Baldy's Breakdown of Allen vs. Miami

4 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Allen’s potential has us all interested in game 13 of a 4-8 season.

I really believe the kid is going to finish strong and the Bills will be the talk of the NFL this coming off-season.

Calling it now,  Allen is going to beat the Patriots in a couple weeks.

I don’t know about that but I’m interested to see what Belichick schemes up to try and stop Allen! 

Baldy is right he is fun to watch and it’s great to have a Qb like that in Buffalo! Do we have a superstar in the making here??? I was skeptical of Allen as far as accuracy and whether he was athletic enough to move and extend plays! Hah what a joke! This guy abused the Phins especially Alonso! He shocked them. Players, coaches and fans. They won the game but boy was there a bad case of Qb envy afterwards!!

On 12/5/2018 at 9:24 AM, ScottLaw said:

I've said I was impressed with Allen. It was his best game. The potential is intriguing. He reminds me a bit of Rodgers.

Not sure what you wanted me to see? He still bailed from the pocket too early on that last play and stares at the rush and is erratic with his throws too often. Hopefully  with a better line and more experience that doesn't happen nearly as often. 

Can you blame him? He is under pressure on over half his dropbacks...

That being said he is starting to make good throws to his 2nd, 3rd and even 4th options on plays...something that wasn't happening at all before he was hurt...its almost as if the game slowed down for him at some point...maybe Anderson was able to give him some pointers or tricks or whatever but its almost night and day watching him since he has come back.

On 12/5/2018 at 9:15 AM, jrober38 said:

Allen played great on Sunday. 

His scrambling ability is incredible and he's pretty good as a passer when he can let it rip. His touch passes and deep balls aren't very good, but with practice they should get better (particularly the deep ball). Allen has missed numerous deep balls this year to wide open receivers. He needs to learn to put more air under the ball and throw it to where his guy can round off his route, allowing him to be less precise. 

For example, on the deep ball to Foster, he doesn't need to throw it to the goal line right out in front of Foster. Throw it towards the very middle of the field or even the left hash, and let Foster adjust to the ball and round off his route at the end. That should come with more practice. 

I think Allen himself will tell you he missed that one terribly.

The Bills might have something in this Robert Foster though.

Zay and Foster could be keepers amongst the young WR’s.

On 12/5/2018 at 10:33 AM, PolishPrince said:

I like how Baldy at the end points out that its Cameron Wake and Robert Quinn chasing Allen in the backfield, and they really dont even come close to getting him lol. 

Hasn't Wake usually had good games against us in the past? I cant think of many QB's that would survive behind our OLine vs Wake and Quinn....

Also its going to be really interesting seeing what teams will do to spy Allen in the future... so far LBers dont work. Do they start spying with Safeties? I feel like most will struggle to tackle Josh unless they trip him or somehow catch him at a straight angle with speed built up (assuming Josh doesnt dodge it). Do they start spying with 2 LBers? If they do it should start opening a lot more short/intermediate routes.... the rest of this season will be as interesting as it gets for a team with no playoff hope.

Id blitz him every play. He’s not shown he can get it out quick and we know the line is meh

On 12/5/2018 at 12:39 PM, Utah John said:

I asked that question, who still thinks we drafted the wrong Josh, last week.  Got nothing but crickets.  This guy is going to be really good.

I'm no cricket and I'm going to continue to give the correct answer.

It's too early to say, and that will be true for quite a while now.

Judging only by what we've seen so far, Allen has absolutely been better overall but Rosen has passed about as well with arguably an even weaker OL and offensive personnel overall. Allen has better momentum since he came back from his time on the bench. But neither one has passed well with consistency.

But the bottom line is that it is simply too early.

OP, thanks for posting that. It was fun to watch.

Edited by Thurman#1

11 hours ago, njbuff said:

I think Allen himself will tell you he missed that one terribly.

The Bills might have something in this Robert Foster though.

Zay and Foster could be keepers amongst the young WR’s.

Foster looks like a good situational deep threat, #3 type guy. Jones looks like he could be a #2 guy. 

We still need an Alpha WR though who defenses have to account for, but I agree the WR no longer looks like it needs a total overhaul. We really just need a true #1 guy. 

15 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Foster looks like a good situational deep threat, #3 type guy. Jones looks like he could be a #2 guy. 

We still need an Alpha WR though who defenses have to account for, but I agree the WR no longer looks like it needs a total overhaul. We really just need a true #1 guy. 

WR does appear less dire than it did a few weeks ago. On the other hand, o-line needs at least three new starters, imo.

Allen will never be an elite level Passer from the pocket, I think at best he'll be ok.  Which is fine with me.  Where he will make a name for himself will be out of the pocket, similar to that of Rodgers, Russel Wilson and Big Ben.   That's where he will become an elite QB, making plays from outside of the pocket.    

30 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

N'Keal Harry from ASU.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

WR does appear less dire than it did a few weeks ago. On the other hand, o-line needs at least three new starters, imo.

Sure, that would be ideal, but I think it's a big ask over one offseason.

I think they'll target a high end interior lineman from free agency and a rookie RT from the draft. Then they'll open up other spots to competition. 

30 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

N'Keal Harry from ASU.

This draft is loaded at WR. There will be a bunch of good options to choose from. 

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

Sure, that would be ideal, but I think it's a big ask over one offseason.

I think they'll target a high end interior lineman from free agency and a rookie RT from the draft. Then they'll open up other spots to competition. 

This draft is loaded at WR. There will be a bunch of good options to choose from. 

What I like best about Harry is he's a deep threat, not because he burns by people, he just knows how to use his body as leverage to get the ball.  His catch radius is also great.

Allen will sometimes put the ball on the numbers, sometimes he puts it in tough spots for a WR and they have to adjust....Harry is good at that.

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

What I like best about Harry is he's a deep threat, not because he burns by people, he just knows how to use his body as leverage to get the ball.  His catch radius is also great.

Allen will sometimes put the ball on the numbers, sometimes he puts it in tough spots for a WR and they have to adjust....Harry is good at that.

Harry or AJ Brown seem to have the most #1 WR traits. They both run the full route tree and can run after the catch.

Beyond them there are another 5-6 high quality prospects to look at but I'm not sure any of them are as complete as those two. 

47 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

N'Keal Harry from ASU.

This is my pick. Marquise Brown has fallen off for me. Too many concerns about his catch ability and I'm not sure speed is the missing piece for us right now. Harry appears to be elite at making difficult catches. I also would be happy with TE Noah Fant. Allen could be deadly with a huge weapon like him running seam routes.

16 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The pro comparison I've seen a lot is Dez Bryant. I think that's right.

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This is my pick. Marquise Brown has fallen off for me. Too many concerns about his catch ability and I'm not sure speed is the missing piece for us right now. Harry appears to be elite at making difficult catches. I also would be happy with TE Noah Fant. Allen could be deadly with a huge weapon like him running seam routes.

The pro comparison I've seen a lot is Dez Bryant. I think that's right.

He's Dez Bryant with 2-3 inches.  Thats what she said.