Trent Murphy Cap Hit

Joeziehmer

What to do with Trent Murphy when all is said and done?  Still battling injuries, when healthy losing out to Shaq Lawson, and becoming rotational with bad knees.  I didn’t know we were looking for a compliment to Charles Clay on the other side of the ball.  Truthfully a great signing of sabermetrics and playing “money ball” shouldn’t we be developing younger and healthier players?  McBeane brought an end to a drought but lost a season and the locker room.  Next season cutting Murphy would be a hit of $7.5 Million it’s not like a league minimum.  So, do we keep bench warmers to avoid cap hits and hope they fit a rotation for at least a game?  

We need depth for our d line rotation. Why get rid of him and create another hole. When healthy he isn’t that bad. Not sure why people who are battling injuries get crucified. We already will have around 80 mil in cap, how much do we need?

• Like (+1) 8

1 minute ago, Pbomb said:

We need depth for our d line rotation. Why get rid of him and create another hole. When healthy he isn’t that bad. Not sure why people who are battling injuries get crucified. We already will have around 80 mil in cap, how much do we need?

When healthy he gets beat out by Shaq Lawson and has no impact whatsoever.  

Just now, Joeziehmer said:

When healthy he gets beat out by Shaq Lawson and has no impact whatsoever.  

He almost had a safety on Sunday,  makes plenty of other plays as well. Maybe Shaq is actually just playing good. I didn’t know Mcbeane lost the locker room too , thanks for the update

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

I'm fine with Hughes, Lawson and Murphy. Think we can get decent production there if we squeeze hard enough.

Maybe, squeezing Murphy into a defensive tackle position might be an incentive for him and give us a return on investment?  

6 minutes ago, Pbomb said:

He almost had a safety on Sunday,  makes plenty of other plays as well. Maybe Shaq is actually just playing good. I didn’t know Mcbeane lost the locker room too , thanks for the update

The gap he was playing and the stunt and x-calls he assigned got gashed.  He makes smart plays but dumb calls and fits a defensive tackle assignment.  

It is $3.5m dead cap to get out after this year, but it is $8.5m to stay tied in. I think it is a no brainer to cut him. His production isn't worth the extra $5m, he has actually been often times a 4th DE behind Hughes, Lawson and Lorax (who plays there generally on pass downs). Add to that we need to draft a young DE early in the 2019 draft - certainly in the first 3 rounds, because Lawson while a fine player isn't a big pressure guy and Hughes will be 31 when next season begins and Lorax will be 36. The wall could come quickly for them and if you are left then with Murphy and Lawson you are in trouble. Dump Murphy, save the cash and take advantage of this excellent class of edge rushers to find a guy you can plug in on your line for the next 10 years.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Joeziehmer said:

Maybe, squeezing Murphy into a defensive tackle position might be an incentive for him and give us a return on investment?  

Murphy can get you 8-10 sacks when he's healthy and I haven't given up on Lawson yet he was a 1st round pick. They can hold down that LE spot just fine.

Murphy has looked good the last couple of games. We just have to get Murphy playing at 100% healthy. Might as well sit him out for the rest of the year and assure he is healthy for next year start. 

Edited by wppete
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Pbomb said:

Agreed. He is a very good rotational player when available.

1 hour ago, Joeziehmer said:

What to do with Trent Murphy when all is said and done?  Still battling injuries, when healthy losing out to Shaq Lawson, and becoming rotational with bad knees.  I didn’t know we were looking for a compliment to Charles Clay on the other side of the ball.  Truthfully a great signing of sabermetrics and playing “money ball” shouldn’t we be developing younger and healthier players?  McBeane brought an end to a drought but lost a season and the locker room.  Next season cutting Murphy would be a hit of $7.5 Million it’s not like a league minimum.  So, do we keep bench warmers to avoid cap hits and hope they fit a rotation for at least a game?  

I'm sorry, what?  I understand the season, but the locker room?  What have you seen the last few weeks that makes you think he has lost the locker room?  

Murphy has decent production for a rotational guy.  Why do we need to cut him?  What do we gain by doing that?  Its not like we need the cap room.  

What is this thread? 

• Like (+1) 1

Good depth player and very good when healthy.  We are getting out of dead cap hell, why get buried again?  Our cap situation is great.  We have 10 picks.  Lets not create holes, so we can improve upon roster where it is needed

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Why can't we have both Lawson and Murphy?  Is it a bad thing to have at least two solid DE's in a rotation?

Two DEs that can’t rush the passer aren’t worth much. Murphy isn’t moving well at all and bringing him back at 8.5? is an unnessecary gamble. Go back into FA and spin the wheel again.

We badly needed help on the D-Line this offseason, and Trent Murphy has been a solid rotational DE when healthy.  

Part of the reason that he's playing less is because the "younger and healthier" Shaq Lawson is developing into one of our better players.  Not because he is playing bad.

Overall his cap hit (https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/trent-murphy-14456/) the next two years is pretty easy to manage ($6.8 and 7.2 million).  Especially considering the large amount of cap space we have available.  And if the Bills decide to move on, the dead cap is only $3.5 and $1.7 million in 2019-2020 - not the large number that you stated in the original post.

I'm also curious about your comment of Beane/McDermott "losing the locker room" this season, which is a total joke with absolutely no basis.

This team was a finger-tip catch away from winning 3 games in a row.

• Like (+1) 2