Brandon Beane Gives Blueprint to Critical 2019 Offseason

Orchard Park, N.Y. -- The Buffalo Bills sit at 4-8 with four games left in rookie quarterback Josh Allen's first season after he bececame the organization's highest-drafted quarterback ever in April.

Allen, the season's focal point after two decades of mediocrity at the quarterback position for the Bills, has gone 3-4 as a starter and has flashed all the skills and faultsexperts predicted during the draft process.

With just a quarter of the season remaining and the playoffs almost completely off the table, NYUP.com sat down with Bills general manager Brandon Beane to take some inventory of the team and talk through the 2019 offseason process, which could be the most important one of the past three decades for the Bills.

Allen is coming off arguably the two best games of his career. Some of the young talent around him has started to show but how can Beane put more talent around his quarterback? The process for making those moves has already begun.
  • Like (+1) 1

Not that I would expect Beane to tip his hand, but I would have liked to have heard something about better protecting their QB investment. TE's who can catch and block, and O-linemen who do not get steamrolled into your backfield on just about every play.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 3

I just really hope he understands the heavy amount of work that needs to be done on the O-line. WR is a big need as well, but it won't mean anything unless we get some major upgrades on the line. 

I'm a BPA guy for the draft so I agree with what he's saying there, as long as he's still able to make the significant moves needed on offense in other ways. Forcing it at positions you need is how EJ Manuel happens. 

• Like (+1) 5

Just now, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I just really hope he understands the heavy amount of work that needs to be done on the O-line. WR is a big need as well, but it won't mean anything unless we get some major upgrades on the line. 

I'm a BPA guy for the draft so I agree with what he's saying there, as long as he's still able to make the significant moves needed on offense in other ways. Forcing it at positions you need is how EJ Manuel happens. 

He has to.  Simply no getting around it with the interior needing the most immediate attention from guard to guard. 

• Like (+1) 5

I am 100% OK with a "boring" draft where they sit with the picks they have OR move back to accumulate more. They just have to plug as many holes with impact players as possible. It really doesn't matter to me as long as they get guys that can play. Reaching for anyone is not an option. 

Edited by HansLanda
  • Like (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Not that I would expect Beane to tip his hand, but I would have liked to have heard something about better protecting their QB investment. TE's who can catch and block, and O-linemen who do not get steamrolled into your backfield on just about every play.

I'm not concerned that he doesn't realize the upgrade that unit needs. It's the worst offensive line I've ever seen. He knows it's an issue.

I tend to hear a lot these days about how O-linemen are coming into the league, needing more seasoning, due to the style of offensive play in gimmicky, college offenses. I'm sure hoping that Beane is thinking about this, too, and considering FA for O-line help, and BPA in the draft. The only hat tip in the article is that he would really prefer to go BPA in the draft. I hope, for one, he does go for proven O-line help in FA; guys coming off their rookie deals who have started to "get it". 

Just my 2 cents. 

Edited by ROCBillsBeliever
  • Like (+1) 2

I’m sure it’s a little difficult to discuss now even in office for them, as you’ll need to see who is re-signed and who are surprise cap casualty cuts. I fully expect a lot of “who is that guy” signings along with some mid tier guys. I don’t think even with the cap space they’ll target the top available guys. 

We need a bulk of signings in free agency so I expect a lot to be signed, just not the top dollar guys. They seem to favor low key guys who respond to being coached up. Of course maybe that’s changed some now with foundation pieces they seem to have to build on. 

55 minutes ago, HansLanda said:

I am 100% OK with a "boring" draft where they sit with the picks they have OR move back to accumulate more. They just have to plug as many holes with impact players as possible. It really doesn't matter to me as long as they get guys that can play. Reaching for anyone is not an option. 

This is where I’m at. This team needs an infusion of talent (especially on offense). Get as many good players as you can.

• Like (+1) 3

12 hours ago, WideNine said:

I think they are evaluating all positions in the upcoming draft, continuing to evaluate the progress of the players on this team for 4 more games, and looking at the potential FA market as well as the trade market.  These guys are really thorough.  They may even check this board to see what the top football experts in the country think.

Update-It seems They may actually check this board because Beane is now basically saying the same thing I did.

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

What he's saying here is absolutely the correct way to approach team-building.

Fill needs in FA and let the draft come to you...use your high picks to stock the roster with the best talent at key positions.  Don't force picks for need (unless you don't have a franchise QB hopeful in the queue).

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

He better not draft a defensive player in the first 2 rounds.

Trade down if you think you are reaching for an offensive player.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, and a lot of other draft guys as well, there really isn't an impact offensive player that should be drafted in the first half of this draft (1st Round, obviously).  So, if the Bills end up in the top 10, they may have no choice but to draft a defensive player.  That, or trade down, if possible, because the offensive value just isn't there this year.

Edited by sven233
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, sven233 said:

Unfortunately, in my opinion, and a lot of other draft guys as well, there really isn't an impact offensive player that should be drafted in the first half of this draft.  So, if the Bills end up in the top 10, they may have no choice but to draft a defensive player.  That, or trade down, if possible, because the offensive value just isn't there this year.

Agreed regarding the 2019 top-10; very defense-heavy.

And I'm totally fine with that; elite pass rushers and corners can change games.  Along with elite pass catchers; those 2 positions make up the 2nd-tier of criticality behind QB.

• Like (+1) 2