Bills fans thoughts on our meltdown this year?

Ice bowl 67

Sean McDermott owns this in refusing to move on from Nate Peterman.  Buffalo deserved better and we gave Sean to much credit.  Along with to much time any other Coach would have been roasted, toasted, and fired but Sean has a way of getting apologists rallied around him.  After a vote of confidence to Peterman; Beane cut him before the ink even dried on the transcripts of the presser.  Beane is willing to move on and take the necessary steps to improve the team.  It might mean getting his own guy in there as well; despite McDermott bringing in Beane; it means Beane will want to save his neck and not stick it out for Sean anymore.  

1 minute ago, Joeziehmer said:

Sean McDermott owns this in refusing to move on from Nate Peterman.  Buffalo deserved better and we gave Sean to much credit.  Along with to much time any other Coach would have been roasted, toasted, and fired but Sean has a way of getting apologists rallied around him.  After a vote of confidence to Peterman; Beane cut him before the ink even dried on the transcripts of the presser.  Beane is willing to move on and take the necessary steps to improve the team.  It might mean getting his own guy in there as well; despite McDermott bringing in Beane; it means Beane will want to save his neck and not stick it out for Sean anymore.  

Dude, do you even know waht this thread is about? lol

• Like (+1) 4

It's not a "meltdown".   The team just isn't good enough to win yet.   They lucked out last year and got some help to make the playoffs.  This is a rebuild of the entire team and it takes more than one year.  I have complete confidence that the team is headed in the right direction.

8 hours ago, Ice bowl 67 said:

The last few games I’ve wondered why it seems Rogers refuses to check down.

one example was vs Seattle. 3rd down from maybe  the 18 or so. Aaron Jones there for the check down, a certain first and goal and perhaps a TD. 

Instead Rodgers extends play, keeps looking left and misfires on a low percentage ball outside. 

A few other cases where the underneath routes appear to stop trying and the coverage dropped when Rodgers started moving had me wondering? 

Does Aaron only play hero ball now?

From 2010 to 2014 his efficiency, YPA and comp % are absurd.

Lately he’s been much less so. 

Maybe be a new coach is what’s needed after all?

Has his ego outgrown his game? 

17 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Dude, do you even know waht this thread is about? lol

Welcome to the board where NFL experts are plentiful! I think he wanted to vent so bad he did not process the original post ha ha!

I used to think it was a lack of talent around Rodgers that was the issue. But after spending the weekend in GB this year and talking to a lot of Pack fans I started paying a little more attention to MM’s conservative style, and I think that style is the reason the team hasn’t been successful. AR seems like he hates the conservative approach and the disconnect between him and MM ended poorly.

MM reminds me a lot of McD in that they both seem overmatched by simple game management philosophy. Whether it be reviews or clock management or 4th down approach, both coaches don’t seem willing to evolve beyond the era in which they cut their teeth. The difference between the two is that MM has a star QB with an ego and his own beliefs, whereas McD has been allowed to shape a roster of “yes men” who won’t question his approach. Which goes back to the selection of Allen over Rosen. I think Rosen presented a lot of the personality traits that Rodgers has and McD wanted no part of it.

Good luck though, I like the Pack and hope they find success before AR’s time is up.

Edited by Buddy Hix

Ice bowl, this move had to happen for your team--plus it gives you a head start on everyone else (minus Cleveland of course, but they aren't up to your level yet of job attractiveness despite QB up and coming) and allows McCarthy to interview that much quicker elsewhere as well. He won't have a problem finding a new gig. I have little doubt you will bounce back fairly rapidly with the time Aaron has left. 

I have no sympathy. You have went to a Superbowl 3x in the last two decades or so. You've had two of the best QBs ever and with Rodgers managed to waste a portion of his prime. Overall fans of any other team would die to have a quarter of what packer fans have had for over two decades running.

Now football wise? McCarthy didn't seem to have the stuff anymore and I think his message got stale. The team has too many high priced vets like Cobb and Matthews that don't make enough of impact worth keeping. The Packers remind me of the Saints during that period they went 7-9 for a bit where they had to retool in a bunch of places on defense and refit the offense. I think the Packers have more pieces and they have a better cap situation then the Saints did so they should be able to turn it faster. The bigger issue could be the Pack didn't take advantage when the Bears and Vikings were down during the early to mid 2010's. Both team are ready to win now with ferocious defenses designed to slow offense like GB. All of that said the Packers should have the ability to comeback hard next year in my eyes and anything less then one more SB appearance for Rodgers with the Pack seems like a failure during his end here.

The guy needs a coach like Belicheck that doesn't give a damn what he's accomplished in the past.  Otherwise, I hate to say it, but he appears to be a cancer on the team.

He's looked miserable playing this year since week 1 and for several years now...  I wonder if he even likes Football.  The only time he looked like he was enjoying himself was 2nd half of week 1 after he took a bunch of pain killers and they rallied to beat the Bears.

Welcome to our world Ice Bowl 67! I love you now more than ever. You've been inducted into a Bills season of the 21st century. Best luck for all of us next year.

Just now, Ice bowl 67 said:

You guys are right. I bet your hoping we are in the basement for awhile right. 

Nah, and you won't be. I mean you're not even in the same conference so.. ya just walked a mile in our shoes this year.. call it character building :) 

The Packers situation shows that a talented QB can’t get it done on his own.  The GM, HC, OC and QB all have to be in alignment.  It appears that this was not the case in GB.  I would imagine that any coaching candidate out there would be salivating to have an opportunity to work with Rogers.  

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

It takes a special kind of person to deal with someone as arrogant and douchey as Aaron Rodgers.  As someone stated upthread, McCarthy deserves credit for doing it for so long.

My feeling is that Rodgers undermined McCarthy, which probably put many of his teammates in tough spots.

Rodgers has incredible talent.  It is my opinion that his ego/attitude is primarily what's kept him/the Packers from winning more than one Super Bowl.

Ya gotta deal with it though. It's certainly a fault of Rodgers for being so stubborn and difficult, especially as he's gained more validation in the years after the SB. But there's nothing the FO can really do about it. I'm envisioning a defensive minded HC (who leaves the pampering to the OC), and a more quarterback friendly, been there, done that, sort of OC to be Rodgers' playcaller/yes man. Like a.. Frank Reich type or something.

1 hour ago, Ice bowl 67 said:

Hey Beast! Long time no talk. Merry Christmas!

Same to you, buddy. I did have a great time while visiting Green Bay for the game. Appleton was awesome. The Octoberfest was an absolute blast.