Brandon Beane Gives Blueprint to Critical 2019 Offseason

1 hour ago, cage said:

Two years ago we barely knew who Micah Hyde and Jordan Poyer were...

I knew Hyde for sure but I had no clue Poyer could ever be a starting safety. 

I like the mid tier of free agency. There’s room for growth and not the finished product that’s getting a fat contract and never has to play hard again if they don’t want to 

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

I don't entirely disagree, but I think I may not have made my point clear in my initial question.  It seemed like you were saying "no LB or DT for any reason whatsoever", which is a thought process I can't agree with.

IMO, if that LB or DT had a grade that was elite-level, then you definitely take him, because that's what the top 10 is for.  It also happens to be that the DL appears to be the most well-stocked area when it comes to top-10 talent for the 2019 draft, so it's entirely possible that the team's highest graded player will be a DT or DE.

And in that case, I'm totally fine with taking that guy.

To me, imo the most valuable positions on a football field nowadays on Defense are DE and CB. You really need 2 very good CB's in this day and age. Guys who can lock down the best WR's. Then you need an elite pass rushers whether it be OLB's that can get after it or DE's. I wouldn't mind a Ferrell, or a Josh Allen. I just dont want a DT in round 1. I get it if there is an Aaron Donald you take him, but the chances of that are slim and the past drafts prove my point on that. 

Outside of Donald, Fletcher Cox, and Sheldon Rankins (guys who dominant as a run stopper and pass rusher) the only other elite DT's came out of the 2012 class in the last 7 or 8 years. 

No DT drafted in the first round

Sheldon Rankins (Elite)

Kenny Clark (Bust)

Robert Nkemdiche (Bust)

Vernon Butler (Bust)

Danny Shelton (Bust)

Malcolm Brown (Average)

Aaron Donald (Elite)

Dominique Easley (Bust)

Sheldon Richardson (Good)

Star Lotulelei (Solid)

Shariff Floyd (Bust)

Sylvester Williams (Bust)

Dontari Poe (Good)

Fletcher Cox (Elite)

Michael Brockers (Good)

Marcell Dareus (Average)

Nick Fairley (Bust)

Corey Liuget (Average)

Phil Taylor (Bust)

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is where I’m at. This team needs an infusion of talent (especially on offense). Get as many good players as you can.

Yep BPA. If it turns out Ed Oliver is there and we are at 10 fine take him or if someone else wants him take the picks and run. The last two drafts the Bills have got starters on the following so I trust their drafting:

2017: Tre White, Zay Jones, Dawkins, & Milano

2018 Edmunds, Teller, Allen, & T. Johnson

I'd like to see what they could do with a few second and thirds instead of trading them.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, WideNine said:

Not that I would expect Beane to tip his hand, but I would have liked to have heard something about better protecting their QB investment. TE's who can catch and block, and O-linemen who do not get steamrolled into your backfield on just about every play.

He won't, but he wasn't entirely misleading in his comments either. From the article, it sounds like his ideal scenario is to go BPA in any draft in general as much as possible, and to use FA to support that goal of minimizing needs going into the draft. 

There are many different philosophies out there for how to approach FA and the draft, and some even treat them as mutually exclusive of each other in terms of how they are used to build out a roster. Jury is still out, but he admitted Allen/QB was his target first and foremost last year, but that the rest of the players fell as the draft unfolded and the Bills boards were reconciled. It's speculation, but it appears Beane thinks the draft is best utilized by pursuing BPA as a priority, and taking select picks at positions of need if the value is there. 

As for FA, it sounds like he's resource focused and from the jist of the article, it seems as though he's more for getting a guy that will fit and impact the roster (as does every GM) but that he isn't so much concerned with what he'd have to pay to get them here a la his mention of limited resources losing out to higher offers from other teams. Plenty of people here would be concerned by that, and I'm always skeptical of overpaying FA players myself. But it sounds like we can hedge our bets that Beane will provide ample incentive if he likes a guy, and we've already seen the contracts he offered to Star and Murphy as evidence that he's not afraid to commit $ for potential. I haven't seen anything to the contrary so far, but I'd like to hear more about locking down some of our clear young talent (Tre, Milano, etc.) for longer term when the time comes, and how that may affect spending this FA year and the next.

But to your point, we all have an ideal situation in our head, but I like that Beane at least knows that the draft and FA are very much connected and that depending on how FA fairs affects how a team approaches any draft. While I would love to see both Paradis and Saffold on our OL next year, the chances of us landing even one of them are unlikely. And if both Little and Williams are off the board by the time we pick, we may have very different options available to address our OL needs. I think it's this scenario that Beane may use to justify spending as much as he might in FA. Beane clearly knows the needs of the team, but that doesn't mean that he'll be able to address everything no matter the priority. Case example is this past offseason - even with limited resources we offered John Brown an FA deal which was refused, and Beane attempted signings of WRs from other teams all while we thought the position was being ignored.

Edited by ctk232
  • Like (+1) 1

When Brandon Beane speaks, it shows how clueless many whiny-@$$ people on this board really are.

He clearly sees the deficiencies in our offense.  He clearly saw them last offseason.

But wanting something and being able to realistically obtain them is not always the same thing. 

We didn't have the salary cap space or the interest from guys they wanted in Free Agency, so the money went towards the defensive holes instead.  After landing Allen, the draft board just didn't make it worth reaching for offensive linemen or offensive weapons, compared to the defensive talent sitting there.

Beane isn't trying to rebuild the 84 Bears.  He wants a powerhouse offense that can put up 30+ points every week.  But he's not going to shell-out terrible/overpriced contracts or reach in the draft, just to satisfy an impatient fanbase.  He knows the way to properly build a team is by being patient and smart. 

9 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

When Brandon Beane speaks, it shows how clueless many whiny-@$$ people on this board really are.

He clearly sees the deficiencies in our offense.  He clearly saw them last offseason.

But wanting something and being able to realistically obtain them is not always the same thing. 

We didn't have the salary cap space or the interest from guys they wanted in Free Agency, so the money went towards the defensive holes instead.  After landing Allen, the draft board just didn't make it worth reaching for offensive linemen or offensive weapons, compared to the defensive talent sitting there.

Beane isn't trying to rebuild the 84 Bears.  He wants a powerhouse offense that can put up 30+ points every week.  But he's not going to shell-out terrible/overpriced contracts or reach in the draft, just to satisfy an impatient fanbase.  He knows the way to properly build a team is by being patient and smart. 

Signing Trent Murphy was a horrible long lasting decision along with Star.  We have rotational help on the defensive line but no real offensive line and receivers are such a weakness and tight-ends with an aging running back that nothing was really done to fill in any gaps.  What McBeane wants is the 2000’s era Baltimore Ravens.  Star and Murphy are rotational guys and that’s about it.  Over paying for that isn’t helping and wasn’t helping to begin with.

5 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Matt Paradis - Center for the Broncos who is going to be a FA.

Image result for matt paradis

This is what should be arriving on his driveway on the first day of free agency.

Image result for Brinks truck

Yep, my #1 target.

6 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He has to.  Simply no getting around it with the interior needing the most immediate attention from guard to guard. 

Get a top notch, smart, smash ya off the ball center to QB the line and everything else will be that much smoother. A few guards are needed that can actually pull! Heck, this line cant execute a screen let alone run block. I can see the Bills grabbing 4 new linemen thru FA and the draft.

58 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

To me, imo the most valuable positions on a football field nowadays on Defense are DE and CB. You really need 2 very good CB's in this day and age. Guys who can lock down the best WR's. Then you need an elite pass rushers whether it be OLB's that can get after it or DE's. I wouldn't mind a Ferrell, or a Josh Allen. I just dont want a DT in round 1. I get it if there is an Aaron Donald you take him, but the chances of that are slim and the past drafts prove my point on that. 

Outside of Donald, Fletcher Cox, and Sheldon Rankins (guys who dominant as a run stopper and pass rusher) the only other elite DT's came out of the 2012 class in the last 7 or 8 years. 

No DT drafted in the first round

Sheldon Rankins (Elite)

Kenny Clark (Bust)

Robert Nkemdiche (Bust)

Vernon Butler (Bust)

Danny Shelton (Bust)

Malcolm Brown (Average)

Aaron Donald (Elite)

Dominique Easley (Bust)

Sheldon Richardson (Good)

Star Lotulelei (Solid)

Shariff Floyd (Bust)

Sylvester Williams (Bust)

Dontari Poe (Good)

Fletcher Cox (Elite)

Michael Brockers (Good)

Marcell Dareus (Average)

Nick Fairley (Bust)

Corey Liuget (Average)

Phil Taylor (Bust)

DT just as important- everything starts in the trenches

36 minutes ago, Joeziehmer said:

Signing Trent Murphy was a horrible long lasting decision along with Star.  We have rotational help on the defensive line but no real offensive line and receivers are such a weakness and tight-ends with an aging running back that nothing was really done to fill in any gaps.  What McBeane wants is the 2000’s era Baltimore Ravens.  Star and Murphy are rotational guys and that’s about it.  Over paying for that isn’t helping and wasn’t helping to begin with.

Remind me what our D-Line looked like at the end of 2017.  We desperately needed help.

The reason Murphy and Lotulelei are "rotational" is because we were able to ALSO add Harrison Phillips in the draft, Jordan Phillips in free agency - not to mention convincing Kyle Williams to stay another year, and getting a breakout season from Shaq Lawson. 

Both were good adds.  Not Pro-Bowlers.  But players that help make this team better. 

And if you don't see the improvement in our Defense this season, you simply don't understand football.  Plain and simple.

And for the millionth time.  This rebuilding project was not about JUST 2018.  It was about the long-term future of this team.

If Beane had used his resources on the offensive instead, everyone would be complaining that he "ignored" the defense.

6 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I'm not so sure they should be. We'll see how he develops.

I haven't dissected his every play, but he seems like he's doing well for a late round pick..processing the trust and all, and progressing as well as Cookie for a 5th rounder. We shall see

8 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Orchard Park, N.Y. -- The Buffalo Bills sit at 4-8 with four games left in rookie quarterback Josh Allen's first season after he bececame the organization's highest-drafted quarterback ever in April.

Allen, the season's focal point after two decades of mediocrity at the quarterback position for the Bills, has gone 3-4 as a starter and has flashed all the skills and faultsexperts predicted during the draft process.

With just a quarter of the season remaining and the playoffs almost completely off the table, NYUP.com sat down with Bills general manager Brandon Beane to take some inventory of the team and talk through the 2019 offseason process, which could be the most important one of the past three decades for the Bills.

Allen is coming off arguably the two best games of his career. Some of the young talent around him has started to show but how can Beane put more talent around his quarterback? The process for making those moves has already begun.

Is bean for real?? Draft defense in first two rounds is he drinkin the purple drink????

I think that is most likely the way.  Pay in FA for O lineman.  Draft 2 to grow.  Early pass rusher or catcher.  Buffalo needs to try and add the best possible players.  I would take runs at all the top tier players. Bell and Lawrence come to mind.  Cover all holes in FA use the draft to add talent.  

8 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Yes the GM should encourage all such players to stop trying for last quarter of year; would encourage a wave of plantars fakeitis in locker room. You missed your calling and should have been a cheerleader.

Wow, lighten up Francis. Do your replies always have to drift into douchebaggery.