Bills have released Kelvin Benjamin and Andre Holmes

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, biggerdaddynj said:

Credit McBeane for cutting KB (though it should have been sooner) but let’s not forget what it cost us to get him ... and it’s not like they didn’t know the player.  FWIW.  

A lot of these guys they brought in like KB and Trent Murphy they are now having severe buyers remorse on.  When you read how his gaps, assignments, reads, and stunts got manhandled it doesn’t give one confidence with Love being promoted it means that we keep Murphy as a big body and perhaps transition it to DT just to clog running lanes but even that is a stretch.  

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

No. May not have gotten one regardless because it depends on the type of contract he would have signed in FA, and whether or not we had a net loss of FAs

With our cap space we aren’t going to net a loss - it’s incredibly unlikely to effect it honestly

38 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

They saw a chance to help a guy get re-born while trying to instill a new culture. It didn't work out. They cut bait.

Some choose to judge people based on their mistakes. Other choose to judge people based on how they react to their mistakes. You can tell much more by the latter.

McDermott's trim the fat comment after the Phins game was a pretty big hint that the KB move was possible.  As you stated so well LA, I like the fact that McDermott and Beane were willing to absorb the Vic Carruci and others criticism and cut bait.  This tells me that Team >> Their own egos.  I like that trait because personnel mistakes are going to be inevitable.  For every Taron Johnson there will be a KB. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Joeziehmer said:

A lot of these guys they brought in like KB and Trent Murphy they are now having severe buyers remorse on.  When you read how his gaps, assignments, reads, and stunts got manhandled it doesn’t give one confidence with Love being promoted it means that we keep Murphy as a big body and perhaps transition it to DT just to clog running lanes but even that is a stretch.  

bug spray stick art.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1

• SDS pinned this topic

Especially considering that they were willing to move Dareus last season, I'm somewhat relieved to see this move. It's surprising and overdue at the same time. Benjamin was bad and clearly disinterested, vocally uninterested even. However you want to say he wasn't interested, he wasn't lol

Benjamin, Boldin... this regime has had a couple of big whiffs at evaluating WRs. 

What is exciting is that Foster has wide open field in front of him here, he very well could be WR1 going into next season. That's more of a prediction than an endorsement, although I do like his game for the most part as he's been gelling with Allen. He has much more upside than Benjamin does, anyway

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Cam Newton won the MVP and they went to the SM the year he didn’t play a game.  They traded him in the middle of playoff race.  The Carolina fans I knew thought he was a fat bum and they were better without him.

jordan Matthews

kelvin Benjamin 

trading up for Zay Jones instead of taking JuJu or Kupp

corey Coleman

2 undersized slot wrs in this year’s draft 

they are dreadful with receivers. 

Corey was picked up by the Patriots. Dreadful Patriots.

Matthews caught a key TD for Philly the other night, Dreadful Eagles.

Zay Jones is on fire in his second year. Dreadful Bills.

But other than that, you TOTALLY nailed it. :lol:

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

Comp picks only come in to play if you have a net loss in free agency, we are not going to have a net loss so I'm good with it. KB was absolutely terrible and deserves the shame of getting cut in the middle of the season.

Keeping Benjamin would have meant one more loss of a free agent. Cutting him lowers the number for FAs lost.

Also, fifth year option contracts are guaranteed, or at least they are if the guy is still on the roster when the league year starts, and that was months ago. So we don't save any money by cutting him. His salary will still be paid and will go into our official dead cap totals ($68 mill now, Holy Cow!!).

So there's a disadvantage to cutting him and no advantage in terms of saved money.

What this seems to mean is that they just did not want the guy on this roster. They wanted to get rid of him badly. Very interesting. It sends a message to the locker room, but more, it simply gets Benjamin himself out.

I think releasing both of these guys means we're going big for WR in the offseason. We can't go with Zay at #1. He's a fantastic #2. I think we are gonna make a big trade at the position. If they are really sold on Allen they have to. Not to mention next year is year 3 for Beane and McDermott. They know next year is the year to really get this team to start contending

Edited by Buffalo03
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Monty Green said:

Especially considering that they were willing to move Dareus last season, I'm somewhat relieved to see this move. It's surprising and overdue at the same time. Benjamin was bad and clearly disinterested, vocally uninterested even. However you want to say he wasn't interested, he wasn't lol

Benjamin, Boldin... this regime has had a couple of big whiffs at evaluating WRs. 

What is exciting is that Foster has wide open field in front of him here, he very well could be WR1 going into next season. That's more of a prediction than an endorsement, although I do like his game for the most part as he's been gelling with Allen. He has much more upside than Benjamin does, anyway

Boldin retired. And they didn't lose a dollar on him. No fault falls on the Bills for that evaluation.

6 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I think releasing both of these guys means we're going big for WR in the offseason. We can't go with Zay at #1. He's a fantastic #2. I think we are gonna make a big trade at the position. If they are really sold on Allen they have to. Not to mention next year is year 3 for Beane and McDermott. They know next year is the year to really get this team to start contending

The problem is are we going to get a guy looking to be the #1 receiver or a guy looking to get paid.

It's likely going to happen.  I'm sure WR's around the league are noticing Allen's abilities to throw the ball where guys need to work for it so I'm sure they will be able to find the guys they need to help him.

As long as they please fix the OLine.

Call me crazy but I would not have cut him.

Guaranteed salary is one reason. I’d have made him sit the bench. No one would have signed him next year so you could sign him to a very low heavily performance laden contract. In doing so you could throw him out there as a decoy on certain routes even if he sucks they’ll still cover him.

Now someone can try him out for free

19 minutes ago, Monty Green said:

I see Foster being Goodwin. I see Zay being Robert. We just have to find a legit #1. I love Marquise Brown but who knows? And finally a TE?