30 for 30 Bobby Knight

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Do you have DirectvNow?  I have it and it misses recordings pretty frequently....pretty frustrating.

No.  I've got Verizon Fios and it's been really good about picking these things up. 

2 minutes ago, bbb said:

No.  I've got Verizon Fios and it's been really good about picking these things up. 

Okay.  Do you have On Demand?

DirectvNow really needs to fix this issue.  I'll go to my recordings where I set up the entire series to be recorded...check my library and it's just completely gone.  I got to set it up again.  Luckily it recorded this one.

17 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Okay.  Do you have On Demand?

DirectvNow really needs to fix this issue.  I'll go to my recordings where I set up the entire series to be recorded...check my library and it's just completely gone.  I got to set it up again.  Luckily it recorded this one.

Yeah, I'm going to have to check that same thing on mine. 

I read A Season on the Brink while in high school and that portrayal pales in comparison to what I saw in that 30 for 30. The term megalomaniac is just the tip of iceberg with Knight. He's a sad, bitter old man who will go to his grave with so many grudges and ill feelings towards so many people.  I can't imagine living life so angry all the time.  

14 minutes ago, Bullpen said:

I read A Season on the Brink while in high school and that portrayal pales in comparison to what I saw in that 30 for 30. The term megalomaniac is just the tip of iceberg with Knight. He's a sad, bitter old man who will go to his grave with so many grudges and ill feelings towards so many people.  I can't imagine living life so angry all the time.  

Did you see the interview with Dan Patrick last year?  Dan asked him if he will ever return to IU in the future.

Patrick: "Why do we want you to go back to Assembly Hall so bad? I know that might not be on your wishlist or front burner here, but why do we the fans want closure with this, coach?"

Knight: "Well, I think I've always really enjoyed the fans, and I always will. On my dying day, I'll think about how great the fans at Indiana were. And as far as the hierarchy at Indiana University at that time, I have absolutely no respect whatsoever for those people. And with that in mind, I have no interest in ever going back to that university."

Patrick: "Aren't all those people out of there, coach?"

Knight: "I hope they're all dead."

Patrick: "I know some of them are."

Knight: "Well, I hope the rest of them go."

Patrick: "I'd like to still see you on that court with that '76 team or Isaiah (Thomas)'s team. We want closure. Maybe you don't need the closure, I don't know. I still hope for it one day."

Knight: "Well, hope rides eternal."

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bullpen said:

hatchet piece written out of bitterness from the cover photo

thank goodness we don't have to pay any attention to horrible writers like that any more, back then basically 6 of them controlled the entire national conversation

***** every one of them

32 minutes ago, row_33 said:

hatchet piece written out of bitterness from the cover photo

thank goodness we don't have to pay any attention to horrible writers like that any more, back then basically 6 of them controlled the entire national conversation

***** every one of them

I've read a few Feinstein books and it's like anything west of Indiana doesn't even exist. I'm currently reading a book he wrote about life in minor league baseball and it's like he never even heard of the Pacific Coast League, the Pioneer League, etc... His book on service academy football? A few scraps about the Air Force Academy. As I've aged, I find his work more and more myopic.  

Knight is a classic bully and ego-driven psychopath.  Guys like him are a dime a dozen in the business world.

And yet he was also an enormous doer of good and involved in a LOT of charity work and money raising efforts for all kinds of worthy recipients.

A very complex fellow.

I don't know how my DVR missed it.  It's set to record the next 30 for 30 next week - the Buster Douglas one..............I was able to see that Knight is also reairing that night, so I had to manually set the recording for that - like a friggin slave! 

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 11:43 AM, KD in CA said:

No question he’s one of the greatest coaches ever, because of the way he drove himself and others. The guy only knew one way to do that, and it was shocking because he was coaching college basketball.  

Its too bad he wasn’t a civil war general.  Imagine that documentary.

Pickett's last charge would have been named Knight's last charge. 

• Haha (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Bullpen said:

I've read a few Feinstein books and it's like anything west of Indiana doesn't even exist. I'm currently reading a book he wrote about life in minor league baseball and it's like he never even heard of the Pacific Coast League, the Pioneer League, etc... His book on service academy football? A few scraps about the Air Force Academy. As I've aged, I find his work more and more myopic.  

I'm not a huge baseball fan, but I found Living in the Black a great read.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 12/4/2018 at 10:13 AM, row_33 said:

Knight was a hands-on coach who made adjustments in real time and won many big games he shouldn’t have won. Parcells and Belichick as well. The game Generals

coaches like Wooden and Dean Smith and Boeheim were unable to adjust to the game played out and lost several games they had no business losing. 

i prefer the first type of coach 

Boeheim has adjusted plenty of times in games for years 

In the 70-80s he used to run man to man, when they would slack on defense he Went to the 2-3... if that didn’t work he went to his famous press...

now he just runs the 2-3 and press... but that 2-3 can easily be a 4-1

yea he may not be an offensive genius but his defensive adjustments have always been top notch and ahead of his time ... 

thats why coach K wanted to learn the zone from him

Edited by Buffalo716

I was never a fan of the guy who preached discipline.....who had no discipline. We used to have a neighbor who was good friends with him. I didn’t like that guy either. 

Did they include any good recipes? That might be a reason to tune in. 

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:43 PM, Steve O said:

Following his national championship in 87, his 87-88 team struggled. Nonetheless, when one of his star players was arrested, he wasted no time kicking the player off the team as he did not positively reflect the program. How many other coaches would have kept him on pending an investigation? For a long time he refused 9:00 week night games because his players had to be in class the next day. Loved it when he coached the olympic team in 84 (last amateur team I believe) and was asked if the team was every bit as good as it appeared to be. He responded by saying that they probably don't appear to me to be nearly as good as they appear to you to be. Then again, I know a hell of a lot more about than you do.

College sports needs more Bobby Knights, not less.

man I don't know, it is never good to bully people to get your way.  He bullied reporters, some student reports that were just trying to do their jobs, he bullied his players, he bullied IU employees right down to the poor receptionist that was just giving him a message & he bullied the university of Indiana.  Maybe his intentions were good, who knows, but there is a better way to go about it.