Bills have released Kelvin Benjamin and Andre Holmes

YoloinOhio

4 hours ago, klos63 said:

They corrected a mistake that cost them a 3rd round pick. Not sure this means they are ok. Yeah, they fixed a mistake, but it was a costly one.

Fixing a mistake is better than living in denial.  

Not the best case scenario, but at least they realize their mistake. 

1 hour ago, eball said:

Wow -- that is incredibly unlucky for Sammy.  Makes you wonder if his body type isn't suited to the rigors of the NFL.  Some guys just can't stay healthy.

.......look at your foot.......was reading that each one is comprised of 26 bones......pretty remarkable stuff......could see how ongoing issues could linger....

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I love watching McDermott and Beane operate.   They have no fear.   In particular, they have no fear of mistakes.   They make decisions, like acquiring Benjamin, and they are not afraid to admit that it didn't work.  

I also love how they don't waste time.   They want a young team, they want to build through the draft.   They don't want old players around unless they are really, really good players or leaders.   If you're old and not a leader or a star, you're occupying space that, in McBeane's mind, is better occupied by a young guy.   Get the old guy out of here NOW, so we can get a young guy in and see what he can do.  

They're going to keep changing the mix of players every chance they get.  As they've said many times, they're all about getting better at every position, all the time.  

McBeane's mindset changed when the game ended Sunday.   The Bills have four preseason games left in 2018.   These games are the opportunity to see and evaluate players, and the Bills have seen and evaluated Benjamin and Holmes as much as they needed.  

I think this is pretty important.....they did make mistakes along the way but did not hold onto them for a fear of ppl thinking they make mistakes.   Some HC and GM's get stubborn on this.

They also have hit on players.

1 hour ago, BurpleBull said:

No more of Benjamin stealing Zay's targets.

....and lowering Josh’s completion %. 

It’s probably a relief to Zay that he only has to get himself lined up in the right place for a change. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

It's a different foot, however, and it looks like Watkins' season is pretty much toast (although he may be a spot player in the last couple of games; who knows). The issue might actually be that he has chronic, congenital foot problems, which might explain why teams like LA and Buffalo didn't try to retain him. There's a ton of medical info we are not privy too. 

If it is a chronic problem, how did the Chiefs medical staff not catch it? Seems strange that they would sign him to a rich contract knowing the foot (feet?) problems would hinder his continued availability 

59 minutes ago, GG said:

Don't you think that should be a larger part of the discussion? 

Do you think it's a coincidence that two franchises whose medical staffs had an intimate view of Watkins health declined to commit to him for the long term?

The Rams tried "aggressively" to re-sign him dude.

• Haha (+1) 1

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000996359/article/mcdermott-on-cutting-kelvin-benjamin-it-didnt-work-for-us

We stepped up to the plate and you take a swing," McDermott said. "Some of those are going work and some aren't, but the only way you get a hit is you take a swing. 

"And just as important for us, I believe, is when things are no longer right for us as our football team and where we are, the vision we're trying to chase, that we move forward and that's what we did."

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000996359/article/mcdermott-on-cutting-kelvin-benjamin-it-didnt-work-for-us

We stepped up to the plate and you take a swing," McDermott said. "Some of those are going work and some aren't, but the only way you get a hit is you take a swing. 

We stepped up to the line of scrimmage and threw some passes.... I hate mixing sports analogies.

12 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The Rams tried "aggressively" to re-sign him dude.

Of course they did, and are probably happy they didn't win the bidding war that they never really participated in.

24 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

If it is a chronic problem, how did the Chiefs medical staff not catch it? Seems strange that they would sign him to a rich contract knowing the foot (feet?) problems would hinder his continued availability 

I love him as a player - but i think its a chronic pain tolerance issue.  

21 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well OK then but who are we putting on the field?

Speed and youth: Zay, Foster, McKenzie, and Ray Ray...Thompson doesn't so much fit the youth movement much, but I hope his hands come back once he gets more rapport with Allen. 

Don't we typically use max 3 WR personnel packages with Clay as the 4th WR/TE? 

I also bet the plan is to really evaluate Zay's potential within the corps, although many of us are of the opinion he's a stout slot WR or WR2 ceiling, they may want to see how he performs more as the WR1 in certain route schemes. Just not sure what we plan to do for size...which is most useful in the red zone and third downs

21 hours ago, Buddo said:

Slightly surprising due to timing, but I don't think either of them were going to be here long term. (Or after the season)

I wasn't surprised by the timing, at all. I mean how many times have we seen KB simply jogging without a care out there?

But I became surprised when I realized by the article all his money is guaranteed. He's still to be paid about 2.1 millions to be on vacation!

BTW I thought it was a nice gamble by the Bills brass. It made sense. KB is to blame. Big time. Hell, he showed zero motivation in his contract year! No one can expect that. Who will hire his guy if it's not at vet minimum?

1 hour ago, LABillzFan said:

You see, this is what's frustrating about reading your posts. You're qualifying other posts as something they're not to make a point that has no value.

Case in point...you respond to Shaw directly when you refer to fans who consider management as "untouchable" and above criticism, and yet he only last night admitted problems with McDermott, including...

They're not untouchable. There are things to criticize for a new coach and GM...even an old coach and GM. But again, you choose down side almost exclusively, and pretty much everyone else chooses up side, which bothers you for some reason to the extent that you misrepresent what others are trying to say.

We get it. You hate management. You're very clear about it. No need to misrepresent those who don't sing your lone note with you.

See, you just did the same thing you accused me of.  I’m constantly praising their defensive player evaluation yet you try to make it like I just trash everything they do.  That’s not true at all.  But my problem is that we have a defensive head coach who is running this franchise.  And if you look at their offensive player evaluation, they have missed far more than they have hit.

there was not one good thing about the KB move.  They had him in Carolina. He was fat and got worse every year he was there (and the Panthers played better without him).  So they traded 2 picks for him?  His whole time here was embarrassing but what makes it worse is they should have known it because they had him before.  

SM knows defense but please keep him away from the offense.  

48 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I think this is pretty important.....they did make mistakes along the way but did not hold onto them for a fear of ppl thinking they make mistakes.   Some HC and GM's get stubborn on this.

They also have hit on players.

The counter is they held on clear mistakes like Peterman and Benjamin longer than they should. 

43 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

37 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Christ, it's even worse than everyone thought. McDermott doesn't even know what sport the Bills play. What a disaster. Fire everybody.

Sloth-Laugh.gif

• Haha (+1) 1