Brandon Beane Gives Blueprint to Critical 2019 Offseason

10 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Whats the likelihood that happens though? That’s my whole point there isn’t a plethora of Aaron Donald’s running around the league.  Your more likely to get a solid guy in round 2 or 3 than you are to get a difference maker in round 1 imo

I don't entirely disagree, but I think I may not have made my point clear in my initial question.  It seemed like you were saying "no LB or DT for any reason whatsoever", which is a thought process I can't agree with.

IMO, if that LB or DT had a grade that was elite-level, then you definitely take him, because that's what the top 10 is for.  It also happens to be that the DL appears to be the most well-stocked area when it comes to top-10 talent for the 2019 draft, so it's entirely possible that the team's highest graded player will be a DT or DE.

And in that case, I'm totally fine with taking that guy.

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Sooooo.....can we just ban this guy already, or are we still waiting a bit longer?

I.....disagree with this, to put it mildly.

Drafting an offensive line core would make sense to build around Allen.  Sorry, if I don’t place blind trust in the process.  Guessing with the Logic of the cover photo anyone who doubts McBeane should be faced with a punishable execution of death by a thousand praises heaped upon McBeane and then having it printed and used to drop on the offender from a very high height.  

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I predict there will be a lot of unhappy TBDers on draft day, because I think the Bills are going to draft a defensive linemen.

I can just hear the outrage now. "HOW CAN YOU DRAFT A PLAYER AT THE TEAM'S DEEPEST UNIT?!?! FIRE McBEANE!!! GRRRR Rabble Rabble!!!"

Here's the thing: The absolute, no-doubt-about-it, undisputed deepest talent pool in the draft this year is along the defensive line. And after that, other defensive players in general. We could see 22-25 first round picks spent on defensive players.

So if the Bills see an offensive player sitting there at their pick that fits the value, then great, pick him. But there's a very high likelihood that the best players on the board at the time they pick will be defensive players. And to those saying "JUST TRADE DOWN!": It's not always that easy. It requires that someone ELSE wants to trade up. And there's also no guarantee that offensive player X will still be there at the pick you traded down to.

One more thing: Our three biggest impact front seven defenders are old or GETTING old. Zo and Kyle both might retire, and Jerry Hughes is no spring chicken. Furthermore, once Kyle retires, there will be a GAPING hole at 3T, which is a crucial position in McDermott's defense. If an Ed Oliver or Josh Allen are there at the Bills pick and present the best value, they'd being doing themselves a disservice not to take said player.

I think you are spot on. Granted the needs are well established on offense but with a draft heavy in quality D-linemen, and the scenarios you have mapped out, not taking one could be a big mistake. 

Edited by iinii
Grammar
  • Like (+1) 1

Beane has to know this offseason is make or break for him at OBD. 

I expect him to continue being aggressive, targeting players in free agency and through trades who can fill immediate holes, and then go into the draft looking to draft BPA when they get the opportunity. 

I imagine they'll take a hard run at a premier offensive lineman, and explore the trade market for high end wide receivers who can immediately give Allen a number one weapon to throw to. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Beane has to know this offseason is make or break for him at OBD. 

I expect him to continue being aggressive, targeting players in free agency and through trades who can fill immediate holes, and then go into the draft looking to draft BPA when they get the opportunity. 

I imagine they'll take a hard run at a premier offensive lineman, and explore the trade market for high end wide receivers who can immediately give Allen a number one weapon to throw to. 

If that's not the plan, then I'm not sure I want Beane in charge.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, thebandit27 said:

If that's not the plan, then I'm not sure I want Beane in charge.

I hope they don't rely on the wide receivers in free agency. None of them are very good, so if he wants to be aggressive, do it on a veteran wide receiver who can come in and play at a high level immediately. 

They obviously need to upgrade the OL. I don't expect 3 new starters from free agency on the OL but do think they'll go after whoever turns out being one of the best options available, and then add further upgrades in the draft. 

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Here's the thing: The absolute, no-doubt-about-it, undisputed deepest talent pool in the draft this year is along the defensive line. And after that, other defensive players in general. We could see 22-25 first round picks spent on defensive players.

Could but not likely that many DL players will be selected unless you are counting LBs who on certain downs will go to line of scrimmage.

2 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I hope they don't rely on the wide receivers in free agency. None of them are very good, so if he wants to be aggressive, do it on a veteran wide receiver who can come in and play at a high level immediately. 

They obviously need to upgrade the OL. I don't expect 3 new starters from free agency on the OL but do think they'll go after whoever turns out being one of the best options available, and then add further upgrades in the draft. 

I think they'll try very hard to add 2 starters on the OL in FA.  I also wouldn't be surprised at all to see them make a run at trading for an OLmen...a team like Oakland, who is paying huge money to all 3 interior guys, wants to stockpile picks, and hates their own players, might be willing to part with any of Osemele/Hudson/Jackson for a song.

The pivotal approach will be WR.  If they can pull off a heist and land a Julio or AB for a 1st round pick, it'd be amazing, but more likely their going to have to go with the quantity-of-speed approach a la McVay/Nagy year 1 free agency.

9 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I think they'll try very hard to add 2 starters on the OL in FA.  I also wouldn't be surprised at all to see them make a run at trading for an OLmen...a team like Oakland, who is paying huge money to all 3 interior guys, wants to stockpile picks, and hates their own players, might be willing to part with any of Osemele/Hudson/Jackson for a song.

The pivotal approach will be WR.  If they can pull off a heist and land a Julio or AB for a 1st round pick, it'd be amazing, but more likely their going to have to go with the quantity-of-speed approach a la McVay/Nagy year 1 free agency.

I doubt it.

Beane knows the reason they're rebuilding is because they poured so much money into free agents 4 years ago.

I doubt they repeat that mistake by handing out close to the most money in the NFL again by adding multiple free agents and veteran contracts via trades. 

I think they'll be selective and continue adding cheap vets who fill specific roles and investing in high end prospects in the draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I can't help but think that a single bona fide number one wide receiver would do wonders for the offense as a whole. Just look at what Amari Cooper has done for Dallas.

I'd offer a pick for AJ Green or try to sign Tyrell Williams if he hits free agency. Either guy would be the number 1 wideout, which would allow Foster to slip to the number 2/speed option on the opposite side and Zay Jones to move to his natural slot position. Then you'd have McKenzie for the gadget plays and whatever 2nd-5th round wideouts they draft as depth/developmental prospects.

Don't get me wrong -- I hope they add MULTIPLE receiving options this offseason. But if they can add a quality center, tackle, and a legitimate #1 wideout through free agency, they'll be in good shape.

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

I can't help but think that a single bona fide number one wide receiver would do wonders for the offense as a whole. Just look at what Amari Cooper has done for Dallas.

I'd offer a pick for AJ Green or try to sign Tyrell Williams if he hits free agency. Either guy would be the number 1 wideout, which would allow Foster to slip to the number 2/speed option on the opposite side and Zay Jones to move to his natural slot position. Then you'd have McKenzie for the gadget plays and whatever 2nd-5th round wideouts they draft as depth/developmental prospects.

Don't get me wrong -- I hope they add MULTIPLE receiving options this offseason. But if they can add a quality center, tackle, and a legitimate #1 wideout through free agency, they'll be in good shape.

Tyrell Williams does nothing for me. In no world is he a #1 receiver in the NFL. He's a decent #2 as a deep threat, but he's never going to be a guy who gets 7-10 targets a game. 

Julio Jones is someone who would make sense. He's not happy with his contract and we can pay him a fortune over the next 3 years. 

He would be the ideal player to put with Josh Allen for the next couple years. Big, strong, physical, and one of the best deep threats in the league. 

Alternatively the WR draft class looks to be absolutely loaded. There are several guys with future #1 ability. 

Edited by jrober38

Just now, jrober38 said:

I doubt it.

Beane knows the reason they're rebuilding is because they poured so much money into free agents 4 years ago.

I doubt they repeat that mistake by handing out close to the most money in the NFL again by adding multiple free agents and veteran contracts via trades. 

I think they'll be selective and continue adding cheap vets who fill specific roles and investing in high end prospects in the draft. 

The reason that they're re-building is because they didn't like who the team had invested their money in.  Otherwise, why jettison a player like Dareus just to pay $10M/year to Star in free agency?  Why decline the option on Sammy Watkins just to trade a pick for a lesser player in Kelvin Benjamin?

The cap doesn't become restrictive until teams decide that they're in position to win a Super Bowl for a very short period of time and go hog wild on spending, like Jacksonville and Minnesota.  Beane and McDermott made a conscious decision to change the culture of the team by gutting the roster of the "old guard" of talent and start from scratch with their own guys.  That they were willing to spend $17M per year on a combo like Star and Murphy tells me that they have no compunction with paying prime dollars in FA.  The bigger issue will be whether or not those dollars go to worthy acquisitions.

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

The reason that they're re-building is because they didn't like who the team had invested their money in.  Otherwise, why jettison a player like Dareus just to pay $10M/year to Star in free agency?  Why decline the option on Sammy Watkins just to trade a pick for a lesser player in Kelvin Benjamin?

The cap doesn't become restrictive until teams decide that they're in position to win a Super Bowl for a very short period of time and go hog wild on spending, like Jacksonville and Minnesota.  Beane and McDermott made a conscious decision to change the culture of the team by gutting the roster of the "old guard" of talent and start from scratch with their own guys.  That they were willing to spend $17M per year on a combo like Star and Murphy tells me that they have no compunction with paying prime dollars in FA.  The bigger issue will be whether or not those dollars go to worthy acquisitions.

I just don't see it.

The odds of the Bills getting two quality linemen and pulling off a trade when there are so many other teams out there with tons of cap space and in need of OL help just doesn't seem like something that will happen.

One elite vet and a draft pick from one of our first three picks seems achievable. I can see us picking another OL with one of our day 3 picks as well. 

8 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Should have found trade partners while Clay and KB had one good season left.  McBeane are in over their heads and they know it.  Fans wanting to be die hardship will continually defend them until they get fired and than complain about how players or fans didn’t support them enough.  

7 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I doubt it.

I hear you jrob but I got a question.

Beane has 90 million in cap space.  If he only adds all cheap vets in FA how much do you expect him to spend?

How much does he hold on to roll into 2020?

Personally I think he holds more than a lot of people expect, maybe 20-25 or so.

Even after re=signing a few of our own FAs he still is going to spend 50 million.

I can see 1-2 high $ signings IF he can get them.

A couple of high $ FAs will not put them in cap trouble.

What do you think?

14 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Tyrell Williams does nothing for me. In no world is he a #1 receiver in the NFL. He's a decent #2 as a deep threat, but he's never going to be a guy who gets 7-10 targets a game. 

Fair enough. 

To me, there are a few things that lead me to believe he could be great here.

To start with, he's the only guy in the free agent pool that isn't 30 years or older. That's the first thing. 

The second thing is that he's 6 foot 4 and has elite deep speed. He also has a 1,000 yard receiving season under his belt.

If you put THAT guy across from Foster as the outside threats, and Zay Jones as the "move the chains" slot guy, you're gonna have an explosive offense. But I certainly understand where you're coming from.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Joeziehmer said:

Should have found trade partners while Clay and KB had one good season left.  McBeane are in over their heads and they know it.  Fans wanting to be die hardship will continually defend them until they get fired and than complain about how players or fans didn’t support them enough.  

I don't agree with the bold.

4 hours ago, buffalobillswin said:

One thing that will really help imo is a Tarik Cohen, Dion Lewis, Duke Johnson type. A pass catching rb who can be used in multiple ways. 

What I would give to have Fred Jackson be 12 years younger

Absolutely....... Hey, LeVeon Bell is available! What better weapon for Allen? 1,100 rushing / 1,000 receiving. 

As as far as the draft, the article, Brandon Beane drafting DL.......... Would not upset me if we drafted Josh Allen from Kentucky or Clelin Ferrell from Clemson. Greedy Williams opposite of Tre White is also highly palatable. If they can add a high end C and a RT in free agency we can go into the draft just needing guard, we have more options. 

6 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I hear you jrob but I got a question.

Beane has 90 million in cap space.  If he only adds all cheap vets in FA how much do you expect him to spend?

How much does he hold on to roll into 2020?

Personally I think he holds more than a lot of people expect, maybe 20-25 or so.

Even after re=signing a few of our own FAs he still is going to spend 50 million.

I can see 1-2 high $ signings IF he can get them.

A couple of high $ FAs will not put them in cap trouble.

What do you think?

The Bills probably try to bring a few of their own players back.

Kyle Williams, Lorenzo Alexander, Jordan Mills, Jordan Phillips, Matt Barkley and they probably tender all of their exclusive rights free agents. 

Looking at the roster, our biggest needs (duh!) on O are on the OL and WR. The WR free agent class is very weak, and I'm not in favour of overpaying a bunch of #2 and #3 receivers to perform at a level they're incapable of. 

As a result, I'd like to see them go after an elite interior offensive lineman to shore things up there. A right tackle would also make sense, but I'm not sure you're finding anyone better than Jordan Mills who is under the age of 30. This spot probably makes sense to target in the 1st or 2nd round of the draft. 

Otherwise, going position by position, there's really not much that's going to be available. Mostly older players in their 30s coming off big contracts, but no one I'd love to see the Bills splash big money on which is why I think they should keep going after deals, and focus most of their attention on the draft. 

• Thank you (+1) 2