Julio Jones and the 2019 Bills

8 hours ago, transient said:

Jim Kelly the HOF QB of the Buffalo Bills and Jim Kelly the deceased martial artist/actor are two different people.  What does any of this have to do with the Bills WR MacKenzie Phillips?

What does MacKenzie Phillips have to do with this thread? Pot. Kettle. Black.

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

You're right about the eighties. My mistake, I meant the era you referred to, the Butler years, which was the second most recent time they were in serious cap difficulties. Unfortunately, Whaley managed it again.

But no, they didn't have $30 mill last offseason, at least not till they did some real cutting to start to dig their way out from under.  They went into the offseason with around $16 mill under the cap, which made them 26th or 27th in the league. Only after they cut Tyrod and a few others did they make $30 mill available to themselves, at the cost of a lot of dead money.

And no, you don't "need to spend 90% of their cap room over a 3 year period," as you claim. You have to spend 89% over a four year period. And since we have been close to the cap by the end of seasons for years now, this will put very little pressure on us. And even if you did underspend for four years, you don't lose anything except giving back money to the NFLPA. Nobody's forced to spend nutsily to avoid the salary cap floor by these rules. Certainly not from one year of having $40 or $50 mill left over under the cap if that's how they decide to go.

And yeah, they could have signed anyone last year ... if they had been willing to dig themselves even further into cap hell. Sure, guys with huge credit card debt can nearly always get a new card or two and dig themselves deeper. It's spectacularly stupid, but possible. Same here. Sure, they could have dove deeper into the crap, but it would've been dumb. Not to mention mistimed. You don't spend a ton on FAs when you're doing a near-complete rebuild. 

And yeah, back in the 90s the Bills pushed cap debt forward every year ... which is why they then had one of the NFL's all time worst cap situations and were forced to do a massive roster dump leading into the Whitey years. Oh, and speaking of the Whitey years, 2001 to 2005, where are all these high-priced FAs you're claiming he brought in?

Your thing about "five years of no cap room," is just ridiculous and off-point. Nobody said it was supposed to last five years, unless maybe you did. Their roster purge got them back in decent cap shape in a couple of years, which is what tends to happen. But they had a 3-win, and 8-win and a 6-win season as a result of having to dump so many players.  You rebuild. It's immensely painful and gets the whiners moaning and pissing for two or three years and then if the FO is capable things can get better.

The Browns were forced to spend nutsily last year. It's why they took on the Osweiler contract. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, greenyellowred said:

What does MacKenzie Phillips have to do with this thread? Pot. Kettle. Black.

It's a thread about Julio Jones as part of a hypothetical Bills receiving corps, so unless you think they're going to cut him in the offseason I would counter that Ian MacKenzie deserves to be mentioned in this thread.  History. Condemned. Repeat.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

No....as much as I love Julio he's on the wrong side of 30. Draft Marquise Brown and maybe offer Funchess a cheaper deal. Keep developing Foster, McK and Zay. And find a decent TE to compliment Croom.

James Lofton was 33 when the Bills acquired him back in 89 and 4 productive seasons. But the Bills were also a playoff caliber squad by that time. Julio can easily play at a high level for the next 3-4 years. The question is will Buffalo field a championship caliber roster by that time. There are too many holes at this point to make a move for Jones.

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

You're right about the eighties. My mistake, I meant the era you referred to, the Butler years, which was the second most recent time they were in serious cap difficulties. Unfortunately, Whaley managed it again.

But no, they didn't have $30 mill last offseason, at least not till they did some real cutting to start to dig their way out from under.  They went into the offseason with around $16 mill under the cap, which made them 26th or 27th in the league. Only after they cut Tyrod and a few others did they make $30 mill available to themselves, at the cost of a lot of dead money.

And no, you don't "need to spend 90% of their cap room over a 3 year period," as you claim. You have to spend 89% over a four year period. And since we have been close to the cap by the end of seasons for years now, this will put very little pressure on us. And even if you did underspend for four years, you don't lose anything except giving back money to the NFLPA. Nobody's forced to spend nutsily to avoid the salary cap floor by these rules. Certainly not from one year of having $40 or $50 mill left over under the cap if that's how they decide to go.

And yeah, they could have signed anyone last year ... if they had been willing to dig themselves even further into cap hell. Sure, guys with huge credit card debt can nearly always get a new card or two and dig themselves deeper. It's spectacularly stupid, but possible. Same here. Sure, they could have dove deeper into the crap, but it would've been dumb. Not to mention mistimed. You don't spend a ton on FAs when you're doing a near-complete rebuild. 

And yeah, back in the 90s the Bills pushed cap debt forward every year ... which is why they then had one of the NFL's all time worst cap situations and were forced to do a massive roster dump leading into the Whitey years. Oh, and speaking of the Whitey years, 2001 to 2005, where are all these high-priced FAs you're claiming he brought in?

Your thing about "five years of no cap room," is just ridiculous and off-point. Nobody said it was supposed to last five years, unless maybe you did. Their roster purge got them back in decent cap shape in a couple of years, which is what tends to happen. But they had a 3-win, and 8-win and a 6-win season as a result of having to dump so many players.  You rebuild. It's immensely painful and gets the whiners moaning and pissing for two or three years and then if the FO is capable things can get better.

I've been talking salary cap here since the 1990's dude............I've always been dead nuts on projecting this stuff........it's really not hard.

The high priced free agents Donahoe brought in started with Fletcher then Spikes and Adams and Posey and Centers and re-signing Moulds and making Milloy the highest paid safety in football and included taking on Drew Bledsoe who had just signed richest contract in NFL history 11 months before they acquired him!   :doh:

Your salary cap situation = your flexibility.

When you are projecting to be $80M and $120M under for the next two offseasons.......and incredibly don't EVEN have a first or second round pick to worry about extending in that time......you are the epitome of "GOLDEN".

This is a pretty misguided post. Atlanta has a down year because the defense literally lost half their secondary and their best linebacker plus a few other injuries. Quinn at minimum has one more season for sure if not more. They have a lot of talent and their going to add a bluechip pass rusher this draft. If anything Atlanta is just stocking up. I'd love Julio but trading one of your best players who helps make that offense go is just not happening. 

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

The Browns were forced to spend nutsily last year. It's why they took on the Osweiler contract. 

The Osweiler deal might still have been better than the Jarvis Landry deal.    Dude averaged 8.8 ypc and they gave him $34M guaranteed in first two years. ?

Hey........they had to spend it and pickings were slim.

But dave......I misspoke........they didn't HAVE to spend it..........all the team has to do if they don't use up the 89% of cap space is pay the NFLPA the difference!

Easy peazy!

What team wouldn't just do that rather than waste it on football players??

I think we need more speed to stretch the field and gain separation on intermediate routes. There's a reason Foster and Mckenzie play so much, and Zay isn't exactly a burner. Is Julio that guy? Also, no sign and trade deals. If we have to give up good picks to acquire someone, and then a bunch of money to re-sign him it's too much. You hopefully never make those kind of deals, but if you do it's because you're contending and you're trading for the last piece you need. This is not an indictment of the Shady era (he's a great Bill). 

What it would take? A first?  Depending on where Buffalo picks I wouldn't hate it?  Biggest need is offense skill positions.  Those may or may not be worth drafting that early.   Most of the time takes a few years to develop.  With the new rules I could see the kid from Oklamaha getting a look if he blazes the combine.  Buffalo needs to be aggressive if they are high on Edmunds and Allen.  

1 hour ago, notwoz said:

Throwing this out for discussion: I wonder if the OBD brain trust shouldn't focus on a top-shelf tight end. 

Albert O from Missouri is a monster and he might be the best pro prospect from Missouri since Kellen Winslow.

A TE like this would be a big help to Allen and I bet you a dollar to a donut that this is one of the draftees that McBeane are really focusing on.

• Like (+1) 1