Best Christmas Present You Ever Gave

sherpa

The other thread got me thinking.

To give has always been more pleasurable than to receive, so what was the best Christmas present you ever gave?

For me it is simple. 

A number of really good French artists spend their winters in St. Maarten, on the French side.

Really good talent, and I was going there every week as part of work at the time.

I brought down seperate pictures of my three children at about the three year old age, and a really talented guy painted them as one oil.

Just an incredible likeness of three of my wife's favorite pictures, sitting next to each other.

When she opened the scroll, she just wept.

Art is a really cool.

• Like (+1) 2

I have two. One, I have an aunt who's obsessed with Barbara Streisand. When she came to town, tickets were going for $250 in the nosebleeds and up. So I got all my cousins and aunts and uncles together to pitch in, and we bought her a pair of tickets.

The other one, was a DVD for my dad. He'd been telling us about one of his favorite movies as a kid. "Kill the Umpire." Would rummage through every VHS and DVD store at the Walden Flea Market for it. Finally found it for him online, along with a reprint of the original movie poster. 

My wife’s family is full of annual repeating gifts. Her sister gives us all wool socks. Her mother would give her the same cashmere lined Coach gloves. Her mom passed durung the Holidays last year, so I went to the Coach store and paid cash for the gloves so she wouldn’t see the charge. So I’m going to make my wife cry for Christmas. I’m one helluva guy. (Yeah, seriously mixed emotions on this one....but it seemed like a good idea at the time.) 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Augie said:

My wife’s family is full of annual repeating gifts. Her sister gives us all wool socks. Her mother would give her the same cashmere lined Coach gloves. Her mom passed durung the Holidays last year, so I went to the Coach store and paid cash for the gloves so she wouldn’t see the charge. So I’m going to make my wife cry for Christmas. I’m one helluva guy. (Yeah, seriously mixed emotions on this one....but it seemed like a good idea at the time.) 

I've made my wife cry with gifts a few times. The trick is to either "forget" or give a crappy gift, then give the real one after that.

For her 21st birthday I gave her a 5 pack of beer. Told her I got thirsty on the way over. She doesn't even like beer. Then the next day, I showed up at her house around 9am, when I was supposed to be working. Sat down and ate breakfast with her parents, and refused to tell her what was going on. Just told her to go take a shower, and then put on something comfortable. Then I drove her to a massage place, told her she had an 11:00 appointment already paid for in her name. Then went down to Galveston and brought her to this fancy steakhouse and seafood place for lunch. Then went to a bar where all of her friends were waiting for her.

Two Christmases ago, I was genuinely broke. But Green Day was coming to town, and it was her favorite band. So I scrounged up what I had, and bought them. I told her how sorry I was, but I'll buy her a gift when tax time comes around. She actually wasn't even mad and genuinely understood. Then after we had opened all the presents, and settled down, I suggested we play a game of Rummikub. Told her I had to pee, but to grab the box and set the game up, and I'd be out in a minute. Then heard her scream when she opened it.

She got me back on my birthday this year. Bought me a $10 Astros shirt. I liked it and all, but I own about 15 of them, and this one was literally as basic as you can get. Not a jersey, or even championship gear. Just a basic shirt that said "Astros" and the team logo. We ate dinner, and and cake. Then she gave me the card from her and her parents. Willie Effing Nelson tickets. I literally cried.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I've made my wife cry with gifts a few times. The trick is to either "forget" or give a crappy gift, then give the real one after that.

For her 21st birthday I gave her a 5 pack of beer. Told her I got thirsty on the way over. She doesn't even like beer. Then the next day, I showed up at her house around 9am, when I was supposed to be working. Sat down and ate breakfast with her parents, and refused to tell her what was going on. Just told her to go take a shower, and then put on something comfortable. Then I drove her to a massage place, told her she had an 11:00 appointment already paid for in her name. Then went down to Galveston and brought her to this fancy steakhouse and seafood place for lunch. Then went to a bar where all of her friends were waiting for her.

Two Christmases ago, I was genuinely broke. But Green Day was coming to town, and it was her favorite band. So I scrounged up what I had, and bought them. I told her how sorry I was, but I'll buy her a gift when tax time comes around. She actually wasn't even mad and genuinely understood. Then after we had opened all the presents, and settled down, I suggested we play a game of Rummikub. Told her I had to pee, but to grab the box and set the game up, and I'd be out in a minute. Then heard her scream when she opened it.

She got me back on my birthday this year. Bought me a $10 Astros shirt. I liked it and all, but I own about 15 of them, and this one was literally as basic as you can get. Not a jersey, or even championship gear. Just a basic shirt that said "Astros" and the team logo. We ate dinner, and and cake. Then she gave me the card from her and her parents. Willie Effing Nelson tickets. I literally cried.

Wow, very cool. For my 40th BDay my wife did a similar deal. The day started with a tennis lesson with my favorite pro. After a shower she took me for an hour massage, followed by a great lunch. After lunch I got in the car thinking we were done, but she drove to a Marina where we boarded a sailboat with a picnic basket (full of wine! Hey, we just ate!) and sailed around Sarasota Bay for a couple hours. By the time we got home I was pleasantly exhausted! You couldn’t miss all the cars parked up and down the road, but I assumed a neighbor was having a party. I walked into a house full of people and a loud SURPRISE!!! In my stunned and exhausted stupor, I kind of waved and walked past everyone and went straight to the shower. I recovered enough to have a great night that we still laugh about! 

Another best Christmas present (and also one of the worst!) was a grill I gave her right before our February wedding. We went to my parents on Christmas Eve for a while and I excused myself. I snuck out and met a buddy who worked construction and is pretty handy at our new rental condo. We were to put a gas grill together and return before too much time had passed. Bad plan. Not only is assembling a grill a tricky task, I was rewarding my handy friend with beer, making the task infinitely more complicated. I think my wife eventually excused herself and went home. I had good intentions! My rationale was that I will do ALL the grilling, so she never has to handle that aspect of cooking. We grilled A LOT back then, most meals, so I was a HERO in my mind. After ditching her with her future in-laws on Christmas Eve, I did come to see the error of my ways. It took decades to laugh at that one! 

On 12/5/2018 at 11:07 AM, /dev/null said:

I was born a few days before Christmas and came home from the hospital on Christmas Eve

Yeah sounds cheesy and I still hear stories about the little baby bundle for Christmas

Good one! I was born on the 27th, so couple of days late, but still the best Christmas gift this family ever received!

On 12/5/2018 at 4:39 PM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Aren't you the guy who asked for dating advice literally two years ago? Good on you nonetheless.

29 minutes ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

Aren't you the guy who asked for dating advice literally two years ago? Good on you nonetheless.

Apparently, if you ask, your prayers are answered. 

Go figure with this bunch of clowns!