Careful With Those DNA Tests!

Tiberius

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I’m a Viking and polack!

Same here.  I have a feeling most with Polish ancestors get this result.   The first report they sent said I had some native american connection but later reports seems to have lost that info.  It was very very very small.

45 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Same here.  I have a feeling most with Polish ancestors get this result.   The first report they sent said I had some native american connection but later reports seems to have lost that info.  It was very very very small.

I think Dan Marino and Joe Montana were both Italian and Polish. Those immigrant groups came over about the same time. A lot of Germans and Irish mixed as well. 

13 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I think Dan Marino and Joe Montana were both Italian and Polish. Those immigrant groups came over about the same time. A lot of Germans and Irish mixed as well. 

Now I find out I should have been a quarterback.?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I’m a Viking and polack!

It's not a far stretch across the Baltic to Scandinavia.

Names ending in -ski I believe are from Southern Poland, near the Carpathian Mountains.

My mother is a -ski.  My father's father lineage and my last name, Pomeranian (German and Polish)... Which doesn't end in a -ski. Father's mother now, last name ended in -ski.

5 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Both my grandparents moved to the US from Sicily in the early 1900's

Parents were born in the 20's.

I think its safe to say I'm solidly a Sicilian 

Your grandparents might have moved from Sicily but given the sheer number of times Sicily has been conquered and held by different groups along with it's positioning along so many major trade routes I think it's extremely that your DNA is a very interesting mishmash.

Mine is similar.  My great grandparents were from Cornwall, Norway, and Poland.  Given that Vikings went all over Gods green Earth and Slavic peoples are subject to influences from all over the place, and the Cornish were conquered multiple times as well including by the Romans it's REALLY unlikely that my DNA will pop up as purely Northern European.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

It's not a far stretch across the Baltic to Scandinavia.

Names ending in -ski I believe are from Southern Poland, near the Carpathian Mountains.

My mother is a -ski.  My father's father lineage and my last name, Pomeranian (German and Polish)... Which doesn't end in a -ski. Father's mother now, last name ended in -ski.

Your last name is Pomeranian?  Like the dog?

9 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Your grandparents might have moved from Sicily but given the sheer number of times Sicily has been conquered and held by different groups along with it's positioning along so many major trade routes I think it's extremely that your DNA is a very interesting mishmash.

Mine is similar.  My great grandparents were from Cornwall, Norway, and Poland.  Given that Vikings went all over Gods green Earth and Slavic peoples are subject to influences from all over the place, and the Cornish were conquered multiple times as well including by the Romans it's REALLY unlikely that my DNA will pop up as purely Northern European.

Yep, even though my father's family considers themselves mostly German they have the eyes I tend to associate with Scandanavians.  Also, my understanding is that the peoples of Central Northern Europe invited the Northerners down to help repopulate after the Black Plague.

4 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Yep, even though my father's family considers themselves mostly German they have the eyes I tend to associate with Scandanavians.  Also, my understanding is that the peoples of Central Northern Europe invited the Northerners down to help repopulate after the Black Plague.

I don't think they were invited.  Or were You being sarcastic? I'm

http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/text/word_viking.htm

"The runic inscriptions suggest that a viking was a man who left his homeland for adventure and profit abroad, with the implication that he planned to return home with his newly won fortune and fame. The word existed in both a noun form (víkingr, the person traveling for adventure) and a verb form (víking, to travel or participate in one of these adventures)."

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I don't think they were invited.  Or were You being sarcastic? I'm

http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/text/word_viking.htm

"The runic inscriptions suggest that a viking was a man who left his homeland for adventure and profit abroad, with the implication that he planned to return home with his newly won fortune and fame. The word existed in both a noun form (víkingr, the person traveling for adventure) and a verb form (víking, to travel or participate in one of these adventures)."

I understand what you are saying about the Vikings but my one well educated cousin found information suggesting that peoples from some parts of Sweden were invited down into parts of Denmark and Northern Germany.  I don't know extensively the history of the Vikings so I don't know how widely spread they were in Sweden or Finland versus the "traditional" base of Norway.  I'll admit there may be a lot to be learned about the matter.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

I understand what you are saying about the Vikings but my one well educated cousin found information suggesting that peoples from some parts of Sweden were invited down into parts of Denmark and Northern Germany.  I don't know extensively the history of the Vikings so I don't know how widely spread they were in Sweden or Finland versus the "traditional" base of Norway.  I'll admit there may be a lot to be learned about the matter.

Start of the "Little Ice Age" the Southern Shores of the Baltic was like South Beach, swinging hot spot!

Damn Climate change!

21 hours ago, Tiberius said:

I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty-headed animal-food-trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries.

My father is 50/50 Irish-Swedish but has dark skin. (Spanish Armada theory?) My grandfather on my Mom's side was off the boat from Italy and had blonde hair and blue eyes.

My sister has told me that if I were take a DNA test it would come back 90% Neanderthal

• Haha (+1) 1

19 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Ethnic Germans who are Germanic and Scandinavians are pretty  much one in the same. Seeing as Scandinavians are Germanic tribes who stayed north and Ethnic Germans are are the aftermath of the migration of Germanic tribes 

my mother is fully german and it comes back Scandinavian on DNA tests because the Germanic tribes swept down from Scandinavia and into Germany proper and Poland and eventually into Italy and North Africa and Spain 

Edited by Buffalo716

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Ethnic Germans who are Germanic and Scandinavians are pretty  much one in the same. Seeing as Scandinavians are Germanic tribes who stayed north and Ethnic Germans are are the aftermath of the migration of Germanic tribes 

my mother is fully german and it comes back Scandinavian on DNA tests because the Germanic tribes swept down from Scandinavia and into Germany proper and Poland and eventually into Italy and North Africa and Spain 

My curiosity has been raised on my own origin since this thread started.  My father's family would have been out of the path of the Roman's as they swept north but probably encountered invaders from other directions including the East.  A significant amount of my mother's family is English so who knows if a Roman got a hold of one of her ancestors from England (not any Welsh that I know of).  I've read a little on the barbarian invasions that happened in Europe but I guess that it is time to read some more.

10 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

My curiosity has been raised on my own origin since this thread started.  My father's family would have been out of the path of the Roman's as they swept north but probably encountered invaders from other directions including the East.  A significant amount of my mother's family is English so who knows if a Roman got a hold of one of her ancestors from England (not any Welsh that I know of).  I've read a little on the barbarian invasions that happened in Europe but I guess that it is time to read some more.

What do you believe is your ethnicity?

i majored in history so have a good grasp of the time frame and European history