Julio Jones and the 2019 Bills

12 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

expecting Ridley to become a first team All Pro and probably HOF'er is mighty presumptuous.

It is very presumptuous. Julio is faster and a lot bigger and stronger. This aside, Ridley sure can play. Not only that, Saban often talked about how Calvin out-worked others. He also has a knack for getting open both in college and at Atlanta.

This kid overcame a lot of misery in his life and having seen his entire college career, I am quite proud of him.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/4/2018 at 1:12 AM, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah, I agree and I brought this up a while ago too.  I think 4 big name WRs have trade potential, some more than others.  I think Julio is top of the list in terms most likely to be available.  And if he is, I think we are certainly in play as a possible suitor and we know Beane is a trade wiz.

1 - Julio:  Falcons need to regroup, especially on the D.  The only year they made serious run and lost SB was when they had a strong defense.  Other than that, they havent even made playoffs much (so much for only offense matter lmao).  This is a good defensive draft, so could be enticing to move him for picks this year.

2 - AJ Green:  Injuries, Age and an expected rebuild I think could see AJ available.  I am not personally that interested as he’s always dealing with injuries.

These next 2 are not as likely to be available, but I think it’s possible they could be:

3 - OBJ:  Impending rebuild is coming, but OBJ is young so they don’t “need” to move him.  But it seems like the FO and Coaching staff are tiring of his attitude and maybe they don’t want to deal with it while rebuilding with a young QB.  So wouldn't surprise me if they moved him for the right offer to help fuel a rebuild around Barkley and what ever QB they draft.  This is also a deep WR draft to.

4 - Antonio Brown:  I think this is the least likely as things seem better since the troubles earlier this year.  But there was some tension between him and the team at times, and if Steelers have an early exit in playoffs, I could see them maybe be opening to trading AB to retool the defense too.  They have young talent at WR behind him and Steelers always seem to move on from their #1 with young prospects ready to move up at WR.  

Green has missed 17 games in 8 years, including 6 this year so injuries arent really an issue but hes 30 also.  With Dalton out, Lewis probably getting fired I could see some big changes in Cinci.  If hes cheaper than what everyones projecting for Julio im all about it.

44 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

Green has missed 17 games in 8 years, including 6 this year so injuries arent really an issue but hes 30 also.  With Dalton out, Lewis probably getting fired I could see some big changes in Cinci.  If hes cheaper than what everyones projecting for Julio im all about it.

He asctually missed 25 games, and 13 in the last 3 years.  He’s only played all 16 just 4 times in his 8 year career.  He also played while frequently being on the injury report too.

I wouldn’t hate getting AJ, but also don’t want to risk too much compensation to get a guy who crossed the 30 mark and has missed 13 games the last 3 season and seems to keep having foot issues.

But I agree, I think he’s the most available top tier WR and if we can get him a lot cheaper than say Julio, then sure go do it.  He’s just riskier is my only knock on him.

Edited by Alphadawg7

16 hours ago, VW82 said:

I think we need more speed to stretch the field and gain separation on intermediate routes. There's a reason Foster and Mckenzie play so much, and Zay isn't exactly a burner. Is Julio that guy? Also, no sign and trade deals. If we have to give up good picks to acquire someone, and then a bunch of money to re-sign him it's too much. You hopefully never make those kind of deals, but if you do it's because you're contending and you're trading for the last piece you need. This is not an indictment of the Shady era (he's a great Bill). 

Idk I thought the trade for Mack was absurd but it can be said he made the bears the worst team in the division, to the top dogs

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He asctually missed 25 games, and 13 in the last 3 years.  He’s only played all 16 just 4 times in his 8 year career.  He also played while frequently being on the injury report too.

I wouldn’t hate getting AJ, but also don’t want to risk too much compensation to get a guy who crossed the 30 mark and has missed 13 games the last 3 season and seems to keep having foot issues.

But I agree, I think he’s the most available top tier WR and if we can get him a lot cheaper than say Julio, then sure go do it.  He’s just riskier is my only knock on him.

Where are you getting 25 from? I only see 10 missed games prior to this season. But yeah thats always a risk, I think the Bengals are the most desperate at this point.  I just want a sure thing safety blanket for our boy JA to have

13 hours ago, Joeziehmer said:

We are building a core around Allen with young undrafted  receivers and finding what will work on tight-ends.  Will folks please stop looking at those like Jones who would shatter us and could lead to us having an under performing salary cap liability.  The recipe for the receiceing corps is not to over pay and allow Josh to make his progressions. 

You need both... you can't just have just a team of low budget draft picks that you hope develop over the next several years... Because even if your dream scenario pans out, they're all gonna be up for huge contracts at the same time.  It's a revolving door.  The idea isn't to give Julio a 5-year massive contract, but you would front load him, maybe a 3-year deal, hopefully be able to develop some young guys behind, while trying to win a super bowl.. which is the idea after all.

On 12/3/2018 at 8:38 PM, Estelle Getty said:

A match made in heaven.  He wants a new contract. The Falcons just took Ridley in the 1st round and will probably be rebuilding with a new coach. He will be 30 next year and has shown no signs of slowing down.  

I actually EXPECT Beane to make a run for him this off season.  We have seen he likes to wheel and deal and next year he will have the $ and picks at his disposal.  It fills probably our biggest need besides O-line, which is a true #1 reciever. Give him a 3 year 60 million dollar extension and everybody is happy. I don’t know what it would take to get him, maybe a 1st and a 4th or so.  

Then our 2019 Wr would look something like:

1.Julio Jones

2. Zay Jones

3. Isiah Mckenzie

4. Robert Foster

5. Fill in the blank

Get Allen a “waterbug” type running back, a # 1 tight end, 3 more offensive linemen and you have a division winner next year IMO. Oh yeh and a new special teams coach for good measure.  

Love it 

11 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

Idk I thought the trade for Mack was absurd but it can be said he made the bears the worst team in the division, to the top dogs

Where are you getting 25 from? I only see 10 missed games prior to this season. But yeah thats always a risk, I think the Bengals are the most desperate at this point.  I just want a sure thing safety blanket for our boy JA to have

Oops, I misread my own handwriting when I was looking at those 4 WRs and looking at their history.  It’s still 13 games in the last 3 years, and from having him in fantasy I know he’s been on the injury report a lot during that time even when he didn’t miss a game.  So just concerning he’s had some lingering foot issues and in last 3 seasons has missed 6 games or more twice.  He is 30 now, risk only increases for injury too.

Again, wouldn’t hate getting him, just don’t want to pay a bounty and would prefer to address WR in draft if his price tag is too high due to age and recent issues with injuries. 

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Oops, I misread my own handwriting when I was looking at those 4 WRs and looking at their history.  It’s still 13 games in the last 3 years, and from having him in fantasy I know he’s been on the injury report a lot during that time even when he didn’t miss a game.  So just concerning he’s had some lingering foot issues and in last 3 seasons has missed 6 games or more twice.  He is 30 now, risk only increases for injury too.

Again, wouldn’t hate getting him, just don’t want to pay a bounty and would prefer to address WR in draft if his price tag is too high due to age and recent issues with injuries. 

Haha same, if I lose my FF league because he went down last week I dont ever want to see him here again.  EVER, but maybe

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

So why not keep Ridley and Julio next year?

1) They are at odds about his contract.

They feel like he signed for what he signed for and the fact that they got a bargain in retrospect shouldn't matter.

He feels grossly underpaid and briefly held out of TC.

He's having a great year so as a fan of a team that hasn't had a receiving season like that since Eric Moulds peak in 1998 it would seem like a no-brainer to re-do his deal but they've been dragging their feet hard.

These situations often prove difficult to reconcile.

2) You'd think that Ryan and Julio were a match made in heaven by the yardage stats............but you could also say that Ryan doesn't need the biggest and best deep ball receiver in the game when his passing range is contracting.

It doesn't show in "air yards" because Ryan really thrives at making intermediate 20 yard type throws that are still technically "long".........but his ability to throw the ball deep is in steep decline.   It's a big reason for the decline in Julio's TD production.  Perhaps the Falcons would look at it and figure they can find a cheaper, younger guy that fits Ryan's game and not have to mess around with extending Julio and instead deal him for picks.

3) The situation in Atlanta has grown stale............they lose a lot of games to inferior teams........even when you take into account their injuries on defense they shouldn't be losing a lot of these games.

Perhaps they decide to shake things up.

Sometimes you can't see it coming at this point of the season.    Nobody saw Gruden dismantling the Raiders.    When McD took over nobody thought they were going to tear down the team and get rid of all of the young core talent.........the reason for losing was considered to be almost entirely on coaching.

In summation:

The money is better on him getting a re-structured deal with a big raise and staying in Atlanta...........but the above reasons aren't nothing and he's only got a $5M dead cap hit if traded.     

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

1) They are at odds about his contract.

They feel like he signed for what he signed for and the fact that they got a bargain in retrospect shouldn't matter.

He feels grossly underpaid and briefly held out of TC.

He's having a great year so as a fan of a team that hasn't had a receiving season like that since Eric Moulds peak in 1998 it would seem like a no-brainer to re-do his deal but they've been dragging their feet hard.

These situations often prove difficult to reconcile.

2) You'd think that Ryan and Julio were a match made in heaven by the yardage stats............but you could also say that Ryan doesn't need the biggest and best deep ball receiver in the game when his passing range is contracting.

It doesn't show in "air yards" because Ryan really thrives at making intermediate 20 yard type throws that are still technically "long".........but his ability to throw the ball deep is in steep decline.   It's a big reason for the decline in Julio's TD production.  Perhaps the Falcons would look at it and figure they can find a cheaper, younger guy that fits Ryan's game and not have to mess around with extending Julio and instead deal him for picks.

3) The situation in Atlanta has grown stale............they lose a lot of games to inferior teams........even when you take into account their injuries on defense they shouldn't be losing a lot of these games.

Perhaps they decide to shake things up.

Sometimes you can't see it coming at this point of the season.    Nobody saw Gruden dismantling the Raiders.    When McD took over nobody thought they were going to tear down the team and get rid of all of the young core talent.........the reason for losing was considered to be almost entirely on coaching.

In summation:

The money is better on him getting a re-structured deal with a big raise and staying in Atlanta...........but the above reasons aren't nothing and he's only got a $5M dead cap hit if traded.     

The other thing is the Falcons are 4-8 with Julio so it's not like him being there is really helping them much. Their defense is insanely bad and they are probably going to want as many draft picks as they can get in a defense heavy draft to fix it. They are already paying Ryan a crap ton so I doubt they are going to want to pay Julio some outrageous some of money to stay there considering they drafted Calvin Ridley last year.