Bills have released Kelvin Benjamin and Andre Holmes

YoloinOhio

14 minutes ago, Gugny said:

LOL, that's what I was thinking!!  Aunt Boo Boo Foot is on the sidelines again and only has 500 yards/3 TDs this season.

Don't look at the stats!  He is a master decoy that opens up that entire offense!  He is the engine that makes it go!  I mean look at the Chiefs offensive production last year (no Watkins) vs. this year (with Watkins). 

He was also the key to the Rams offensive resurgence last year that has even carried over into this year.  He's incredible.

• Haha (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

It's not a great look for Beane but it had to be done.  He's now traded picks and paid $$ to two former first-round receivers who have contributed nothing (Benjamin and Coleman), and traded away a first-round receiver who continues to perform at a high level.

No, we do not need to re-hash that here.

But Beane is up against it now to prove he can evaluate talent on offense.  Can't keep swinging and missing.

Wrt "why now," I don't think it's just that they're out of the playoffs.  I think it's also about leadership and team chemistry.  Allen is making progress as a player and a leader and this move, in part, removes obstacles to his continued ascension as a leader.  It also sends a message that they're not tolerating that kind of attitude any longer (and as bad as it was all season, it was noticeably worse on Sunday - on Zay Jones' second TD, Benjamin is literally jogging a clear-out route ahead of Jones - never seen that before and I am not convinced it was the proper route).  

Finally, gotta hand it to Benjamin - one of the worst contract year performances I've ever witnessed.  Can't really say it's about $$ for him because he cost himself millions this season.  He clearly doesn't love the game.

Coach, great post.

Additionally, though, and maybe this may seem like a defense of Beane, but I think just an overall increase on offensive talent across the board will help.  1 or 2 guys are important, but if we have five guys (WR, T, G, TE, C) that are just plain better it would improve everybody and everything that we do.

Stars are great, but man, do we just plain need "better" in a lot of spots.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Don't look at the stats!  He is a master decoy that opens up that entire offense!  He is the engine that makes it go!  I mean look at the Chiefs offensive production last year (no Watkins) vs. this year (with Watkins). 

He was also the key to the Rams offensive resurgence last year that has even carried over into this year.  He's incredible.

He’s playing very well and he’d instantly be the best receiver on the Bills and his skill set is perfect for Josh Allen.  Jason Peters, Sammy Watkins - Bills fans never tire of misevaluating players who ask to be paid.

A more balanced view of Benjamin's release from Fairburn at The Athletic

According to a source, the Bills’ strength staff loved Benjamin and had no issues with his effort. Publicly, Benjamin is often knocked as lazy and out of shape, but that view wasn’t shared by everyone in the building. Benjamin’s attitude and work ethic had nothing to do with his release.

13 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He’s playing very well and he’d instantly be the best receiver on the Bills and his skill set is perfect for Josh Allen.  Jason Peters, Sammy Watkins - Bills fans never tire of misevaluating players who ask to be paid.

Jason Peters is a first ballot hall of famer. Get out of here with that Sammy Watkins nonsense. I’ve never heard so much hype for a player who has barely produced in five years of football. 2 of which were on offensive jauggernaut teams who put up crazy offensive stats. 

• Like (+1) 2

More from Fairburn:

So why release him now? Well, there was little interest in Benjamin at the trading deadline because of his pedestrian statistics and $8.5 million cap hit. Some wonder if the Bills should have held on to Benjamin for the purpose of the compensatory pick formula, but that wasn’t a factor. For one, the Bills have $90 million in cap space and few free agents of their own in 2019, meaning they will out-gain their losses and not be players in the compensatory pick formula. Even if they were worried about that, the only way they would get a significant pick for Benjamin is if he signed a hefty contract elsewhere. Given the lack of interest in him at the deadline, a big payday doesn’t appear to be in Benjamin’s future.

The Bills elected to release Benjamin now because he wasn’t in their long-term plans. The playoffs are out of the question, so the team plans to feature their younger receivers the rest of the way. Rather than continue to cut Benjamin’s snap counts or make him inactive, the Bills elected to spare him the embarrassment and attention that would come with that and give him a chance to sign with another team. The same goes for wide receiver Andre Holmes, whom the Bills also released Tuesday.

15 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He's paid at the top of his position, whose cap number will hit nearly $20 million in '19, yet his production is among the middling WRs.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

So you're saying he's bound for New England?

Normally I’d think this possible. Bring in for two days to pick brain on playbook and then cut. But he was such a POS that Zay was having to line him up. No value even trying to get playbook info. He is truly worthless.

7 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

Serious question.  Have you ever seen an athlete in a CONTRACT YEAR ever put in so little effort?  In his contract year, Gilmore avoided contact like the plague but at least he seemed to put in some effort to play his position.  KB from the first snap to the last just didn't seem to care.

Nope, it was unbelievable watching the lack of effort and not caring attitude.

That said, I don't fault Beane for bringing KB to Buffalo as he looked like just the player the team needed as that big, tall red zone target this franchise has wanted for a decade. 

Damn shame he wasn't even anywhere as good as a player like Mohammed Sanu. Like Coach said it brings in to question Beane's ability to evaluate offensive talent. This team will need top receivers, top O linemen and tight ends. Looks like he made another mistake with Nick O' Leary over Logan Thomas. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

LOL, that's what I was thinking!!  Aunt Boo Boo Foot is on the sidelines again and only has 500 yards/3 TDs this season.

zay jones may very well likely end up with better numbers than watkins.  wrap your head around that!

• Like (+1) 6

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

a 7th round pick for coleman isn't really worth anything... it was training camp and they knew our WR room was bad.  Try and improve it

As for Watkins - 40 for 500 and 3 isn't exactly a high level (hes a top 10 paid WR).  He's also been having foot issues all season, and his cap hit triples in 2019.  They can't even dump him on this deal because they guaranteed so much.  The only way to lessen the cap hit would be to extend him, and no one would do that when he missed time every year with a foot soreness issue.  If the foot issue continues it could be one of the worst contracts in football.  

It’s not the late pick for Coleman.  They took on $3.5 or $4M salary.  This in a time I kept hearing we couldn’t do more at WR or on OL cuz, cap.  

Point being, with the WR we signed and cut we had >$5M that could have gone towards signing Pouncy or retaining Woods, who I keep hearing we couldn’t afford.  

It’s not the $$ per se or the draft pick, it’s the player e v a l judgement they represent.  I sometimes feel Beane is like “former 1st round pick, Get Er done” with just about that depth of scouting.

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

But to pretend like they haven’t been failures on offense, especially at receiver, is just lying to yourself.  This offense sucked.

Last time...I have no problem faulting them for bad choices. Truth is, life never comes down to bad choices so much as how you react to the bad choices you've made.

The difference here is I try to look for the up side. You are focused on the down side. That's really the only difference in what we're discussing. Neither matter until such a time that the team KEEPS people like KB on the roster, at which point we'd be in total agreement.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, LABillzFan said:

Last time...I have no problem faulting them for bad choices. Truth is, life never comes down to bad choices so much as how you react to the bad choices you've made.

The difference here is I try to look for the up side. You are focused on the down side. That's really the only difference in what we're discussing. Neither matter until such a time that the team KEEPS people like KB on the roster, at which point we'd be in total agreement.

Great post, my man.  Kudos.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SWATeam said:

He's been playing very well when healthy, but the feet may just be a chronic issue with him. I will not be surprised if he has the same injury as the one he had with the other foot. It's correctable, but he probably won't be 100 percent until around September of next year if he has the surgery.

• Like (+1) 1