform. (I’m looking at you Jaguars)

that being said, we have a solid core of young talent on this team and the addition a the right free agents, along with another solid draft, can and hopefully will, build the foundation of a team built to make a solid run at the playoffs and beyond for the next several years.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

some careers are heartbreakers by a great just not getting a supporting cast to match his talent....

Ya I would say Phil Rivers is one. He has had a borderline hall of fame career of course, but not much success in terms of W-L/playoffs because his team around him could never take it to the next level. 

(Got called out a few times on this post So to make it clear, I am referring to his overall team including defence, offensive line, special teams and coaching. Not just playmakers he had as he has had great players to throw to.)

Edited by billsfan11

20 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Probably the teams in the top five have a very expensive QB more often than not.  I would say that may be the biggest variable because that QB is expensive for a reason.  I do agree that if the money is spent wisely it can make a difference but you have to hit on some draft picks every year as well.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

12 minutes ago, row_33 said:

some careers are heartbreakers by a great just not getting a supporting cast to match his talent....

I think its safe to assume some of the $80mil will go to support the offense next year.  Regardless, if the season started over today, this team looks playoff ready.

26 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Ya I would say Phil Rivers is one. He has had a borderline hall of fame career of course, but not much success in terms of W-L/playoffs because his team around him could never take it to the next level.

Archie Manning

Jeff George kept going to teams that incredibly had the worst coach at the time

Namath spend most of his career on horrible teams

• Like (+1) 1

It's not just about 2019 though.  It's about setting this team up for continued success in 2019 and beyond.  They can't just go on a shopping spree and sign a bunch of bad contracts so we can compete in 2019.  Still have to continue to spend judiciously if you're aiming to set yourself up for years to come.  

• Like (+1) 1

I really concerned with the level of talent this regime can bring in. They have killed it in the draft but their pro scouting must be the worse in the league. I can't think of a single valuable player McBean has brought in

39 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I think the team will be active in free agency, but i don't think they'll spend that full 90 million, you can carry it over to next years cap and how much new money you add can affect extensions in the future.

41 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

There is a lot wrong with what you just said in terms of the amount of money suggests the quality of the roster.  

We are one of the youngest teams, if not the youngest team in the NFL.  We have a lot of players in rookie contracts, including at the QB position which is the highest paid position on teams with quality QBs in place.

I mean we have a top 3 defense, but guys playing big roles are on cheap deals like Tre and Edmunds.  Our salary isn’t indicative that we have the “least talent” as you put it, its indicative we have young players.  We are far from the least talented team, in fact this team is very talented on D and has some young players on the offense.  We add a couple new good OL and WRs and this team is a playoff team that can contend next year.

So I completely disagree with your correlation of total salary indicates talent pool level.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

In other words. Money can by buying talent. 

Money can buy you the talent.  Whether or not that talent wants to show up and produce, that, my friend, is another situation.

• Like (+1) 2