Is Brian Daboll a HC candidate in Green Bay?

23 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

As a matter of fact, I do think Daboll is bringing the kid along properly.  Let’s start with the offensive design.  Daboll does stuff that makes it easy for Allen.  The kid is comfortable on his feet, so what do we do?  Spread the field and give him a little room to roam.  The yardage isn’t by accident.  Watch the all-22 when it comes out on the run that Allen ended with a slide at the +30.  Daboll takes a heavy package with 2TE and a FB, splits everyone out, moves the LBs to the edges of the field, and allows Allen to break of 20+ without anyone laying a finger on him.  That option went away when the Jets countered by feigning the A-gap blitzes in the second half.  

Let’s walk back to the Jacksonville game, too.  That’s a big, nasty defense.  So what does Daboll do?  Tight splits, condense the field toward the middle, and give the kid a little room on the outside to roam and to throw on roll outs.  

Play action is a young QB’s best friend.  While we’ve gone away from that the last couple of games, we’ve done a healthy amount of that with “levels” concepts mixed in.

To top it off, the kid doesn’t make the same mistakes twice.  It’s a sign of good coaching.  Remember the big shot on the left thigh he took against Jacksonville?  This week he’s sliding to end runs with his feet up to protect himself.  The kid also looks a lot more comfortable in the pocket — which is a reflection of the fact that he’s starting to understand what happens around him.  There’s a long way to go, but the “eye test” on the kid is light years beyond where it was early in the season.   

So yes, while he’s a work in progress I do think he’s being brought along properly.  And now I’ll turn it around on you - you’re entitled to your opinion that Daboll is “fluff,” but I’d like to hear your list of candidates of substance to fill HC openings where the principal task is to develop a young QB.  I’ll put the Jets, the Jags, the Browns, and perhaps even the Cardinals, the Ravens, and the Redskins (assuming Smith is done) on that list.  

Pete Carmichael

Shane Waldron

Mike Kafka

Sean Ryan 

Lincoln Riley

Eric Bieniemy

Zac Taylor

Dan Chambers 

David Shaw

Allen’s legs are going wear out, so while spread and run looks impressive now it won’t last long. As you pointed out the Jets feigned A-gap blitzes and stopped that option. Did Daboll have an answer? College ball is for young people and Daboll.

On 12/9/2018 at 10:44 AM, Ittakestime said:

Allen is the same QB as he was in College.

Please explain to me how Daboll has done anything with Allen?

I think Daboll is a decent coordinator, but it has more to do with what Barkley did, not Allen.

Same qb? He’s really not, more rushing this season than his entire career 

On 12/11/2018 at 12:48 PM, GimmeSomeProcess said:

Same qb? He’s really not, more rushing this season than his entire career 

Because his coach wasn't dumb enough to let him run wild like he did when he first got there and broke his collar bone.

He is the same crappy passer, if that makes you happy.