OLine - offseason

Spielman

The Bills should take a look at Trent Brown, LT, from New England as a free agent.  He has played pretty well protecting Brady, and you know he's been coached up by the best.  He's making next to nothing.  The guy is huge at 6'8" 359 lbs.  I can't find at info indicating that NE wants to re-sign him. 

Also should look to add a quality center (Paradis ?) and add a guard or right tackle in the second round (Cody Ford/Dalton Risner).  This would be a nice looking OLine :

LT - Brown

LG - Teller

C - Paradis

RG - Ford/Risner

RT - Dawkins

• Like (+1) 1

I wouldn't split Dawkins and Teller.  I would let them continue to develop together.  

And I don't trust a NE tackle.  Brady gets rid of the ball so quickly it is difficult tell how an O-lineman would do in our offense, where the QB holds on to the ball longer than any one else in the league.  But I don't really know much about Brown, so I could be way off base. 

• Like (+1) 4

Would look at Notre Dame’s Sam Mustipher at the center positions. Considering his height (6’3) and weight (306) he moves fast in pass protection and run blocking.  A little on the small side but he is a good pickup especially if he falls into the late rounds.  

5 minutes ago, Spielman said:

The Bills should take a look at Trent Brown, LT, from New England as a free agent.  He has played pretty well protecting Brady, and you know he's been coached up by the best.  He's making next to nothing.  The guy is huge at 6'8" 359 lbs.  I can't find at info indicating that NE wants to re-sign him. 

Also should look to add a quality center (Paradis ?) and add a guard or right tackle in the second round (Cody Ford/Dalton Risner).  This would be a nice looking OLine :

LT - Brown

LG - Teller

C - Paradis

RG - Ford/Risner

RT - Dawkins

I'd prefer we go after Ju'Wan James of the Dolphins to play RT. I'd also add a veteran G and draft a guy in Round 2 or 3 that might have C/G swing ability.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I wouldn't split Dawkins and Teller I would let them continue to develop together.  

And I don't trust a NE tackle.  Brady gets rid of the ball so quickly it is difficult tell how an O-lineman would do in our offense, where the QB holds on to the ball longer than any one else in the league.  But I don't really know much about Brown, so I could be way off base. 

Good point.  Keep them together.  Hopefully Dawkins can start to develop into a better LT.  IMO, he's okay now with plenty of room to improve.

Agree on NE tackles.  Just ask NYG how Solder is working out.  NE doesn't let guys who they want, go.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Spielman said:

LT - Brown

LG - Teller

C - Paradis

RG - Ford/Risner

RT - Dawkins

Very silly idea to move Dawkins to RG. 

I'd like to see a 1st round pick used on an O-Lineman.  It's not a deep class so I think you need to find the jewels early - Maybe Greg Little or Johan Williams.  Of course that depends how high in the draft the Bills are.  If too hign, maybe a trade down as I thinnk both of these guys are in the 12-20 range.

• Like (+1) 3

I don't think Denver will let Paradis go. And I think that feeling is mutual. 

I think we go after Mitch Morse or Nick Easton. Brett Jones is somewhat interesting as well. I do think Bodine could be more effective if he played next to better guards, but ideally he is a backup C-G. Eric Kush is an interesting guy who can play center or guard. He could probably play RT as well. Max Garcia can also play center or guard. 

Ideally we sign either Morse or Easton. 

My ideal move at right guard is trading for Forrest Lamp. He was a highly touted player who go hurt and has been inactive. The Chargers aren't playing him because their line is playing really well. They haven't been able to see what they have yet. To me, if you offer them a 4th or 5th round pick, they may be willing to move him. To me, he is totally worth the risk. 

If that doesn't happen,  I'm pursuing Mark Glowinski. Guy is playing awesome for the Colts. He is surrounded by some good players, but things are starting to click for him. You could pursue Quinton Spain or AJ Cann. I actually really like the way Cann plays and he's developed nicely. Donovan Smith from Tampa would probably be very good if he moved inside to guard. 

At right tackle I want Daryl Williams and there is a Panther connection there. 

So my ideal starting line next year: 

LT - Dawkins

LG - Teller

C - Easton or Morse

RG - Lamp

RT - Williams

You can flip Teller and Lamp, but I do think I have seen enough from Teller to pencil him in next year. Bodine is your cheap backup C-G. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 3

56 minutes ago, VirginiaMike said:

I'd like to see a 1st round pick used on an O-Lineman.  It's not a deep class so I think you need to find the jewels early - Maybe Greg Little or Johan Williams.  Of course that depends how high in the draft the Bills are.  If too hign, maybe a trade down as I thinnk both of these guys are in the 12-20 range.

Sam Mustipher at center would be a good unsung hero type.  If he goes in the second or third round out of Notre Dame.  He’s quick and a little small for a center but doesn’t get beaten off the block and holds pass protection and run blocking down.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I don't think Denver will let Paradis go. And I think that feeling is mutual. 

I think we go after Mitch Morse or Nick Easton. Brett Jones is somewhat interesting as well. I do think Bodine could be more effective if he played next to better guards, but ideally he is a backup C-G. Eric Kush is an interesting guy who can play center or guard. He could probably play RT as well. Max Garcia can also play center or guard. 

Ideally we sign either Morse or Easton. 

My ideal move at right guard is trading for Forrest Lamp. He was a highly touted player who go hurt and has been inactive. The Chargers aren't playing him because their line is playing really well. They haven't been able to see what they have yet. To me, if you offer them a 4th or 5th round pick, they may be willing to move him. To me, he is totally worth the risk. 

If that doesn't happen,  I'm pursuing Mark Glowinski. Guy is playing awesome for the Colts. He is surrounded by some good players, but things are starting to click for him. You could pursue Quinton Spain or AJ Cann. I actually really like the way Cann plays and he's developed nicely. Donovan Smith from Tampa would probably be very good if he moved inside to guard. 

At right tackle I want Daryl Williams and there is a Panther connection there. 

So my ideal starting line next year: 

LT - Dawkins

LG - Teller

C - Easton or Morse

RG - Lamp

RT - Williams

You can flip Teller and Lamp, but I do think I have seen enough from Teller to pencil him in next year. Bodine is your cheap backup C-G. 

Love this and agree with the Cann analysis (though I hate the injuries this year).  

• Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, hemma said:

I wonder when the last time was that we had a RT that received even one vote for the Pro Bowl.

I bet it goes back a ways.

there's one helluva trivia question. off the top of i can't even remember who was there during the sb years.  ballard/fina  brown  hull ritcher....?

can't believe i can't remember being a 45 yr. fan.

i used to complain about pears but since he was here, he hasn't been equaled.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

there's one helluva trivia question. off the top of i can't even remember who was there during the sb years.  ballard/fina  brown  hull ritcher....?

I know.  Pears didn't get a lot of push, but DE's had a tough time getting around him.

When Marrone tried playing Mad Chemist and shoved him inside, we lost a decent RT and got one more below average Right Guard.

3 hours ago, Spielman said:

LT - Brown

LG - Teller

C - Paradis

RG - Ford/Risner

RT - Dawkins

i dont know about dawkins at rt, he struggled there when bills tried him at rt. some times people just cant make the switch to the other side.

31 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

I thought TE has historically been our worst position (not on average but never having a very good-great player), but RG might me it.

57 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

It's Howard Ballard in 1993. He made it in 94 too as a member of the Seahawks. 

4 hours ago, Spielman said:

LT - Brown

LG - Teller

C - Paradis

RG - Ford/Risner

RT - Dawkins

I wouldn't sign Trent Brown. NE signings don't typically play well on other teams. I also think that Dawkins is not suited to play RT. Dawkins play in 2017 at RT wasn't that great, his skillset seems to be better suited for LT. As far as O-line I think you need 3 starters in general from C to RT. I think out of the three need positions I would hope the Bills target Center first and foremost in free agency. I think it would help Teller's development in 2019 and if they go with a rookie guard having a quality vet center next to Teller and a rookie RG would be very helpful to the lines development. 

Overall I think the Bills should target two high quality veteran starters along the O-line. They can go with a rookie at one of those positions but they need to put as much talent around Allen as possible and the O-line is in major need of help to be able to provide good to great pass blocking and generate a push in the ground game.