Is Brian Daboll a HC candidate in Green Bay?

If Allen finishes strong I have to think Daboll would be a candidate for a jets opening.  Not sure about history with their front office, but the guy has brought Allen along the right way and the jets could help themselves and hurt us at the same time with that hire. 

On 12/4/2018 at 7:02 PM, formerlyofCtown said:

I hadnt thought about Rex as head coach in GB.  I wonder how he would do if he had a QB and was given time to aquire players that bought in.?

Oo oo I know, pick me, pick me........ the answer is badly. 

11 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Probably.......perhaps inarguably......... the best run game designer of this generation in the NFL.

As a play caller..........too indecisive.  

Definitely the best run game coordinator of his generation. And everywhere he goes they start to run it well. As a game day play caller yea, indecision sometimes cost him. I think too many plays cost him too. When Lynn was running Roman's scheme he was doing it with a third fewer calls installed for each game.

11 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Was that Chris Palmer?

It was mainly Palmer yea, but Palmer was Roman's guy. He had him in San Fran too. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

If Allen finishes strong I have to think Daboll would be a candidate for a jets opening.  Not sure about history with their front office, but the guy has brought Allen along the right way and the jets could help themselves and hurt us at the same time with that hire. 

The grassy knoll is right behind you.

10 hours ago, iinii said:

The grassy knoll is right behind you.

This is a really dumb reply.  Truth of the matter is that Daboll has done a good job with Allen, and that offensive minds are in demand.  Everybody wants the next Sean McVay.  But that guy probably doesn’t exist.  Somebody like Daboll night be the next best thing.   Incredible pedigree, good job with a young QB this year, and a way to weaken a division rival to boot. 

On 12/7/2018 at 10:42 AM, SectionC3 said:

This is a really dumb reply.  Truth of the matter is that Daboll has done a good job with Allen, and that offensive minds are in demand.  Everybody wants the next Sean McVay.  But that guy probably doesn’t exist.  Somebody like Daboll night be the next best thing.   Incredible pedigree, good job with a young QB this year, and a way to weaken a division rival to boot. 

How about, it ain’t gonna happen? Is pedigree is all on paper. He worked with the Patriots and the GOAT. They both would have achieved the same thing with out him. He didn’t make Alabama the powerhouse it is either. So when he doesn’t get the HC job it will be you with the dumb reply. 

6 hours ago, iinii said:

How about, it ain’t gonna happen? Is pedigree is all on paper. He worked with the Patriots and the GOAT. They both would have achieved the same thing with out him. He didn’t make Alabama the powerhouse it is either. So when he doesn’t get the HC job it will be you with the dumb reply. 

Four points: 1.  I said he well could be a candidate, not that he would get the job.  2.  I didn’t come up with the “grassy knoll” thing.  I suppose this is subjective, but that reply isn’t funny or even comprehensible.  Better said, it was dumb.  3.  Who made what a powerhouse is immaterial.  The point remains that HC candidates who show the ability to develop a young QB will be at a premium as soon as this offseason given the number of younger QBs coming into the league.  4.  Working for saban and belichick isn’t merely paper pedigree.  They don’t suffer fools and he’s shown that he can hack it with the best. 

4 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

Four points: 1.  I said he well could be a candidate, not that he would get the job.  2.  I didn’t come up with the “grassy knoll” thing.  I suppose this is subjective, but that reply isn’t funny or even comprehensible.  Better said, it was dumb.  3.  Who made what a powerhouse is immaterial.  The point remains that HC candidates who show the ability to develop a young QB will be at a premium as soon as this offseason given the number of younger QBs coming into the league.  4.  Working for saban and belichick isn’t merely paper pedigree.  They don’t suffer fools and he’s shown that he can hack it with the best. 

So that is where we disagree. The conspiracy or “grassy knoll” doesn’t exist. The Jets aren’t taking Daboll so that they can have the best OC or HC in the Division, because IMO he (Daboll just so we are clear) isn’t. Who made the powerhouse is VERY material. The only way Daboll coaches a Super Bowl win as an HC is the Barry Switzer way. Feel free to quote me. Thanks. 

I know it won’t happen but I wouldn’t mind promoting Dabol to HC here and bringing in an aggressive mind to coach the Defense. The league is going towards offensive head coaches and McDermott leaves a lot to be desired. I don’t want a complete house cleaning because I don’t want Allen to start over with a new system. In a perfect world McDermott just takes over the Defense, gets rid of Fraiser/Crossman and Castillo. Because I know he won’t get rid of them, I’d be fine with moving on from McDermott. The defense is decent but comes up small in every big spot. I like what Dabol is doing now and I don’t want to split the QB up from the OC.

9 hours ago, iinii said:

So that is where we disagree. The conspiracy or “grassy knoll” doesn’t exist. The Jets aren’t taking Daboll so that they can have the best OC or HC in the Division, because IMO he (Daboll just so we are clear) isn’t. Who made the powerhouse is VERY material. The only way Daboll coaches a Super Bowl win as an HC is the Barry Switzer way. Feel free to quote me. Thanks. 

Of course daboll isn’t the best oc in the Division.  It’s mcdaniels all day long. And, for what it’s worth, I never characterized daboll that way.  

But you still haven’t addressed the point that daboll will be an attractive candidate for an HC job because he is a bright offensive mind who can “raise” a young QB properly.  

15 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Looks like there is a St Francis high school connection with both Jacksonville and Green Bay management. So looks like the only reason he would be in the running is because of nepotism.

Hes not related to those guys (insofar as I know).  So it’s not nepotism.  Much as beane is here bc of a connection to McDermott, not because of nepotism. 

2 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

Of course daboll isn’t the best oc in the Division.  It’s mcdaniels all day long. And, for what it’s worth, I never characterized daboll that way.  

But you still haven’t addressed the point that daboll will be an attractive candidate for an HC job because he is a bright offensive mind who can “raise” a young QB properly.  

You think Daboll has raised the kid properly? I don’t. He hasn’t ever shown that ability at this level so there is nothing to address. He didn’t raise Brady and when not holding Belichick’s, McDaniel’s or Saban’s clipboard has done nothing.  So no, Daboll is more fluff than talent. No matter what Vegas says, Daboll isn’t on anyone’s short list to be an HC. 

1 hour ago, iinii said:

You think Daboll has raised the kid properly? I don’t. He hasn’t ever shown that ability at this level so there is nothing to address. He didn’t raise Brady and when not holding Belichick’s, McDaniel’s or Saban’s clipboard has done nothing.  So no, Daboll is more fluff than talent. No matter what Vegas says, Daboll isn’t on anyone’s short list to be an HC. 

As a matter of fact, I do think Daboll is bringing the kid along properly.  Let’s start with the offensive design.  Daboll does stuff that makes it easy for Allen.  The kid is comfortable on his feet, so what do we do?  Spread the field and give him a little room to roam.  The yardage isn’t by accident.  Watch the all-22 when it comes out on the run that Allen ended with a slide at the +30.  Daboll takes a heavy package with 2TE and a FB, splits everyone out, moves the LBs to the edges of the field, and allows Allen to break of 20+ without anyone laying a finger on him.  That option went away when the Jets countered by feigning the A-gap blitzes in the second half.  

Let’s walk back to the Jacksonville game, too.  That’s a big, nasty defense.  So what does Daboll do?  Tight splits, condense the field toward the middle, and give the kid a little room on the outside to roam and to throw on roll outs.  

Play action is a young QB’s best friend.  While we’ve gone away from that the last couple of games, we’ve done a healthy amount of that with “levels” concepts mixed in.

To top it off, the kid doesn’t make the same mistakes twice.  It’s a sign of good coaching.  Remember the big shot on the left thigh he took against Jacksonville?  This week he’s sliding to end runs with his feet up to protect himself.  The kid also looks a lot more comfortable in the pocket — which is a reflection of the fact that he’s starting to understand what happens around him.  There’s a long way to go, but the “eye test” on the kid is light years beyond where it was early in the season.   

So yes, while he’s a work in progress I do think he’s being brought along properly.  And now I’ll turn it around on you - you’re entitled to your opinion that Daboll is “fluff,” but I’d like to hear your list of candidates of substance to fill HC openings where the principal task is to develop a young QB.  I’ll put the Jets, the Jags, the Browns, and perhaps even the Cardinals, the Ravens, and the Redskins (assuming Smith is done) on that list.