Brandon Beane Gives Blueprint to Critical 2019 Offseason

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

Not that I would expect Beane to tip his hand, but I would have liked to have heard something about better protecting their QB investment. TE's who can catch and block, and O-linemen who do not get steamrolled into your backfield on just about every play.

We are in need of a stud type TE similar to Ertz in Philly- Clay is all but washed up- the other TE’s are servicable at best.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He has to.  Simply no getting around it with the interior needing the most immediate attention from guard to guard. 

I think they are comfortable with Teller moving forward as a starter. Center and RG are definite needs as is quality depth all across the line.

7 minutes ago, sven233 said:

Unfortunately, in my opinion, and a lot of other draft guys as well, there really isn't an impact offensive player that should be drafted in the first half of this draft.  So, if the Bills end up in the top 10, they may have no choice but to draft a defensive player.  That, or trade down, if possible, because the offensive value just isn't there this year.

Ahh ok fair enough. I don’t really watch college football unfortunately so I don’t really know the players coming out yet. I’ll differ this one to you then

• Like (+1) 1

The man who signed Trent Murphy who basically got worked over for a lower tier just barely serviceable hybrid that got gashed against Miami?  Including on x-calls and stunts; taking the money which could have been used for veteran offensive lineman or on one weapon like Dez and throwing it at an injury liability?  Could call it the McWhaley process and do better at giving it a name.  

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, sven233 said:

Unfortunately, in my opinion, and a lot of other draft guys as well, there really isn't an impact offensive player that should be drafted in the first half of this draft.  So, if the Bills end up in the top 10, they may have no choice but to draft a defensive player.  That, or trade down, if possible, because the offensive value just isn't there this year.

In this situation I would vote for a trade down.......

Beane is hitting on his picks.....I trust him

1 minute ago, Joeziehmer said:

The man who signed Trent Murphy who basically got worked over for a lower tier just barely serviceable hybrid that got gashed against Miami?  Including on x-calls and stunts; taking the money which could have been used for veteran offensive lineman or on one weapon like Dez and throwing it at an injury liability?  Could call it the McWhaley process and do better at giving it a name.  

Who basically got worked over LOL

Jesus your takes are horrible

Don't understand what he said that's so  bad,  he stated  could fill the holes on the O side via FA.  Unless it's with 35 yo's that's not so bad particularly on the line as takes some time to learn particularly if a rookie is also next to you on the line.

For the draft BPA is important but also for early round picks, having what I call a "landing spot" is just as important.  In other words a place for the player to play.  You don't want to use another 1st rounder on a QB only to have him sit on the bench or draft 2 tackles in the 1st two rounds when you already have one starter there.

18 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Agreed regarding the 2019 top-10; very defense-heavy.

And I'm totally fine with that; elite pass rushers and corners can change games.  Along with elite pass catchers; those 2 positions make up the 2nd-tier of criticality behind QB.

I know I will get flamed for this one but I would love to see them draft Greedy Williams from LSU to pair up with White.  I think we maybe picking too high though.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Gordio said:

I know I will get flamed for this one but I would love to see them draft Greedy Williams from LSU to pair up with White.  I think we maybe picking too high though.  

I'm sure you'll get flamed, but it'll be very shortsighted of the flame-throwers.

A stud CB is worth as much as any non-QB position in the game. He can cut the field in half and change the way offenses gameplan.

• Like (+1) 1

Not that I would expect Beane to tip his hand, but I would have liked to have heard something about better protecting their QB investment. TE's who can catch and block, and O-linemen who do not get steamrolled into your backfield on just about every play.

That was pretty much a given, he referenced the offense as a whole many times.  

Yes the GM should encourage all such players to stop trying for last quarter of year; would encourage a wave of plantars fakeitis in locker room. You missed your calling and should have been a cheerleader.

I loved everything Beane said, it’s both how I expected him to approach the offseason and exactly how I would too.  

Im hoping we can get 2 to 3 offensive impact players in Free Agency to keep the draft as flexible as possible on BPA.  If we got a defensive impact prospect like Greedy or another pass rusher this defense could begin approaching Seattle type dominant very soon to go along with an ascending QB.  

At the same time, we could also nab the impact defensive player or two in FA too.  I thought last offseason was the most excited I had been in years going into the draft, but this one is going eclipse the excitement level for me because we have the foundation set on both sides, now it’s about building a champion with adding the right pieces.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Gordio said:

I've been thinking about this for a couple weeks. Greedy, Tre and Johnson would be fantastic. I would love to see that trio together.

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

I loved everything Beane said, it’s both how I expected him to approach the offseason and exactly how I would too.  

Im hoping we can get 2 to 3 offensive impact players in Free Agency to keep the draft as flexible as possible on BPA.  If we got a defensive impact prospect like Greedy or another pass rusher this defense could begin approaching Seattle type dominant very soon to go along with an ascending QB.  

At the same time, we could also nab the impact defensive player or two in FA too.  I thought last offseason was the most excited I had been in years going into the draft, but this one is going eclipse the excitement level for me because we have the foundation set on both sides, now it’s about building a champion with adding the right pieces.

you really need to approach the draft this way.....you never know what player is going to rise or fall in the draft.

If you secure the free agents at the needed positions....you can let the draft fall to you.   Pass rush is still needed on this team

19 minutes ago, Gordio said:

I would be perfectly happy trading down a little bit and picking up 2nd/3rd round picks

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

What he's saying here is absolutely the correct way to approach team-building.

Fill needs in FA and let the draft come to you...use your high picks to stock the roster with the best talent at key positions.  Don't force picks for need (unless you don't have a franchise QB hopeful in the queue).

Agreed - I believe they will address a bunch of positions in FA, but not all with the guys you want (more mid-level team players) - they are looking to have a few “holes” as possible at the draft. 

I truly believe they will then draft BPA in the draft to ensure they continue to get talent that fits and is a value to them (even if is a CB in round 1).

It would not shock me to see them explore some trades for WRs also - just to supplement the FA class.

They (Sean and Brandon) talk about this all the time this and they seem so prepared that I feel like we are in a good place.  They have a plan and will follow it through.

Finally - they both come from Carolina and that organization recognized the need for talent at O-Line and TE (more so than WR) so I do not anticipate that this front office would not recognize the need to protect JA going forward.

1 hour ago, HansLanda said:

I am 100% OK with a "boring" draft where they sit with the picks they have OR move back to accumulate more. They just have to plug as many holes with impact players as possible. It really doesn't matter to me as long as they get guys that can play. Reaching for anyone is not an option. 

Good post. I agree with your position. I don't see this regime going out and spending a disproportionate amount of their cap for a big time player such as Julio Jones. From how they have operated my sense is that they would prefer spreading the cap money around to in general bolster the roster. 

This regime's two drafts have been solid. Their inclination is to follow the same route of emphasizing the draft for player acquisition and using their cap $$$ for multiple mid-level pickups rather than paying big bucks for a big time player or two. I agree with this approach. While some people make the judgment that this approach isn't working my judgment is the opposite. I would avoid the big splash for the more numerous little splashes. 

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is where I’m at. This team needs an infusion of talent (especially on offense). Get as many good players as you can.

Yup.  If the Bills trade "up" in this draft I'll be surprised.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Gordio said:

Considering 3-1 is probably more likely than 0-4 with final games being mostly at home against other sub-.500 teams (miami will be that by then :)), we may be too low, but that being said, I would love this pick. That's potentially two elite young cornerbacks with Taron Johnson and Levi Wallace (who have both flashed starter ability) coming in in packages. In a passing league, I'd love that.

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Good post. I agree with your position. I don't see this regime going out and spending a disproportionate amount of their cap for a big time player such as Julio Jones. From how they have operated my sense is that they would prefer spreading the cap money around to in general bolster the roster. 

This regime's two drafts have been solid. Their inclination is to follow the same route of emphasizing the draft for player acquisition and using their cap $$$ for multiple mid-level pickups rather than paying big bucks for a big time player or two. I agree with this approach. While some people make the judgment that this approach isn't working my judgment is the opposite. I would avoid the big splash for the more numerous little splashes. 

Generally speaking, the best bang-for-the-buck free agents can be interior O-line. You don't break the bank, and yet you get "right now" NFL players. I can totally see this team going higher end vet Oline in FA, then taking BPA - likely defense - with its first 1st round pick...then Oline with the KC pick.

That said, you have to hit on your skill position draft picks. Not a great, high-end class of WRs, but that doesn't mean there isn't someone that can be a difference maker over time. Be boring and get beef up front, then keep all your picks and take as many shots as possible. I'm still largely fine with BPA but they have to weight skill positions a little more this year.

• Like (+1) 2