Careful With Those DNA Tests!

Tiberius

18 hours ago, Augie said:

Amen! If it means justice it’s a good thing. 

Not quite the same, but here's one local case where old DNA came in handy....

https://www.syracuse.com/crime/index.ssf/2018/04/innovative_dna_trick_pays_off_16_years_later_with_arrest_in_sex_attack_on_school.html

Retired Judge Joseph Fahey still recalls the Feb. 7, 2002 indictment that charged a DNA code with *****, attempted rape and other sex crimes. It's the only time in his career he signed a warrant for DNA.

Edited by Just Jack

On 12/7/2018 at 10:59 PM, Augie said:

For some reason, this doesn’t matter to me at all. I’m here, I am what I am, I have my family, and we all look forward more than backward. Why should I care about that kind of history? I’m not pissing on it, my wife would probably love to look into it (in fact, I think she HAS done this), but personally I just don’t get the fascination. I also prefer chocolate to vanilla, so whatever...

I find this sort of thing highly fascinating.  But I love history too.

Everyone is different.

I keep hearing ads for 23andme where they say they'll let you know if you are genetically disposed to like coffee, move in your sleep, and other things like that..............How the hell would you not know these things already?!?

15 minutes ago, bbb said:

I keep hearing ads for 23andme where they say they'll let you know if you are genetically disposed to like coffee, move in your sleep, and other things like that..............How the hell would you not know these things already?!?

No kidding! Who needs 23anndme to tell you your flaws.....if you have a wife already? 

(I kid, she’s a saint...in case my son checks the board.) 

• Haha (+1) 2

Are people really this stupid to fall for these tests?  Like they are going to tell you precisely, be 100% right with what your ancestry is?  LoL... Come on people... They take samples from identical twins, triplets, etc... And the results come back different.

Look up the story about the identical (BTW, extremly hot!) triplets from Minnesota that got three different results.

People are idiots if they think these things aren't ballparking ancestry.

/smh... I do guess they are building better algorithms and they are getting closer with more and more samples.

They get you to believe they are building a missile base to launch missiles when they are really only launching bottle rockets from the missile base.  People sure love fads and especially in today's identity world, "who's team are you on", people eat this stupid crap up.

Just take the test alone.  Don't compare it with any family... LoL...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

My wife's results outed her 93 year old Grandmother.   Wife had two first connection relations she had never heard of.   Come to find the old gal had an affair on her husband, which produced my Mother in Law.

The kicker is the guy who produced my Mother in Law has one full daughter with his wife, and about 5-6 other children from flings throughout Western New York.  Apparently he frequented bars throughout Rochester and parts of Orleans County.  Now all these kids he produced are showing up as relations on ancestry, 17 years after he died.

On 12/6/2018 at 6:38 PM, bbb said:

I don't care about any of the DNA stuff, I just want to know who my grandfather was and who I might have on that side of the family.  My father was born out of wedlock in 1923, and my grandmother never said anything about his father except "he's out of the picture!"................My father never seemed to care that much about, or was intimidated by my grandmother, but now I'd like to know.

Are there any free places to just see birth records while I'm screwing around taking breaks from work (like I am right now) or does anybody have any other ideas like that? 

Our local library has a deal with Ancestry.com and you can sign up for "Ancestry Lite" for free. It does not have ALL the features of the paid subscription but you can create a pretty comprehensive family tree. If you have a break and want to get into it more "intensely" sign up for the free trial. Also, there are a lot of free genealogist web sites.

I signed up for "Ancestry"and connected to some first cousins in the U.S. and even one ancestor in Holland who is a very serious genealogist, who can trace my maternal grandparents back to 1589. The way he puts it "we share a few molecules", since our "trees" cross in the 1700's.

My mother died when I was only seven and I lost touch with her family. Now I know that on her side I am one of 23 first cousins!

My paternal grandmother's side I trace through the Civil War and found records going back to 1760. I would really like know more about where THEY came from, probably England.. 

I do this for a hobby, and do not spend a lot of time on it, but it is interesting!

My current family is large enough (ten grandchildren) to keep me busy without worrying about my ancestors

I am sending in the DNA kit today. (Christmas gift) 

Edit: Growing up, our Christmas dinner of all immediate family was seven people. I knew I had a lot of other family members, but we were not close. I think perhaps that is why building a family tree was interesting for me. 

Edited by rockpile
additional text

This is a genius way for an organization to obtain DNA samples of a ton of people, and get paid for doing it! 

I would love to see some people take a couple of these tests, send them in and see what the results come back as. The one article talked about the twins that did it and how although they had virtually identical DNA, the results came back different.

I'm sure they get most of the info close enough but not as exact or close as you would hope or expect, or could tell through a true DNA search. It wouldnt shock me if they didnt do any DNA testing and just searched the internet to get some answers for you....

17 hours ago, rockpile said:

Our local library has a deal with Ancestry.com and you can sign up for "Ancestry Lite" for free. It does not have ALL the features of the paid subscription but you can create a pretty comprehensive family tree. If you have a break and want to get into it more "intensely" sign up for the free trial. Also, there are a lot of free genealogist web sites.

I signed up for "Ancestry"and connected to some first cousins in the U.S. and even one ancestor in Holland who is a very serious genealogist, who can trace my maternal grandparents back to 1589. The way he puts it "we share a few molecules", since our "trees" cross in the 1700's.

My mother died when I was only seven and I lost touch with her family. Now I know that on her side I am one of 23 first cousins!

My paternal grandmother's side I trace through the Civil War and found records going back to 1760. I would really like know more about where THEY came from, probably England.. 

I do this for a hobby, and do not spend a lot of time on it, but it is interesting!

My current family is large enough (ten grandchildren) to keep me busy without worrying about my ancestors

I am sending in the DNA kit today. (Christmas gift) 

Edit: Growing up, our Christmas dinner of all immediate family was seven people. I knew I had a lot of other family members, but we were not close. I think perhaps that is why building a family tree was interesting for me. 

Thanks.  Oddly enough, since nobody replied to this before, I saw a post on FB that made me realize that one of my FB friends was into this.  I asked her and so far I've joined the free site that the Mormons have.  Found my father's WWII enlistment info.  Still haven't found who his father is yet, though. 

https://www.pcmag.com/news/366293/fbi-gains-access-to-popular-home-dna-kit-database

Home DNA testing kits are now affordable and commonplace and offer to provide you with detailed information on your family ancestry or a breakdown of your genetics. It also means there's a number of private companies who now hold large databases of genetic data, and the FBI has gained access to one of the most popular.