Brandon Beane Gives Blueprint to Critical 2019 Offseason

31 minutes ago, Gordio said:

I know I will get flamed for this one but I would love to see them draft Greedy Williams from LSU to pair up with White.  I think we maybe picking too high though.  

I think in this pass happy league with the best QBs and teams you have to have two shutdown corners. 

If that’s Williams then I have zero problem with it, but you better be ready to pay them when their contracts are up. 

We play the Pats and even tho Tom Brady is close to retirement I suspect they’ll be good for about another 2-3 years. Having Tre White, Williams, Johnson, and Wallace as a top 4 and Poyer and Hyde at safety with a hopefully developing Siran Neal make us the proper kryptonitr for the Pats in the future but also the Chiefs hopefully down the road. 

Just don’t take a LB or a DT in round 1 and I’m okay with it. 

6 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

I think in this pass happy league with the best QBs and teams you have to have two shutdown corners. 

If that’s Williams then I have zero problem with it, but you better be ready to pay them when their contracts are up. 

We play the Pats and even tho Tom Brady is close to retirement I suspect they’ll be good for about another 2-3 years. Having Tre White, Williams, Johnson, and Wallace as a top 4 and Poyer and Hyde at safety with a hopefully developing Siran Neal make us the proper kryptonitr for the Pats in the future but also the Chiefs hopefully down the road. 

Just don’t take a LB or a DT in round 1 and I’m okay with it. 

What if the DT turned out to be an Aaron Donald type?

1 hour ago, BuffAlone said:

I think they are comfortable with Teller moving forward as a starter. Center and RG are definite needs as is quality depth all across the line.

What do you do at RT?

I extend Dawkins ASAP. Bring in a OT Round 1 that may need time to develop/battle with Dawkins. Best man win LT spot.

or do you resign Mills who should have an affordable salary to maintain RT (ugh), but build up C and RG....?

18 minutes ago, yungmack said:

If Beane signs another bunch of nearly worthless FAs to the offense and uses the draft picks to load up on more D picks, he should be thrown into Lake Erie.

I think you should try. He would probably pin you and shove your head into a pile of manure.

Matt Paradis / Rodger Saffold / Leveon Bell / Tyrell Williams

I'm not sure the cap savings on cutting Shady, but given we have ample space, it might be better to transition him to a more part time role. People will flame paying Bell, but with cheap guys at expensive positions, I think we can easily stomach the luxury.

Paradis and Saffold can replace what we had with Wood / Richie with young (cheap) oline around them between Dawkins / Teller / potentially highly drafted tackle.  I don't expect a WR to be worthy our or first draft spot, but Williams is a lot of what we need (big guy who can win vertically) and would pair nice with Zay + a 2nd/3rd round WR.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, yungmack said:

If Beane signs another bunch of nearly worthless FAs to the offense and uses the draft picks to load up on more D picks, he should be thrown into Lake Erie.

this is dumb. if your attempting to compare last offseason to this offseason then you are also dumb and don't understand football, both the game and the team building aspect of it. 

3 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Matt Paradis / Rodger Saffold / Leveon Bell / Tyrell Williams

I'm not sure the cap savings on cutting Shady, but given we have ample space, it might be better to transition him to a more part time role. People will flame paying Bell, but with cheap guys at expensive positions, I think we can easily stomach the luxury.

Paradis and Saffold can replace what we had with Wood / Richie with young (cheap) oline around them between Dawkins / Teller / potentially highly drafted tackle.  I don't expect a WR to be worthy our or first draft spot, but Williams is a lot of what we need (big guy who can win vertically) and would pair nice with Zay + a 2nd/3rd round WR.

I like everything here. I wont flame you for Bell, but I don't agree that we should be targeting him. If he has to settle for less money because no one wants to pay him a ridiculous contract then fine, but I would rather keep shady/draft someone/pay someone else. I agree we could probably "stomach the luxury" right now of paying him, but I don't want those ramifications down the road and would rather spend the money elsewhere (even if we have enough). We likely dont need to worry about Bell though, McBeane wants team first guys.

But please, give me Paradis/Saffold/Williams ALLLL DAMNNN DAYYYYY

3 hours ago, WideNine said:

Not that I would expect Beane to tip his hand, but I would have liked to have heard something about better protecting their QB investment. TE's who can catch and block, and O-linemen who do not get steamrolled into your backfield on just about every play.

That's what I was expecting too. some kind of hint that he's going to bring in upgraded talent on the OL, and more competition at the WR spot even though I do like Zay, Foster & McKenzie

I predict there will be a lot of unhappy TBDers on draft day, because I think the Bills are going to draft a defensive linemen.

I can just hear the outrage now. "HOW CAN YOU DRAFT A PLAYER AT THE TEAM'S DEEPEST UNIT?!?! FIRE McBEANE!!! GRRRR Rabble Rabble!!!"

Here's the thing: The absolute, no-doubt-about-it, undisputed deepest talent pool in the draft this year is along the defensive line. And after that, other defensive players in general. We could see 22-25 first round picks spent on defensive players.

So if the Bills see an offensive player sitting there at their pick that fits the value, then great, pick him. But there's a very high likelihood that the best players on the board at the time they pick will be defensive players. And to those saying "JUST TRADE DOWN!": It's not always that easy. It requires that someone ELSE wants to trade up. And there's also no guarantee that offensive player X will still be there at the pick you traded down to.

One more thing: Our three biggest impact front seven defenders are old or GETTING old. Zo and Kyle both might retire, and Jerry Hughes is no spring chicken. Furthermore, once Kyle retires, there will be a GAPING hole at 3T, which is a crucial position in McDermott's defense. If an Ed Oliver or Josh Allen are there at the Bills pick and present the best value, they'd being doing themselves a disservice not to take said player.

• Like (+1) 4

trading back and grabbing Biadsaz wouldn't be a terrible idea.  Get a Center who can play with Allen for years. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-bosa-goes-first-renners-first-2019-mock

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

I predict there will be a lot of unhappy TBDers on draft day, because I think the Bills are going to draft a defensive linemen.

I can just hear the outrage now. "HOW CAN YOU DRAFT A PLAYER AT THE TEAM'S DEEPEST UNIT?!?! FIRE McBEANE!!! GRRRR Rabble Rabble!!!"

Here's the thing: The absolute, no-doubt-about-it, undisputed deepest talent pool in the draft this year is along the defensive line. And after that, other defensive players in general. We could see 22-25 first round picks spent on defensive players.

So if the Bills see an offensive player sitting there at their pick that fits the value, then great, pick him. But there's a very high likelihood that the best players on the board at the time they pick will be defensive players. And to those saying "JUST TRADE DOWN!": It's not always that easy. It requires that someone ELSE wants to trade up. And there's also no guarantee that offensive player X will still be there at the pick you traded down to.

One more thing: Our three biggest impact front seven defenders are old or GETTING old. Zo and Kyle both might retire, and Jerry Hughes is no spring chicken. Furthermore, once Kyle retires, there will be a GAPING hole at 3T, which is a crucial position in McDermott's defense. If an Ed Oliver or Josh Allen are there at the Bills pick and present the best value, they'd being doing themselves a disservice not to take said player.

totally agree.  if they can't trade down, I have no problem with DL, or Josh Allen (LB)

1 hour ago, Gordio said:

I know I will get flamed for this one but I would love to see them draft Greedy Williams from LSU to pair up with White.  I think we maybe picking too high though.  

Greedy may be BPA where we draft.  If that's the case, I would expect the Bills to be getting a lot of calls--teams like Steelers, etc., esp. if Levi Wallace keeps playing well.  But if there is no value in the trade, I'd get Greedy at CB and draft Greedy. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I’m sure it’s a little difficult to discuss now even in office for them, as you’ll need to see who is re-signed and who are surprise cap casualty cuts. I fully expect a lot of “who is that guy” signings along with some mid tier guys. I don’t think even with the cap space they’ll target the top available guys. 

We need a bulk of signings in free agency so I expect a lot to be signed, just not the top dollar guys. They seem to favor low key guys who respond to being coached up. Of course maybe that’s changed some now with foundation pieces they seem to have to build on. 

Two years ago we barely knew who Micah Hyde and Jordan Poyer were...

43 minutes ago, Logic said:

Or

It pushes the best offensive players down to us.....even if we trade down for additional picks

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

What if the DT turned out to be an Aaron Donald type?

Whats the likelihood that happens though? That’s my whole point there isn’t a plethora of Aaron Donald’s running around the league.  Your more likely to get a solid guy in round 2 or 3 than you are to get a difference maker in round 1 imo

46 minutes ago, Logic said:

Great post and I approve this message lol

Rooting for a GM and Coach who should have found a backup like Barkley to translation as starter; before the start of the season cemented in my eyes the nepotism which fans are willing to give and grant a pass too.  You guys say it’s indefensible to keep Nate Peterman and yer here you go defending it.  You even have McClappy going nuts and demanding DaBoll slow down his rhythm pass practices with Josh Allen during a practice after the Vikes games.  They ran out of passes before the Bears game and they proved the low levels of intelligence involved in the process.  Hey in a few years though Brad Childress or Mike Vick could come in after the AAF Atlanta Legends bringing Metzlaars back as a line Coach where he also won a Super Bowl Coaching the line with Indy.  

4 minutes ago, Joeziehmer said:

Rooting for a GM and Coach who should have found a backup like Barkley to translation as starter; before the start of the season cemented in my eyes the nepotism which fans are willing to give and grant a pass too.  You guys say it’s indefensible to keep Nate Peterman and yer here you go defending it.  You even have McClappy going nuts and demanding DaBoll slow down his rhythm pass practices with Josh Allen during a practice after the Vikes games.  They ran out of passes before the Bears game and they proved the low levels of intelligence involved in the process.  Hey in a few years though Brad Childress or Mike Vick could come in after the AAF Atlanta Legends bringing Metzlaars back as a line Coach where he also won a Super Bowl Coaching the line with Indy.  

Sooooo.....can we just ban this guy already, or are we still waiting a bit longer?

10 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Whats the likelihood that happens though? That’s my whole point there isn’t a plethora of Aaron Donald’s running around the league.  Your more likely to get a solid guy in round 2 or 3 than you are to get a difference maker in round 1 imo

I.....disagree with this, to put it mildly.

Edited by Logic

2 minutes ago, Joeziehmer said:

Rooting for a GM and Coach who should have found a backup like Barkley to translation as starter; before the start of the season cemented in my eyes the nepotism which fans are willing to give and grant a pass too

Whaaaaat?

2 minutes ago, Joeziehmer said:

.  You guys say it’s indefensible to keep Nate Peterman and yer here you go defending it.  You even have McClappy going nuts and demanding DaBoll slow down his rhythm pass practices with Josh Allen during a practice after the Vikes games.  

Whaaaaat?

They ran out of passes before the Bears game and they proved the low levels of intelligence involved in the process.

??????????

Hey in a few years though Brad Childress or Mike Vick could come in after the AAF Atlanta Legends bringing Metzlaars back as a line Coach where he also won a Super Bowl Coaching the line with Indy.  

Take a lap

3 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

He better not draft a defensive player in the first 2 rounds.

Trade down if you think you are reaching for an offensive player.

I think you are going to be somewhat disappointed when he takes a DL in the first round.