Is your memory getting worse with age?

17 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I can still remember things, but the recall speed is reduced. So I'm not nearly as good at Jeopardy.

I have this problem also.  Sometimes it takes a couple of days for me to remember whatever it was.   Also I know that if I am under stress, my recall gets even worse.

I used to be good at faces and lousy at names.  Now I am not good at either.

it's not old age but

I've always been able to rhyme off all the NFL/MLB/NBA/NFL champions and lineups for years before i was born or watching

and couldn't give you the last 5-10 winners of any of them even though i watched them

I've always had poor memory for small things.  Absent-minded professor syndrome.  I have far more important things to mull over than where I last put my keys.

Overall, though...I can feel my though processes slowing down.  It's not like it's crippling...I'm still smarter than any three of you dolts combined.  But it's definitely present, and I feel as though in ten more years I'll only be as smart as any two of you dolts.

9 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I've always had poor memory for small things.  Absent-minded professor syndrome.  I have far more important things to mull over than where I last put my keys.

Overall, though...I can feel my though processes slowing down.  It's not like it's crippling...I'm still smarter than any three of you dolts combined.  But it's definitely present, and I feel as though in ten more years I'll only be as smart as any two of you dolts.

and you'll only get crankier as you age

19 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

i burn out quicker, makes me prioritize

people weren't meant to walk around buried in their phones every second of the day, this will not be pretty in 20 years for them...

23 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm only 37 and I'm already experiencing forgetfulness.  I don't want to say memory loss because that sounds like really serious stuff.

Like for instance, I had to buy another fuel cap the other day because after I got gas, I forgot to put on the cap before I drove off.

Last week as I was getting my son in the car, I put my cup on top of the roof.  Forgot about that cup and drove off...cup splashed all over my windshield.

Forgot my lunch today.  It's sitting on the counter in my kitchen as we speak.

The coffee station at my work is close to the bathrooms.  I'll put in a k-cup and then go to the bathroom.  When I leave the bathroom, sometimes I forget about my coffee.

It's little things I like this.  Did you guys experience this in your late 30's? 

This is the first I'm reading this thread.  Funny stuff!

At 62 my memory is getting better. Used to think I had two grand slams in a little league game, but now I remember a third in that same game! Used to think some of the women I brought home in college were beauty challenged, but now I remember they were all pretty hot! And that 21 save game I had against Spencerport my sophomore year to finally beat those (previously) undefeated arrogant b/stards...actually no changes to that one!

Edited by Steve O
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 12/4/2018 at 12:37 PM, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm only 37 and I'm already experiencing forgetfulness.  I don't want to say memory loss because that sounds like really serious stuff.

Like for instance, I had to buy another fuel cap the other day because after I got gas, I forgot to put on the cap before I drove off.

Last week as I was getting my son in the car, I put my cup on top of the roof.  Forgot about that cup and drove off...cup splashed all over my windshield.

Forgot my lunch today.  It's sitting on the counter in my kitchen as we speak.

The coffee station at my work is close to the bathrooms.  I'll put in a k-cup and then go to the bathroom.  When I leave the bathroom, sometimes I forget about my coffee.

It's little things I like this.  Did you guys experience this in your late 30's? 

Maybe your life is just busier now and you are more distracted. That happens when you have kids.

I am very forgetful, but the worst is asking a lady her name, then forgetting her name in 10 seconds. I have STML pretty bad. 

What were we talking about?

On 12/4/2018 at 11:50 AM, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I'm just a couple years ahead of you at 40, and can say that my short term memory is simply awful. I always stop my wife if she starts giving more than one assignment off the honey-do list at a time, because I know there is no way I will remember it without another list! I'll tell her to text it to me :).  Sometimes I'll come down the stairs and forget what I came down for in the first place...and the list goes on. I'm guessing (hoping) it's kinda normal at this age? I will say my long term memory couldn't be better, and I rarely forget a face (name is different problem with newer acquaintances) so I think it's nothing too serious yet, lol. 

Yep.

• Like (+1) 1

Today I sat at a meeting that went a half hour with a half baked preliminary schedule  outlining a complex financial fraud, and because i wasn’t directly involved, completely tuned out any burden of memorizing 

years ago I would have foolishly put the whole thing in my mind on a few minutes 

this is progress 

• Like (+1) 1