In the pantheon of insufferable douches, Mike Schopp is Zeus.

23 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Perhaps you can recommend an alternative for Bills talk? I’d gladly take my business elsewhere 

Welll, friend, I’ll agree that Buffalo is woefully short when it comes to sports radio.

But Schoop is not sports radio, and never has been.  He’s a wanna be shock jock, and doesn’t even do that well.  Schoop is a wee tiny piece of fecal matter clinging to my rectal hair.  I wipe him off, and flush him down the toilet.

I don'teven watch WGRZ-TV because of that a-hole, lest there still be some loose affiliation.

Sorry I can’t suggest an alternative, other than reading - the which is a skill Schoop does’t posess.

Maybe our Rochester Bills fans have the solution.

3 hours ago, Jpsredemption said:

Schopps affinity for Jackson and hatred of Allen is race relayed. Allens twitter stuff sealed his fate with Schopp. There are other reasons as well but believe it..it's about race.

You might be onto something here.  Also you can make the argument that his hatred of Nate Peterman was race related too

2 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Perhaps you can recommend an alternative for Bills talk? I’d gladly take my business elsewhere 

I like the Bills Beat podcast.  It drops around 8 PM in game day and about 6PM on Thursday before the game.  

For live coverage after the game, the only option is WGR 550.  Unfortunately Empire Sports Net went under 2 decades ago!!!

7 hours ago, clayboy54 said:

Please guys... Just stop listening and he'll go away. Keep listening and he gets to stay. It's that simple.

I've found an alternative, and a GOOD one at that. 

Check out the Sports Bar with Danger & Battaglia. They are on 3-6pm weekdays. They are a breath of fresh air compared to the ear vomit know as Shopp/Bulldog. Check it out!

https://espnrochester.radio.com/shows/sports-bar-danger-battaglia

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Jpsredemption said:

Schopps affinity for Jackson and hatred of Allen is race relayed. Allens twitter stuff sealed his fate with Schopp. There are other reasons as well but believe it..it's about race.

it’s weird because until recently, Schopp didn’t really come across as a SJW at all.  (IMO).

6 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Listening to WGR (specifically the 6am and 3pm shows) discuss Josh Allen developing and looking like the real deal is like watching MSNBC on election night 2016.  

Lol. It's generally group think on this radio station with the "alphas", if you want to call them that, Schopp and White dominating the conversation while their counterparts do little to ever really disagree and make more compelling radio. All four of their political affiliations are very much MSNBC like as well. Schopp often taking Suttle shots at the current administration. 

7 hours ago, RiotAct said:

it’s weird because until recently, Schopp didn’t really come across as a SJW at all.  

He belongs on a west coast campus fighting battles about epidemics that hardly exist.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Idandria said:

I've found an alternative, and a GOOD one at that. 

Check out the Sports Bar with Danger & Battaglia. They are on 3-6pm weekdays. They are a breath of fresh air compared to the ear vomit know as Shopp/Bulldog. Check it out!

https://espnrochester.radio.com/shows/sports-bar-danger-battaglia

Eh, if you're looking for insight, keep looking. The Sports Bar is pretty lowest-common-denominator sports fare.

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

It's not a matter of difference of opinion, it's a matter of a body of work of years worth of being an insufferable douche. The wrong opinion is the cherry on top of the crap sundae.

Great title and you spelled “douche” correctly.

Someone last week spelled it “doosh”

15 minutes ago, dlonce said:

Great title and you spelled “douche” correctly.

Someone last week spelled it “doosh”

I thought "doosh" was a way to try to avoid the bad word filter. But apparently "douche" is just fine. Maybe it's in deference to our Quebecois posters.

Either way, I still find my juvenile mind curiously amused by the idea of the Pantheon of Insufferable Douches.

What do people want in Sports Radio talk show hosts?  

We hate Murphy, we hate Schopp, Bulldog, White, Bucky and Sully.... anyone else?  

We hate everyone in the Buffalo news.  Hate everyone on national telecasts, Lacanfora, etc....

We just want 24 hours of "Sal"?

I couldnt imagine having the job of driving content in the Buffalo market, covering 2 teams who have been really bad and not relevant for a long time

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

We hate Murphy, we hate Schopp, Bulldog, White, Bucky and Sully.... anyone else?  

We hate everyone in the Buffalo news.  Hate everyone on national telecasts, Lacanfora, etc....

I couldnt imagine having the job of driving content in the Buffalo market, covering 2 teams who have been really bad and not relevant for a long time

People can complain about WGR's content all they want, but it seems to be a very successful station. They have balance through out the day. You have John Murphy who thinks there's a chance we can win the super bowl every year. You have Schopp and the Bull Dog who are critical of the teams, which makes it easy to trust what they say, because both teams are usually not very good. I tune in to listen, because usually if they are happy about something, the team must have done something great.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Your point is well made and I largely agree.  Buffalo fans are a finicky bunch for sure.  

I think what happens is there's a faction of fans that take things in stride and there's another faction of fans that get overly emotional about the teams.  The overly emotional fans either need someone to be as upset as they are or they get over the top upset if you don't agree with them.  The take things in stride fans want analysis vs outburts and they get agitated with media trying to elicit responses.  They feel it just dumbs down the overall experience. 

Buffalo media has rarely found that voice that knows how to handle the emotional fans yet still engage them and yet still have knowledgeable insight to attract the fan that wants things broken down. 

There's two things the majority of Buffalo fans don't like.  One is when outsiders criticize us when it's ill informed.   The second thing is local media that aren't fans of the team.  Mike Schopp is not a Buffalo sports fan.  It's a job and I think most think he'd rather us be bad.  That's why Sal is so well liked.  He can be critical of the team but we know he loves them and ultimately wants them to succeed.  

When you say Jackson throws the ball better than Allen.  You want the fans not to like you.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, wagon127 said:

People can complain about WGR's content all they want, but it seems to be a very successful station. They have balance through out the day. You have John Murphy who thinks there's a chance we can win the super bowl every year. You have Schopp and the Bull Dog who are critical of the teams, which makes it easy to trust what they say, because both teams are usually not very good. I tune in to listen, because usually if they are happy about something, the team must have done something great.

I cant figure out why it makes people unhappy and it riles them up.  

I listen to the morning show at work.  I like both guys pretty well enough.  I like hockey hotline as well.  Peters (who I hated with Sylvester) has improved a lot, and him with Biron and Rivet is great.  I do not enjoy the John Murphy show and usually put on music for the rest of the day.  It is just kind of dull, and by then I had enough sports talk.

I dont listen to schopp and the bulldog much.  To me, its very repetitive, as is being a fan of these teams.  I will listen on my commute sometimes and they put on a good show.  When the Sabres were hot, I was tuning in.

There is a show on 1270 with Gleason and Sullivan.  There are various podcasts like Buscaglia and Fairburn which is quite good.  There is that one posted above.  There are options.

It is just a lot.  We are looking at (on WGR) like 60-80 hours per week dedicated to talking about the Bills and Sabres.  What can they possibly talk about that much and remain interesting and pleasing to everybody.

A host saying that "Lamar Jackson has out-passed Josh Allen, come at me", is a smart way to rile people up and fill in some hours.  And it is a defensible position.  It isnt from being a social justice warrior or a "lib".  Its carrying a radio program with limited content in a somewhat uninteresting Bills season.

Edited by May Day 10

18 hours ago, OrtonHearsaWho said:

Mercifully I live in Rochester so I only listen to Schopp during post game on WCMF (I mean could still listen to him in other ways but I don't hate myself enough to do that).  I honestly believe that a) he really is not that big of a fan of the Bills and b) he genuinely hates his job.  The utter disdain and contempt that he seems to have with seemingly EVERY caller is insane.

a. True, many many years ago he said he hated football and was not a fan, and liked other sports instead. His hatred of foofball shows by his idiotic comments, poor analysis, and his desire to talk about himself and other garbage instead. 

b. Partially true. He hates his job when he has to talk to all of his perceived idiotic callers, and when he has to talk football stuff. He seems to only love the part of the job where he is talking to himself, and trying to show how brillant he is and how dumb listeneres are.

• Like (+1) 1