Trent Murphy Cap Hit

Joeziehmer

13 minutes ago, Joeziehmer said:

You weren’t a lineman so x-calls and stunts don’t really apply to you, right?  Just coverage zones, reads, and man assignments.  Not gap line assignments and shadow over line assignments or shade over an offensive line side.  

Ok. You were a lineman?

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

That's a fair point, I would prefer to keep Murphy but I am not going to be that upset to see him go for a 5 million dollar cap savings. Although I think Murphy could be in line for major improvement in 2019 as he gets another year removed from injury. Sometimes it takes a player an additional season to fully recover from a major ACL injury. I think getting 5 ish sacks and solid run defense in limited snaps as a rotational player is pretty good for 5 million. But its possible to better use that money elsewhere. 

i'm not giving up on him. he can be a monster across from hughes. however, if he ends the season still hobbled, then.......

33 minutes ago, Joeziehmer said:

You weren’t a lineman so x-calls and stunts don’t really apply to you, right?  Just coverage zones, reads, and man assignments.  Not gap line assignments and shadow over line assignments or shade over an offensive line side.  

I however WAS a linemen....both in high school and college.   I have also coached line at the community college level.

And Im telling you.....stop spewing crap.  You do NOT know what the play call is without the benefit of the bills playbook.   You can see assignments on the field with the eyeball test if you know what you are looking for but you do NOT know the terminology they are using.

Take a lap

Edited by John from Riverside

8 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

We have our serviceable slot receiver already. His name is Zay Jones. We are a top flight WR away from having a decent corp. That is dependant of course on whether or not Foster can become a solid second option on the outside, which I think he can, but Zay can do damage when/ if used properly. Imagine a Julio Jones type, Foster, and Zay working slot. With a gadget/ speedster type for a 4 wide set. Add a good TE and we're good imo.

I'll hang up and listen to your thoughts now?

Zay has played most of his Bills career outside. I think we need a slot. But regardless the position is less important. 

Why pay $5m more than you need to to a guy who is constantly hobbled and not making a significant impact? It could get you a decent slot receiver, a linebacker, a tight end and whoever else. They need to draft a young DE from this very good class which would give them Hughes, Shaq, rookie and Lorax. Suddenly Murphy could be 5th in the rotation at $8.5m a year. No NFL team keeps a guy in that situation. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Zay has played most of his Bills career outside. I think we need a slot. But regardless the position is less important. 

Why pay $5m more than you need to to a guy who is constantly hobbled and not making a significant impact? It could get you a decent slot receiver, a linebacker, a tight end and whoever else. They need to draft a young DE from this very good class which would give them Hughes, Shaq, rookie and Lorax. Suddenly Murphy could be 5th in the rotation at $8.5m a year. No NFL team keeps a guy in that situation. 

Not arguing on Murphy. He's a good player but can't stay on the field. And although yes, Zay has played mostly outside this far, he is much better suited in the slot. He's not blazing by anyone on the outside. He's had great production in college in the slot. And I'd love to see him get back there. 

33 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

Not arguing on Murphy. He's a good player but can't stay on the field. And although yes, Zay has played mostly outside this far, he is much better suited in the slot. He's not blazing by anyone on the outside. He's had great production in college in the slot. And I'd love to see him get back there. 

I don't think he has the short area quickness for the slot. To me he is an outside possession guy. He can play some big slot but the teams that use big slot tend to be ball out quick offenses rather than offenses that want to attack you down the field. 

29 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think he has the short area quickness for the slot. To me he is an outside possession guy. He can play some big slot but the teams that use big slot tend to be ball out quick offenses rather than offenses that want to attack you down the field. 

You may have a point. Although I don't really recall Andre Reed being that explosive in short area quickness. Just catch the ball in rhythm and follow blockers. Not saying Reed was slow by no means, just saying he didn't have that noticeable of an advantage vs coverage in that department. Guess we shall see