OLine - offseason

Spielman

4 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I wouldn't split Dawkins and Teller.  I would let them continue to develop together.  

And I don't trust a NE tackle.  Brady gets rid of the ball so quickly it is difficult tell how an O-lineman would do in our offense, where the QB holds on to the ball longer than any one else in the league.  But I don't really know much about Brown, so I could be way off base. 

Our Offense is the same offense they run.  But I do agree that TB gets it out of there.

12 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I wouldn't sign Trent Brown. NE signings don't typically play well on other teams. I also think that Dawkins is not suited to play RT. Dawkins play in 2017 at RT wasn't that great, his skillset seems to be better suited for LT. As far as O-line I think you need 3 starters in general from C to RT. I think out of the three need positions I would hope the Bills target Center first and foremost in free agency. I think it would help Teller's development in 2019 and if they go with a rookie guard having a quality vet center next to Teller and a rookie RG would be very helpful to the lines development. 

Overall I think the Bills should target two high quality veteran starters along the O-line. They can go with a rookie at one of those positions but they need to put as much talent around Allen as possible and the O-line is in major need of help to be able to provide good to great pass blocking and generate a push in the ground game. 

Im all for Paradis and a Vet Tackle.  I think they let Groy, Sirles and Bodine compete for RG

4 hours ago, VirginiaMike said:

I'd like to see a 1st round pick used on an O-Lineman.  It's not a deep class so I think you need to find the jewels early - Maybe Greg Little or Johan Williams.  Of course that depends how high in the draft the Bills are.  If too hign, maybe a trade down as I thinnk both of these guys are in the 12-20 range.

Yes!

32 minutes ago, Pablocruise said:

Ducasse and Bodine will still be under contract (a couple  mil each). Bills also have several young guys returning: Dawkins, Teller, Boettger, McDermott.  I have concerns with Paradis' age (30+) and Brown's weight ( has ballooned up to 380 or so).

Bodine and Ducasse can be dumped for low amounts of dead cap hits, neither are really starting caliber players so I don't think them being under contract matters. I wouldn't mind having them compete for backup spots but if the front office thinks 2 of them should start they deserve to see the offense struggle again.

O-line players tend to play at a high level into their early 30's. The typical fall off is around 32-34 for O-line players. So I don't mind signing Pradis to a deal that is easy to get out of after one or two years. This team needs at least 2 impact starters along the O-line to make it into a top 10 unit and most of the top players on the free agent market at the O-line position will be between 29-31. 

1 hour ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Im all for Paradis and a Vet Tackle.  I think they let Groy, Sirles and Bodine compete for RG

Groy stinks (at least he does in this system) Bodine is a high end backup center and I would like to see him be off the bench. And Sirles is a bubble player who probably is best competing for a backup job. I suspect that Groy will not be resigned, I think odds are they move Bodine to the backup center/guard spot, and they have Vlad and a rookie compete for the RG Spot. 

8 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I don't think Denver will let Paradis go. And I think that feeling is mutual. 

I think we go after Mitch Morse or Nick Easton. Brett Jones is somewhat interesting as well. I do think Bodine could be more effective if he played next to better guards, but ideally he is a backup C-G. Eric Kush is an interesting guy who can play center or guard. He could probably play RT as well. Max Garcia can also play center or guard. 

Ideally we sign either Morse or Easton. 

My ideal move at right guard is trading for Forrest Lamp. He was a highly touted player who go hurt and has been inactive. The Chargers aren't playing him because their line is playing really well. They haven't been able to see what they have yet. To me, if you offer them a 4th or 5th round pick, they may be willing to move him. To me, he is totally worth the risk. 

If that doesn't happen,  I'm pursuing Mark Glowinski. Guy is playing awesome for the Colts. He is surrounded by some good players, but things are starting to click for him. You could pursue Quinton Spain or AJ Cann. I actually really like the way Cann plays and he's developed nicely. Donovan Smith from Tampa would probably be very good if he moved inside to guard. 

At right tackle I want Daryl Williams and there is a Panther connection there. 

So my ideal starting line next year: 

LT - Dawkins

LG - Teller

C - Easton or Morse

RG - Lamp

RT - Williams

You can flip Teller and Lamp, but I do think I have seen enough from Teller to pencil him in next year. Bodine is your cheap backup C-G. 

Spain is my guy. Immediate upgrade at LG and fits what the Bills want to do offensively.

EDIT: I do like your Lamp idea tho. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I wouldn't split Dawkins and Teller.  I would let them continue to develop together.  

And I don't trust a NE tackle.  Brady gets rid of the ball so quickly it is difficult tell how an O-lineman would do in our offense, where the QB holds on to the ball longer than any one else in the league.  But I don't really know much about Brown, so I could be way off base. 

This ^

2 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

Do you guys see high-end OL talent in this draft?  

Sam Mustipher our of Notre Dame looks like a solid choice in the later rounds.  Along with being able to plug into the center position and the fact that he fights to stop tackles for losses and sacks would be a good guy to go after early rather then late second or third round.  

9 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Definitely hard to trust a NE tackle after the Solder debacle in NY.

That being said, they've got to do due diligence on every available player at positions of need such as OL, TE, WR, and I would argue edge defensive player.

1 hour ago, Tazor Face said:

Dawkins struggled at RT last season...he has shown he's a decent LT. A right tackle will usually move to left tackle, the other way doesnt always work at this level as a switch from left to right tackle could cost millions down the road

I think Dawkins is fine at LT as well. Let the kid develop.

It's much easier to find guards, centers, and RT's in the draft.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Spielman said:

The Bills should take a look at Trent Brown, LT, from New England as a free agent.  He has played pretty well protecting Brady, and you know he's been coached up by the best.  He's making next to nothing.  The guy is huge at 6'8" 359 lbs.  I can't find at info indicating that NE wants to re-sign him. 

Also should look to add a quality center (Paradis ?) and add a guard or right tackle in the second round (Cody Ford/Dalton Risner).  This would be a nice looking OLine :

LT - Brown

LG - Teller

C - Paradis

RG - Ford/Risner

RT - Dawkins

I don't understand why some people feel the need to move Dawkins to the right side..he's young,seems to be getting complete and has taken on some heavyweights ....I just don't see him as a liability at left.jmo

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think the coaches are comfortable with Dawkins on the left.  They wouldn't have traded Glenn if they didn't have confidence in him.  

Build the right side and center and we should be good.  

need a left guard too.  we need 4 new linemen... at least. This line is historically bad.

6 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

Do you guys see high-end OL talent in this draft?  

It’s okay. FA is where I think OL gets addressed. This is a really weak pass catching FA class so that has to be addressed in the draft or via trade. I’d expect 2 starting caliber OL in FA. They may add another guy in the draft. 

11 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

So my ideal starting line next year: 

LT - Dawkins

LG - Teller

C - Easton or Morse

RG - Lamp

RT - Williams

You can flip Teller and Lamp, but I do think I have seen enough from Teller to pencil him in next year. Bodine is your cheap backup C-G. 

I like your line up. What if we draft Jonah Williams in the 1st round an put him at LG? Move Teller to RG an either keep Mills or try and find a replacement at RT in free agency.

LT - Dawkins

LG - Jonah Williams 

C - Easton or Morse

RG - Lamp or Teller

RT - Mills or FA

13 hours ago, Joeziehmer said:

Would look at Notre Dame’s Sam Mustipher at the center positions. Considering his height (6’3) and weight (306) he moves fast in pass protection and run blocking.  A little on the small side but he is a good pickup especially if he falls into the late rounds.  

Intriguing. Does anyone... cough cough research any shaq mason type guards? I'm curious about this rt.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, wppete said:

I like your line up. What if we draft Jonah Williams in the 1st round an put him at LG? Move Teller to RG an either keep Mills or try and find a replacement at RT in free agency.

LT - Dawkins

LG - Jonah Williams 

C - Easton or Morse

RG - Lamp or Teller

RT - Mills or FA

That works as well. I'm okay with it as long as it isn't in the top ten. I like Jonah but he better be elite if I'm drafting him that high. Honestly if we draft Jonah I would just stick him at right tackle, or flip Dawkins over there. 

• Like (+1) 2